Re: Hyper Terminal not playing

  • rivers63386
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 4, 2007
      I knew I just wasn't seeing the forest because of the trees.
      It worked first time.
      Just couldn't seem to decide what I was doing wrong.
      I will hook up CTS RTS lines in the cable just so I don't have an
      attack of dumb again.
      THANKS Jason.

      Rod KI0BW

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

      > On Jul 3, 2007, at 9:58 PM, rivers63386 wrote:
      >
      > > Idea's anyone??
      >
      > turn of flow control in hyperterm, since you're using a 3 wire null
      > modem cable (which won't have the hardware flow control lines).
      >
      > -Jason
      > kg4wsv

    • zl1vfo
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
        It's probably a bit late for me to enter into this, but I think I've
        been here before too.
        Have a look at
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/files/Serial%20Cables/3-Wire.gif>
        - I drew up a diagram...

        73s,
        Ian ZL1VFO

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "rivers63386" <rivers63386@...> wrote:

        > I knew I just wasn't seeing the forest because of the trees.
        > It worked first time.
        > Just couldn't seem to decide what I was doing wrong.
        > I will hook up CTS RTS lines in the cable just so I don't have an
        > attack of dumb again.
        > THANKS Jason.
        >
        > Rod KI0BW
        >

        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@> wrote:
        > >

        > > On Jul 3, 2007, at 9:58 PM, rivers63386 wrote:
        > >
        > > > Idea's anyone??
        > >
        > > turn of flow control in hyperterm, since you're using a 3 wire null
        > > modem cable (which won't have the hardware flow control lines).
        > >
        > > -Jason
        > > kg4wsv

      • rivers63386
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
          I understood that I had a three wire cable, but did not know that
          Hyperterm defaulted to flow control.

          This is on the hyperterm setup page where you set 4800 N 8 1 and after
          you save the file, you never have the opportunity to change it again.

          I had to delete my definition file and start over with a new one to
          reset the flow control.

          But then I hooked up the RTS and CTS lines to make the cable a 5 wire.

          All plays well now.

          Rod

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "zl1vfo" <zl1vfo@...> wrote:

          > It's probably a bit late for me to enter into this, but I think I've
          > been here before too.
          > Have a look at

          > - I drew up a diagram...
          >
          > 73s,
          > Ian ZL1VFO
          >

          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "rivers63386" <rivers63386@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I knew I just wasn't seeing the forest because of the trees.
          > > It worked first time.
          > > Just couldn't seem to decide what I was doing wrong.
          > > I will hook up CTS RTS lines in the cable just so I don't have an
          > > attack of dumb again.
          > > THANKS Jason.
          > >
          > > Rod KI0BW
          > >

          > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@> wrote:

          > > > turn of flow control in hyperterm, since you're using a 3 wire
          null
          > > > modem cable (which won't have the hardware flow control lines).
          > > >
          > > > -Jason
          > > > kg4wsv

        • 'Scott Miller'
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
            Anyone know of a good freeware terminal program for Windows that I could link to, and maybe include on my driver CDs?  I use SecureCRT myself, but it's not free and has export restrictions.

            Scott

            I understood that I had a three wire cable, but did not know that
            Hyperterm defaulted to flow control.

            This is on the hyperterm setup page where you set 4800 N 8 1 and after
            you save the file, you never have the opportunity to change it again.

            I had to delete my definition file and start over with a new one to
            reset the flow control.

            But then I hooked up the RTS and CTS lines to make the cable a 5 wire.

            All plays well now.

            Rod

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "zl1vfo" <zl1vfo@...> wrote:

            > It's probably a bit late for me to enter into this, but I think I've
            > been here before too.
            > Have a look at

            <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/tracker2/ files/Serial% 20Cables/ 3-Wire.gif>
            > - I drew up a diagram...
            >
            > 73s,
            > Ian ZL1VFO
            >

            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "rivers63386" <rivers63386@ > wrote:
            > >
            > > I knew I just wasn't seeing the forest because of the trees.
            > > It worked first time.
            > > Just couldn't seem to decide what I was doing wrong.
            > > I will hook up CTS RTS lines in the cable just so I don't have an
            > > attack of dumb again.
            > > THANKS Jason.
            > >
            > > Rod KI0BW
            > >

            > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@> wrote:

            > > > turn of flow control in hyperterm, since you're using a 3 wire
            null
            > > > modem cable (which won't have the hardware flow control lines).
            > > >
            > > > -Jason
            > > > kg4wsv

          • Tony VE6MVP
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
              At 10:35 AM 2007-07-05 -0700, you wrote:

              Anyone know of a good freeware terminal program for Windows that I could link to, and maybe include on my driver CDs?  I use SecureCRT myself, but it's not free and has export restrictions.

              No idea how good it is but I see Hypernet at http://sourceforge.net/projects/hypernet/    Open source.

              Tony
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007

                >Anyone know of a good freeware terminal program for Windows that I could link
                >to, and maybe include on my driver CDs? I use SecureCRT myself, but it's not
                >free and has export restrictions.

                I use TeraTerm. It has been stable since 1998, and still works
                great... It is a free program that is copyrightten by the author, but
                is can be distributed for free. Copyright information is available in
                the source code.

                http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

                NOTICE
                ~~~~~~
                There is no warranty for damages caused by using this package.

                Without written permission by the author (Takashi Teranishi), you may
                not distribute modified versions of this package, and may not distribute
                this package for profit.

                You may not copy any file, module, subroutine and resource
                in this package to create commercial products (including sharewares),
                without written permission by the author.

                If you want to distribute modified versions of Tera Term widely,
                you need also the permission.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
                  > copyrightten

                  Ugg... where did that come from???

                  James
                • 'Scott Miller'
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
                    I'll keep that one in mind.  Does it do XMODEM?  Has anyone tried it with the T2's firmware upload command?

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007

                      > I'll keep that one in mind. Does it do XMODEM? Has anyone tried it with the
                      > T2's firmware upload command?

                      KERMIT
                      XMODEM
                      ZMODEM
                      B-Plus
                      Quick-VAN

                      Plus plain old text transfer with intercharacter and interline timing control.

                      I haven't tried sending firmware from TeraTerm.

                      It's a quick and easy download. No silly files installed all over the
                      hard drive, everything is in one simple directory, just double click
                      the executable. You have to set up a Start Menu icon for it manually
                      if you want that to happen.