RE: [tracker2] Feature Request

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
      At 07:30 PM 7/2/2007, 'Scott Miller' wrote:
      >I was just looking at that today, actually. Maybe a PASSTHRU command?

      Sounds good. Though it would require an update to OTWinCfg to make
      the new feature complete. <grin>

      Speaking of which, do you plan to provide access to the NICE command
      from OTWinCfg?

      > Do you want it to blindly pass everything that comes in, or use
      > that port switching scheme?

      I think I'd like for everything from the GPS to pass through, though
      I can see that that might bog down the processor in the T2. What I'd
      like to be able to do is connect the GPS to the data port on the
      radio and then connect the computer to the DB-9 so that a mapping
      program on the computer can access the GPS data.

      Now, we could this a step further. The APRSPoint program has many
      limitations as an APRS client, but it does have one feature I really
      like. With a Kenwood TM-D700, I can connect a GPS to the GPS port on
      the radio and connect a computer to the DB-9 port. I can then fire up
      APRSPoint and tell it that it's connected to a D700 in TNC mode (not
      APRS mode) and that it's getting GPS data from the radio/TNC.
      APRSPoint then continuously updates my position on the map based on
      data from the GPS, continuously displays APRS posits, status, and
      weather from beacons that the radio/TNC are decoding, and beacons my
      position and/or status at a fixed rate. Obviously, I'd like for the
      T2 to handle beaconing my position because it has the smarts to do
      so. But I can easily tell APRSPoint to not beacon at all.

      I guess what now realize I'm saying is that APRSPoint connected to a
      T2 in CONVERSE mode may do what I want already. Sounds like I need to
      give that a try. Except for one catch...When I first got my T2, I
      thought it was passing GPS data through to the DB-9 while in CONVERSE
      mode. It's not doing that now. Is there some command I executed that
      I've now forgotten or did a firmware upgrade kill that data?

      Bob...
    • Mike Fenske
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
        Not sure how much extra work it would be (or code space), but would it be possible to have the Tracker2 generate NMEA sentences if the GPS were in Garmin mode?
        i.e. if the GPS were connected to port b in Garmin mode, NMEA sentences come out on port a.

        The only sentence really needed would be $GPRMC.

        Mike Fenske
        VE7MKF

        Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
        > At 07:30 PM 7/2/2007, 'Scott Miller' wrote:
        >> I was just looking at that today, actually. Maybe a PASSTHRU command?
        >
        > Sounds good. Though it would require an update to OTWinCfg to make
        > the new feature complete. <grin>
        >
        > Speaking of which, do you plan to provide access to the NICE command
        > from OTWinCfg?
        >
        >> Do you want it to blindly pass everything that comes in, or use
        >> that port switching scheme?
      • Chris Kantarjiev
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 5, 2007
          I've been asking Scott for this for a while now; I'm glad someone else
          is asking, too :-)

          I think that the nice way to do this is to increase the number
          of beacon text/path/timing possibilities to at least match what
          the KPC3+ can do. This is how those objects are being displayed
          in other digis.

          PASSTHRU for weather/status data on the KISS channel would
          be *awesome*. That would make pushing that data out via the
          attached IGATE very simple (in my setup).

          73 de chris K6DBG
        • Jason Winningham
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
            On Jul 3, 2007, at 4:21 AM, Jon wrote:

            > Anyone on this list going to Huntsville for either the
            > GAREC conference or the hamfest?

            I'll be at the hamfest, not sure about others. Since I live here,
            it's not a lot of trouble for me to get to this one.

            Scott, will you have a table at the hamfest / expo? I have no idea
            if the ARRL is as big a deal as, say, Dayton.

            One of these days I may even join ARRL...

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • 'Scott Miller'
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
              I *might* go to the SW division convention.  At least that one's pretty close to home.  But it's 1/2 the price of Dayton for about 1/8 the traffic, so I'm not sure about it being a particularly profitable venue.  I'll be at DCC in Hartford, but other than that I have no definite plans until Dayton next year.

              I'll be in Cincinnati next week - hopefully my last trip there for the summer, but who knows.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 7, 2007
                I thought of that, and I think it might still be on my feature list somewhere.  I don't think it'd be *too* difficult, since it's already doing a bunch of math to get stuff into APRS format, which has always been tied closely to NMEA.  Man, I wish this thing had another 128k of flash.  =]

                Scott