RE: [tracker2] Hooking up to LaCrosse Weather Station

  • 'Scott Miller'
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
      And electrically it's not going to work either.  I've been trying to avoid having to maintain a separate firmware load for the T2-135, so that means either leaving in some features that don't make sense (like that one) or adding logic to check the hardware configuration, which adds extra code.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 6, 2007
        Scott,

        as the feature is still supported on the board, can I just cut P10 and
        P11 on CN2 of the T2-135 board, then run a cable sneaking out of the
        radio (I'm still figuring out if there is a hole to pass the cable thru)
        then solder a DB9, and would be able to use my weather station on the
        Serial B ?

        Thanks, Paulus

        'Scott Miller' wrote:
        > And electrically it's not going to work either. I've been trying to
        > avoid having to maintain a separate firmware load for the T2-135, so
        > that means either leaving in some features that don't make sense (like
        > that one) or adding logic to check the hardware configuration, which
        > adds extra code.

      • 'Scott Miller'
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 6, 2007
          Sure, you should be able to.  You might be able to jumper it to an unused pin on the DB9, too.

          'Scott Miller' wrote:
          > And electrically it's not going to work either. I've been trying to
          > avoid having to maintain a separate firmware load for the T2-135, so
          > that means either leaving in some features that don't make sense (like
          > that one) or adding logic to check the hardware configuration, which
          > adds extra code.

        • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 7, 2007
            Scott,

            While going over the T2-135 schematic diagram one more time, paying
            attention lines from 2211 chip to the CN2 connector, I felt that the
            designations for P10 and P11 should be the opposite.
            Is my observation correct?

            thanks, Paulus

          • 'Scott Miller'
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 7, 2007
              No, the schematic's right.  The names of the pins on CN1 and CN2 are established by the DR-135T service manual.  TXD and RXD are relative to the TNC, not the radio.

              'Scott Miller' wrote:
              > Sure, you should be able to. You might be able to jumper it to an
              > unused pin on the DB9, too.

            • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 14, 2007
                Allright, here is my notes on the modification to use Serial Port B for
                WS2300 mode.

                The modification that I did is to enable WS2300 mode while keeping GPS
                input on the front panel jack still functioning.

                The procedure:
                1. Cut the TXD line (P10 on CN2 on the T2-135 board) . This line must be
                cut as otherwise will be pulled up to 5 volt (for GPS power on the front
                jack) when data mode is enabled. The procedure is by lifting the
                corresponding pin from CN107 on the DR135 board, then thru a short
                patch cable, solder it to P4 on CN1 on the T2-135 board.
                Note: instead of lifting the pin, you can just cut the P10 wire, but
                this way you can revert back if needed to.

                2. Tap the RXD line (do not cut, otherwise front panel GPS jack will be
                disabled). The procedure is to solder a short cable at P11 on CN2 to P8
                on CN1, both on T2-135 board.

                3. Then build a tentacle cable to tap the data from the backside DB9F,
                where pin 1 is TXD (data to Weather Station), and pin 9 is RXD (data
                from Weather Station) of Serial B. The other pins of Serial A is unchanged.
                On the tentacle cable, I use DB9M for Serial B, so I can directly plug
                in the Weather Station (thus no need for a null modem gender changer),
                and DB9F for Serial A (same as the radio's original port).

                Another benefit of this mod is GPS waypoint out is now available on Port
                B (but must use the DB9 connector on the tentacle, not thru the front
                panel GPS jack, like on a D700 radio).

                I'll have the pictures uploaded to the photo section.

                73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                > 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                > > Sure, you should be able to. You might be able to jumper it to an
                > > unused pin on the DB9, too.

                > > *From:* tracker2@yahoogroups.com

              • Clay Jackson
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 16, 2007
                  OK - so, which of the two ports (front 3 wire, back DB9) in an
                  UNmodified unit is A, and which is B?

