Lack of waypoint output

  • k4nnw
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2007
      After giving the Tracker2 a few tests, I too have noticed the bug where positions do not
      get plotted as a result of the missing "N" or "S" in the $GPWPL string. However, my
      understanding was that this worked correctly in Garmin mode. I tried both Garmin mode
      and NMEA mode and neither correctly plotted positions from my D7. This is what it
      showed in HyperTerminal:
      K4NNW-15>S7QS2Y,WIDE3-3:'l4ql K\>
      $GPWPL,3713.29,,08024.85,W,K4NNW-15*18
      $PMGNWPL,3713.29,,08024.85,W,,F,K4NNW-15, ,x*05
      Just to be sure it wasn't just my D7 that was acting strange, I fired up the HamHUDII in my
      pickup and sent out a few packets. This is what they looked like:
      K4NNW-15>APHH2,TRACE2-2:=3713.29N/08024.86Wk254/000
      $GPWPL,3713.29,N,08024.86,W,K4NNW-15*55
      $PMGNWPL,3713.29,N,08024.86,W,,F,K4NNW-15,254/000 ,am*10
      I tried Garmin and NMEA modes on the GPS and neither would plot a waypoint.
      Funny thing is, when I hooked up my D7 to the same GPS (eTrex Legend) it plotted
      waypoints from the T2 and the HUD flawlessly. I was also using the same GPS serial cable
      (albeit with an adapter cable when used with the D7) for all these tests.
      When I sent a packet from my T2 to my D7, this is what HyperTerminal gave me:
      $GPWPL,3713.25,N,08024.85,W,K4NNW*73
      (This is what got my eTrex to actually plot a waypoint).
      As a side note, I tried to get my OpenTracker+ to plot waypoints and, even though it said
      it was decoding them, I didn't see anything in HyperTerminal, let alone the GPS.
      Yes, I have waypoint output enabled on all above devices (save the HUD, which doesn't do
      that).
      If anyone has a clue what's going on here, I'd sure appreciate it.
      73,
      Kenny
      K4NNW
    • 'Scott Miller'
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
        I thought I fixed this - what firmware version are you using?

        Scott

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
          "I thought I fixed this - what firmware version are you using?"

          54085

          I saw that you mentioned that you had it fixed. That's why I was so perplexed.
          Maybe, I somehow grabbed a version in which it wasn't fixed (Correct me if I'm wrong).
          73,
          Kenny
          K4NNW
        • k4nnw
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2007
            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "'Scott Miller'" <scott@...> wrote:

            I thought I fixed this - what firmware version are you using?

            Scott

            I also got the chance to try it out in Garmin mode and it still didn't
            output a waypoint (or give me a 'database error' with mic-e packets).
            Also, when you mention Garmin mode, is this Garmin, or Garmin DGPS? If
            it's DGPS, what are the parameters?
            73,
            Kenny
            K4NNW
          • Mike Fenske
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8, 2007
              Waypoint output works for me with firmware 54085. Only mic_e packets give the database error in NMEA mode. What GPS are you using? I think GARMIN mode is just GARMIN mode, not GARMIN DGPS.

              Is it available for download somewhere? If I update with otwincfg, I get 54085.

              Mike Fenske
              VE7MKF