Hyper Terminal not playing

  • rivers63386
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2007
      Put together the new tracker2. I can program it with otwincfg. Write
      comes back finished.

      It reads the GPS and flashes red until it locks. Then flashes green
      as it receives.

      When hooked to the radio thru the data port (FT1500M) it receives and
      prints on the hyperterm screen.

      Can see all activity on the band. Works as a tracker and beacons
      every, based on the interval set. I can see it on the UI view screen
      when it comes back from the server and it is located right and updates
      at the right interval. I am not the Igate. KI0BW-4

      You can press Ctrl C and the enter bar until you go blue and no
      response back to hyperterm. Will not initialize in comm set up for UI
      view. Cannot send a kiss command.

      Yes I am using a USB to Serial adapter but it works with the T2-135,
      tiny track III and GPS for UI View. Measured nul cable 3 wire, its
      OK. Do I need 5 wire?

      Measured pin 2 of x3 to pin 9 st202 not grounded has continuity.
      Measured pin 8 of st202 to 15 of cpu has cont no gnd.

      I am at the lake cabin and do not have a scope here or I would look at
      signal levels.

      Otwincfg is a bunch faster than 4800 baud but the GPS is only 4800 and
      it reads that.

      That what I can't understand, hears the GPS but not hyperterm.

      Flakey ST202 maybe.

      Idea's anyone??

      Rod
      KI0BW
    • Jason Winningham
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2007
        On Jul 3, 2007, at 9:58 PM, rivers63386 wrote:

        > Idea's anyone??

        turn of flow control in hyperterm, since you're using a 3 wire null
        modem cable (which won't have the hardware flow control lines).

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • rivers63386
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2007
          I knew I just wasn't seeing the forest because of the trees.
          It worked first time.
          Just couldn't seem to decide what I was doing wrong.
          I will hook up CTS RTS lines in the cable just so I don't have an
          attack of dumb again.
          THANKS Jason.

          Rod KI0BW

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

          > On Jul 3, 2007, at 9:58 PM, rivers63386 wrote:
          >
          > > Idea's anyone??
          >
          > turn of flow control in hyperterm, since you're using a 3 wire null
          > modem cable (which won't have the hardware flow control lines).
          >
          > -Jason
          > kg4wsv

        • zl1vfo
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
            It's probably a bit late for me to enter into this, but I think I've
            been here before too.
            Have a look at
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracker2/files/Serial%20Cables/3-Wire.gif>
            - I drew up a diagram...

            73s,
            Ian ZL1VFO

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "rivers63386" <rivers63386@...> wrote:

            > I knew I just wasn't seeing the forest because of the trees.
            > It worked first time.
            > Just couldn't seem to decide what I was doing wrong.
            > I will hook up CTS RTS lines in the cable just so I don't have an
            > attack of dumb again.
            > THANKS Jason.
            >
            > Rod KI0BW
            >

            > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@> wrote:
            > >

            > > On Jul 3, 2007, at 9:58 PM, rivers63386 wrote:
            > >
            > > > Idea's anyone??
            > >
            > > turn of flow control in hyperterm, since you're using a 3 wire null
            > > modem cable (which won't have the hardware flow control lines).
            > >
            > > -Jason
            > > kg4wsv

          • rivers63386
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
              I understood that I had a three wire cable, but did not know that
              Hyperterm defaulted to flow control.

              This is on the hyperterm setup page where you set 4800 N 8 1 and after
              you save the file, you never have the opportunity to change it again.

              I had to delete my definition file and start over with a new one to
              reset the flow control.

              But then I hooked up the RTS and CTS lines to make the cable a 5 wire.

              All plays well now.