                  Right now, I'm running the T2-135 with ONLY a GPS connected to the
                  front panel; but I occasionally connect Xastir to the DB9. I would
                  also like to see about connecting a HamHud to the DB9, if I can get
                  'anti-tracker' information out of the T2-135.

                  I'm MUCH more of a SOFTWARE than hardware guy; so any help here would
                  be appreciated.

                  Thanks in advance!

                  Clay Jackson
                  N7QNM

                  On Jul 14, 2007, at 5:21 AM, P. Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:

                  > Allright, here is my notes on the modification to use Serial Port B
                  > for
                  > WS2300 mode.
                  >
                  > The modification that I did is to enable WS2300 mode while keeping GPS
                  > input on the front panel jack still functioning.
                  >
                  > The procedure:
                  > 1. Cut the TXD line (P10 on CN2 on the T2-135 board) . This line
                  > must be
                  > cut as otherwise will be pulled up to 5 volt (for GPS power on the
                  > front
                  > jack) when data mode is enabled. The procedure is by lifting the
                  > corresponding pin from CN107 on the DR135 board, then thru a short
                  > patch cable, solder it to P4 on CN1 on the T2-135 board.
                  > Note: instead of lifting the pin, you can just cut the P10 wire, but
                  > this way you can revert back if needed to.
                  >
                  > 2. Tap the RXD line (do not cut, otherwise front panel GPS jack
                  > will be
                  > disabled). The procedure is to solder a short cable at P11 on CN2
                  > to P8
                  > on CN1, both on T2-135 board.
                  >
                  > 3. Then build a tentacle cable to tap the data from the backside DB9F,
                  > where pin 1 is TXD (data to Weather Station), and pin 9 is RXD (data
                  > from Weather Station) of Serial B. The other pins of Serial A is
                  > unchanged.
                  > On the tentacle cable, I use DB9M for Serial B, so I can directly plug
                  > in the Weather Station (thus no need for a null modem gender changer),
                  > and DB9F for Serial A (same as the radio's original port).
                  >
                  > Another benefit of this mod is GPS waypoint out is now available on
                  > Port
                  > B (but must use the DB9 connector on the tentacle, not thru the front
                  > panel GPS jack, like on a D700 radio).
                  >
                  > I'll have the pictures uploaded to the photo section.
                  >
                  > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX
                  >

                  >> 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                  >>> Sure, you should be able to. You might be able to jumper it to an
                  >>> unused pin on the DB9, too.
                  >>>
                  >>> Scott

                  >>> *From:* tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                  >> <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>

                • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 17, 2007
                    Front GPS jack (3 wire) is Serial Port B
                    The DB9 in the back is Serial Port A

                    My modification is to feed Port B (bi-directional) to
                    the DB9 in the back, while leaving the front GPS jack
                    still functioning (in the original uni-directional
                    mode, data in only).
                    To use a HamHud while Xastir is plugged in on Port A,
                    is you need to plug to the modified Port B (to have
                    data out coming to HamHud). Now, you can have the GPS
                    plugged in on the front jack while HamHud plugged in
                    on Port B in the back if the TXD line of the HamHud is
                    disconnected. Haven't tried this combination though.

                    Paulus
                    N5SNN / YD0NXX

                    === message truncated ===

                    Need a vacation? Get great deals
                    to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                    http://travel.yahoo.com/
                  • Clay Jackson
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 19, 2007
                      Thanks!

                      I wonder if just having 'monitor' on for Port B would be enough to
                      feed Xastir or the HamHud. Which brings up another question for Scott -

                      The earlier versions of the firmware had an issue keeping up with
                      traffic in command mode and so I've been using XASTIR in KISS mode;
                      has that been changed at all?

                      Thanks!

                      Clay
                      N7QNM

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 20, 2007
                        Did they? There was a problem with a memory leak in the packet buffer,
                        but that seems to have been resolved. If you're dealing with a lot of
                        traffic, a higher console baud rate is good, but even at 4800 baud it
                        should still keep up with anything it can receive at 1200.

                        Scott