Re: [tracker2] Feature Request

  • Bob Burns W9RXR
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2007
      While we are talking about potential new features...

      Scott, you and I talked at Dayton about a possible firmware change so
      that the T2-135 will pass GPS position data that comes in on the
      front-panel data jack to the rear-panel DB9. Any progress on that?

      Bob...
    • 'Scott Miller'
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2, 2007
        I was just looking at that today, actually.  Maybe a PASSTHRU command?  Do you want it to blindly pass everything that comes in, or use that port switching scheme?

        Passing data through is easy.  The only hard part is making sure it doesn't interfere with other (console, waypoint, monitor) output.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 2, 2007
          Looks like there's a decent amount of space left in that part of memory.  There are some constraints on it because it can only be erased a page at a time.  I don't like just extending the static configuration, though - it's not a terribly efficient way to use the space.

          For stuff like this where it's a variable number of items, with variable length, it'd make more sense to add some sort of tagged list of data items.  I'd been saving that memory space for scripting code, but maybe it could do both.  The down side is that a list has to be searched through every time you want to find something, but in the case of items like this it'd probably be ok.

          It's something to consider, anyway.  I'll see what I can come up with.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 3, 2007
            --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

            > Looks like there's a decent amount of space left in
            > that part of memory.
            > There are some constraints on it because it can only
            > be erased a page at a
            > time. I don't like just extending the static
            > configuration, though - it's
            > not a terribly efficient way to use the space.
            >
            > For stuff like this where it's a variable number of
            > items, with variable
            > length, it'd make more sense to add some sort of
            > tagged list of data items.
            > I'd been saving that memory space for scripting
            > code, but maybe it could do
            > both. The down side is that a list has to be
            > searched through every time
            > you want to find something, but in the case of items
            > like this it'd probably
            > be ok.
            >
            > It's something to consider, anyway. I'll see what I
            > can come up with.

            Hi,

            I'm not sure about the 'big picture', but in general,
            the most one could have would be one to about 5
            objects/repeaters that could be co-located on a single
            site.

            Anyone on this list going to Huntsville for either the
            GAREC conference or the hamfest? I'd be interested in
            meeting up for an eyeball, and buy eveyone who's
            helped me out a beer (real.. not virtual!).

            Regards
            de John
            EI7IG

            now.
            http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/
          • Bob Burns W9RXR
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
              At 07:30 PM 7/2/2007, 'Scott Miller' wrote:
              >I was just looking at that today, actually. Maybe a PASSTHRU command?

              Sounds good. Though it would require an update to OTWinCfg to make
              the new feature complete. <grin>

              Speaking of which, do you plan to provide access to the NICE command
              from OTWinCfg?

              > Do you want it to blindly pass everything that comes in, or use
              > that port switching scheme?

              I think I'd like for everything from the GPS to pass through, though
              I can see that that might bog down the processor in the T2. What I'd
              like to be able to do is connect the GPS to the data port on the
              radio and then connect the computer to the DB-9 so that a mapping
              program on the computer can access the GPS data.

              Now, we could this a step further. The APRSPoint program has many
              limitations as an APRS client, but it does have one feature I really
              like. With a Kenwood TM-D700, I can connect a GPS to the GPS port on
              the radio and connect a computer to the DB-9 port. I can then fire up
              APRSPoint and tell it that it's connected to a D700 in TNC mode (not
              APRS mode) and that it's getting GPS data from the radio/TNC.
              APRSPoint then continuously updates my position on the map based on
              data from the GPS, continuously displays APRS posits, status, and
              weather from beacons that the radio/TNC are decoding, and beacons my
              position and/or status at a fixed rate. Obviously, I'd like for the
              T2 to handle beaconing my position because it has the smarts to do
              so. But I can easily tell APRSPoint to not beacon at all.

              I guess what now realize I'm saying is that APRSPoint connected to a
              T2 in CONVERSE mode may do what I want already. Sounds like I need to
              give that a try. Except for one catch...When I first got my T2, I
              thought it was passing GPS data through to the DB-9 while in CONVERSE
              mode. It's not doing that now. Is there some command I executed that
              I've now forgotten or did a firmware upgrade kill that data?

              Bob...
            • Mike Fenske
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 4, 2007
                Not sure how much extra work it would be (or code space), but would it be possible to have the Tracker2 generate NMEA sentences if the GPS were in Garmin mode?
                i.e. if the GPS were connected to port b in Garmin mode, NMEA sentences come out on port a.

                The only sentence really needed would be $GPRMC.

                Mike Fenske
                VE7MKF

                Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
                > At 07:30 PM 7/2/2007, 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                >> I was just looking at that today, actually. Maybe a PASSTHRU command?
                >
                > Sounds good. Though it would require an update to OTWinCfg to make
                > the new feature complete. <grin>
                >
                > Speaking of which, do you plan to provide access to the NICE command
                > from OTWinCfg?
                >
                >> Do you want it to blindly pass everything that comes in, or use
                >> that port switching scheme?
              • Chris Kantarjiev
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 5, 2007
                  I've been asking Scott for this for a while now; I'm glad someone else
                  is asking, too :-)

                  I think that the nice way to do this is to increase the number
                  of beacon text/path/timing possibilities to at least match what
                  the KPC3+ can do. This is how those objects are being displayed
                  in other digis.

                  PASSTHRU for weather/status data on the KISS channel would
                  be *awesome*. That would make pushing that data out via the
                  attached IGATE very simple (in my setup).

                  73 de chris K6DBG
                • Jason Winningham
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
                    On Jul 3, 2007, at 4:21 AM, Jon wrote:

                    > Anyone on this list going to Huntsville for either the
                    > GAREC conference or the hamfest?

                    I'll be at the hamfest, not sure about others. Since I live here,
                    it's not a lot of trouble for me to get to this one.

                    Scott, will you have a table at the hamfest / expo? I have no idea
                    if the ARRL is as big a deal as, say, Dayton.

                    One of these days I may even join ARRL...

                    -Jason
                    kg4wsv
                  • 'Scott Miller'
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 6, 2007
                      I *might* go to the SW division convention.  At least that one's pretty close to home.  But it's 1/2 the price of Dayton for about 1/8 the traffic, so I'm not sure about it being a particularly profitable venue.  I'll be at DCC in Hartford, but other than that I have no definite plans until Dayton next year.

                      I'll be in Cincinnati next week - hopefully my last trip there for the summer, but who knows.

                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 7, 2007
                        I thought of that, and I think it might still be on my feature list somewhere.  I don't think it'd be *too* difficult, since it's already doing a bunch of math to get stuff into APRS format, which has always been tied closely to NMEA.  Man, I wish this thing had another 128k of flash.  =]

                        Scott