              Rod

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "zl1vfo" <zl1vfo@...> wrote:

              > It's probably a bit late for me to enter into this, but I think I've
              > been here before too.
              > Have a look at

              > - I drew up a diagram...
              >
              > 73s,
              > Ian ZL1VFO
              >

              > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "rivers63386" <rivers63386@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I knew I just wasn't seeing the forest because of the trees.
              > > It worked first time.
              > > Just couldn't seem to decide what I was doing wrong.
              > > I will hook up CTS RTS lines in the cable just so I don't have an
              > > attack of dumb again.
              > > THANKS Jason.
              > >
              > > Rod KI0BW
              > >

              > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@> wrote:

              > > > turn of flow control in hyperterm, since you're using a 3 wire
              null
              > > > modem cable (which won't have the hardware flow control lines).
              > > >
              > > > -Jason
              > > > kg4wsv

            • 'Scott Miller'
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
                Anyone know of a good freeware terminal program for Windows that I could link to, and maybe include on my driver CDs?  I use SecureCRT myself, but it's not free and has export restrictions.

                Scott

                I understood that I had a three wire cable, but did not know that
                Hyperterm defaulted to flow control.

                This is on the hyperterm setup page where you set 4800 N 8 1 and after
                you save the file, you never have the opportunity to change it again.

                I had to delete my definition file and start over with a new one to
                reset the flow control.

                But then I hooked up the RTS and CTS lines to make the cable a 5 wire.

                All plays well now.

                Rod

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "zl1vfo" <zl1vfo@...> wrote:

                > It's probably a bit late for me to enter into this, but I think I've
                > been here before too.
                > Have a look at

                <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/tracker2/ files/Serial% 20Cables/ 3-Wire.gif>
                > - I drew up a diagram...
                >
                > 73s,
                > Ian ZL1VFO
                >

                > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, "rivers63386" <rivers63386@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > I knew I just wasn't seeing the forest because of the trees.
                > > It worked first time.
                > > Just couldn't seem to decide what I was doing wrong.
                > > I will hook up CTS RTS lines in the cable just so I don't have an
                > > attack of dumb again.
                > > THANKS Jason.
                > >
                > > Rod KI0BW
                > >

                > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroup s.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@> wrote:

                > > > turn of flow control in hyperterm, since you're using a 3 wire
                null
                > > > modem cable (which won't have the hardware flow control lines).
                > > >
                > > > -Jason
                > > > kg4wsv

              • Tony VE6MVP
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
                  At 10:35 AM 2007-07-05 -0700, you wrote:

                  Anyone know of a good freeware terminal program for Windows that I could link to, and maybe include on my driver CDs?  I use SecureCRT myself, but it's not free and has export restrictions.

                  No idea how good it is but I see Hypernet at http://sourceforge.net/projects/hypernet/    Open source.

                  Tony
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007

                    >Anyone know of a good freeware terminal program for Windows that I could link
                    >to, and maybe include on my driver CDs? I use SecureCRT myself, but it's not
                    >free and has export restrictions.

                    I use TeraTerm. It has been stable since 1998, and still works
                    great... It is a free program that is copyrightten by the author, but
                    is can be distributed for free. Copyright information is available in
                    the source code.

                    http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html

                    NOTICE
                    ~~~~~~
                    There is no warranty for damages caused by using this package.

                    Without written permission by the author (Takashi Teranishi), you may
                    not distribute modified versions of this package, and may not distribute
                    this package for profit.

                    You may not copy any file, module, subroutine and resource
                    in this package to create commercial products (including sharewares),
                    without written permission by the author.

                    If you want to distribute modified versions of Tera Term widely,
                    you need also the permission.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
                      > copyrightten

                      Ugg... where did that come from???

                      James
                    • 'Scott Miller'
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007
                        I'll keep that one in mind.  Does it do XMODEM?  Has anyone tried it with the T2's firmware upload command?

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 5, 2007

                          > I'll keep that one in mind. Does it do XMODEM? Has anyone tried it with the
                          > T2's firmware upload command?

                          KERMIT
                          XMODEM
                          ZMODEM
                          B-Plus
                          Quick-VAN

                          Plus plain old text transfer with intercharacter and interline timing control.

                          I haven't tried sending firmware from TeraTerm.

                          It's a quick and easy download. No silly files installed all over the
                          hard drive, everything is in one simple directory, just double click
                          the executable. You have to set up a Start Menu icon for it manually
                          if you want that to happen.