RE: [tracker2] Feature Request

  • 'Scott Miller'
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2007
      Looks like there's a decent amount of space left in that part of memory.  There are some constraints on it because it can only be erased a page at a time.  I don't like just extending the static configuration, though - it's not a terribly efficient way to use the space.

      For stuff like this where it's a variable number of items, with variable length, it'd make more sense to add some sort of tagged list of data items.  I'd been saving that memory space for scripting code, but maybe it could do both.  The down side is that a list has to be searched through every time you want to find something, but in the case of items like this it'd probably be ok.

      It's something to consider, anyway.  I'll see what I can come up with.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 3, 2007
        --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

        > Looks like there's a decent amount of space left in
        > that part of memory.
        > There are some constraints on it because it can only
        > be erased a page at a
        > time. I don't like just extending the static
        > configuration, though - it's
        > not a terribly efficient way to use the space.
        >
        > For stuff like this where it's a variable number of
        > items, with variable
        > length, it'd make more sense to add some sort of
        > tagged list of data items.
        > I'd been saving that memory space for scripting
        > code, but maybe it could do
        > both. The down side is that a list has to be
        > searched through every time
        > you want to find something, but in the case of items
        > like this it'd probably
        > be ok.
        >
        > It's something to consider, anyway. I'll see what I
        > can come up with.

        Hi,

        I'm not sure about the 'big picture', but in general,
        the most one could have would be one to about 5
        objects/repeaters that could be co-located on a single
        site.

        Anyone on this list going to Huntsville for either the
        GAREC conference or the hamfest? I'd be interested in
        meeting up for an eyeball, and buy eveyone who's
        helped me out a beer (real.. not virtual!).

        Regards
        de John
        EI7IG

        now.
        http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
      • Bob Burns W9RXR
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
          At 07:30 PM 7/2/2007, 'Scott Miller' wrote:
          >I was just looking at that today, actually. Maybe a PASSTHRU command?

          Sounds good. Though it would require an update to OTWinCfg to make
          the new feature complete. <grin>

          Speaking of which, do you plan to provide access to the NICE command
          from OTWinCfg?

          > Do you want it to blindly pass everything that comes in, or use
          > that port switching scheme?

          I think I'd like for everything from the GPS to pass through, though
          I can see that that might bog down the processor in the T2. What I'd
          like to be able to do is connect the GPS to the data port on the
          radio and then connect the computer to the DB-9 so that a mapping
          program on the computer can access the GPS data.

          Now, we could this a step further. The APRSPoint program has many
          limitations as an APRS client, but it does have one feature I really
          like. With a Kenwood TM-D700, I can connect a GPS to the GPS port on
          the radio and connect a computer to the DB-9 port. I can then fire up
          APRSPoint and tell it that it's connected to a D700 in TNC mode (not
          APRS mode) and that it's getting GPS data from the radio/TNC.
          APRSPoint then continuously updates my position on the map based on
          data from the GPS, continuously displays APRS posits, status, and
          weather from beacons that the radio/TNC are decoding, and beacons my
          position and/or status at a fixed rate. Obviously, I'd like for the
          T2 to handle beaconing my position because it has the smarts to do
          so. But I can easily tell APRSPoint to not beacon at all.

          I guess what now realize I'm saying is that APRSPoint connected to a
          T2 in CONVERSE mode may do what I want already. Sounds like I need to
          give that a try. Except for one catch...When I first got my T2, I
          thought it was passing GPS data through to the DB-9 while in CONVERSE
          mode. It's not doing that now. Is there some command I executed that
          I've now forgotten or did a firmware upgrade kill that data?

          Bob...
        • Mike Fenske
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
            Not sure how much extra work it would be (or code space), but would it be possible to have the Tracker2 generate NMEA sentences if the GPS were in Garmin mode?
            i.e. if the GPS were connected to port b in Garmin mode, NMEA sentences come out on port a.

            The only sentence really needed would be $GPRMC.

            Mike Fenske
            VE7MKF

            Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
            > At 07:30 PM 7/2/2007, 'Scott Miller' wrote:
            >> I was just looking at that today, actually. Maybe a PASSTHRU command?
            >
            > Sounds good. Though it would require an update to OTWinCfg to make
            > the new feature complete. <grin>
            >
            > Speaking of which, do you plan to provide access to the NICE command
            > from OTWinCfg?
            >
            >> Do you want it to blindly pass everything that comes in, or use
            >> that port switching scheme?
          • Chris Kantarjiev
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 5, 2007
              I've been asking Scott for this for a while now; I'm glad someone else
              is asking, too :-)

              I think that the nice way to do this is to increase the number
              of beacon text/path/timing possibilities to at least match what
              the KPC3+ can do. This is how those objects are being displayed
              in other digis.

              PASSTHRU for weather/status data on the KISS channel would
              be *awesome*. That would make pushing that data out via the
              attached IGATE very simple (in my setup).

              73 de chris K6DBG
            • Jason Winningham
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
                On Jul 3, 2007, at 4:21 AM, Jon wrote:

                > Anyone on this list going to Huntsville for either the
                > GAREC conference or the hamfest?

                I'll be at the hamfest, not sure about others. Since I live here,
                it's not a lot of trouble for me to get to this one.

                Scott, will you have a table at the hamfest / expo? I have no idea
                if the ARRL is as big a deal as, say, Dayton.

                One of these days I may even join ARRL...

                -Jason
                kg4wsv
              • 'Scott Miller'
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
                  I *might* go to the SW division convention.  At least that one's pretty close to home.  But it's 1/2 the price of Dayton for about 1/8 the traffic, so I'm not sure about it being a particularly profitable venue.  I'll be at DCC in Hartford, but other than that I have no definite plans until Dayton next year.

                  I'll be in Cincinnati next week - hopefully my last trip there for the summer, but who knows.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 7, 2007
                    I thought of that, and I think it might still be on my feature list somewhere.  I don't think it'd be *too* difficult, since it's already doing a bunch of math to get stuff into APRS format, which has always been tied closely to NMEA.  Man, I wish this thing had another 128k of flash.  =]

                    Scott