Re: [tracker2] Hooking up to LaCrosse Weather Station

  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
      Now the next question, how to get out of this mode?

      I set the Tera Term program to 2400 bps, but couldn't get the prompt back.
      Now, unfortunately I don't have a TNC handy to access the console via RF
      and I don't believe I've set any permission to allow to login via RF.

      thanks, Paulus

      'Scott Miller' wrote:
      > AMODE WS2300

    • 'Scott Miller'
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
        Then you probably need to use the otwincfg program.  I can't recall at the moment if there's an easy way to get out of LaCrosse mode - I know I set it up so that you can get out of Garmin mode by hitting enter several times, but I don't think I made that universal.

        Scott

        'Scott Miller' wrote:
        > AMODE WS2300

      • Mark Miller
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
          I have WIDE2-1 as my PATH. How from the command line do I change
          this so that PATH is empty?

          73,
          Mark N5RFX
        • 'Scott Miller'
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
            "PATH -"

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
              While re-reading the T2-135 manual last night I noticed that BMODE also
              has the option for WS2300, now the question is how's one hook the
              weather station up thru the front panel GPS jack, as there is no DATA
              OUT line, and the weather station expects an init command before it
              spits out the current weather data.

              thanks,
              Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

              'Scott Miller' wrote:
              > AMODE WS2300

            • 'Scott Miller'
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                And electrically it's not going to work either.  I've been trying to avoid having to maintain a separate firmware load for the T2-135, so that means either leaving in some features that don't make sense (like that one) or adding logic to check the hardware configuration, which adds extra code.

                Scott

                'Scott Miller' wrote:
                > AMODE WS2300

              • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 6, 2007
                  Scott,

                  as the feature is still supported on the board, can I just cut P10 and
                  P11 on CN2 of the T2-135 board, then run a cable sneaking out of the
                  radio (I'm still figuring out if there is a hole to pass the cable thru)
                  then solder a DB9, and would be able to use my weather station on the
                  Serial B ?

                  Thanks, Paulus

                  'Scott Miller' wrote:
                  > And electrically it's not going to work either. I've been trying to
                  > avoid having to maintain a separate firmware load for the T2-135, so
                  > that means either leaving in some features that don't make sense (like
                  > that one) or adding logic to check the hardware configuration, which
                  > adds extra code.

                • 'Scott Miller'
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 6, 2007
                    Sure, you should be able to.  You might be able to jumper it to an unused pin on the DB9, too.

                    'Scott Miller' wrote:
                    > And electrically it's not going to work either. I've been trying to
                    > avoid having to maintain a separate firmware load for the T2-135, so
                    > that means either leaving in some features that don't make sense (like
                    > that one) or adding logic to check the hardware configuration, which
                    > adds extra code.

                  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 7, 2007
                      Scott,

                      While going over the T2-135 schematic diagram one more time, paying
                      attention lines from 2211 chip to the CN2 connector, I felt that the
                      designations for P10 and P11 should be the opposite.
                      Is my observation correct?

                      thanks, Paulus

                    • 'Scott Miller'
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 7, 2007
                        No, the schematic's right.  The names of the pins on CN1 and CN2 are established by the DR-135T service manual.  TXD and RXD are relative to the TNC, not the radio.

                        'Scott Miller' wrote:
                        > Sure, you should be able to. You might be able to jumper it to an
                        > unused pin on the DB9, too.

                      • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 14, 2007
                          Allright, here is my notes on the modification to use Serial Port B for
                          WS2300 mode.

                          The modification that I did is to enable WS2300 mode while keeping GPS
                          input on the front panel jack still functioning.

                          The procedure:
                          1. Cut the TXD line (P10 on CN2 on the T2-135 board) . This line must be
                          cut as otherwise will be pulled up to 5 volt (for GPS power on the front
                          jack) when data mode is enabled. The procedure is by lifting the
                          corresponding pin from CN107 on the DR135 board, then thru a short
                          patch cable, solder it to P4 on CN1 on the T2-135 board.
                          Note: instead of lifting the pin, you can just cut the P10 wire, but
                          this way you can revert back if needed to.

                          2. Tap the RXD line (do not cut, otherwise front panel GPS jack will be
                          disabled). The procedure is to solder a short cable at P11 on CN2 to P8
                          on CN1, both on T2-135 board.

                          3. Then build a tentacle cable to tap the data from the backside DB9F,
                          where pin 1 is TXD (data to Weather Station), and pin 9 is RXD (data
                          from Weather Station) of Serial B. The other pins of Serial A is unchanged.
                          On the tentacle cable, I use DB9M for Serial B, so I can directly plug
                          in the Weather Station (thus no need for a null modem gender changer),
                          and DB9F for Serial A (same as the radio's original port).

                          Another benefit of this mod is GPS waypoint out is now available on Port
                          B (but must use the DB9 connector on the tentacle, not thru the front
                          panel GPS jack, like on a D700 radio).

                          I'll have the pictures uploaded to the photo section.

                          73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                          > 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                          > > Sure, you should be able to. You might be able to jumper it to an
                          > > unused pin on the DB9, too.

                          > > *From:* tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                        • Clay Jackson
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 16, 2007
                            OK - so, which of the two ports (front 3 wire, back DB9) in an
                            UNmodified unit is A, and which is B?

                            Right now, I'm running the T2-135 with ONLY a GPS connected to the
                            front panel; but I occasionally connect Xastir to the DB9. I would
                            also like to see about connecting a HamHud to the DB9, if I can get
                            'anti-tracker' information out of the T2-135.

                            I'm MUCH more of a SOFTWARE than hardware guy; so any help here would
                            be appreciated.

                            Thanks in advance!

                            Clay Jackson
                            N7QNM

                            On Jul 14, 2007, at 5:21 AM, P. Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:

                            > Allright, here is my notes on the modification to use Serial Port B
                            > for
                            > WS2300 mode.
                            >
                            > The modification that I did is to enable WS2300 mode while keeping GPS
                            > input on the front panel jack still functioning.
                            >
                            > The procedure:
                            > 1. Cut the TXD line (P10 on CN2 on the T2-135 board) . This line
                            > must be
                            > cut as otherwise will be pulled up to 5 volt (for GPS power on the
                            > front
                            > jack) when data mode is enabled. The procedure is by lifting the
                            > corresponding pin from CN107 on the DR135 board, then thru a short
                            > patch cable, solder it to P4 on CN1 on the T2-135 board.
                            > Note: instead of lifting the pin, you can just cut the P10 wire, but
                            > this way you can revert back if needed to.
                            >
                            > 2. Tap the RXD line (do not cut, otherwise front panel GPS jack
                            > will be
                            > disabled). The procedure is to solder a short cable at P11 on CN2
                            > to P8
                            > on CN1, both on T2-135 board.
                            >
                            > 3. Then build a tentacle cable to tap the data from the backside DB9F,
                            > where pin 1 is TXD (data to Weather Station), and pin 9 is RXD (data
                            > from Weather Station) of Serial B. The other pins of Serial A is
                            > unchanged.
                            > On the tentacle cable, I use DB9M for Serial B, so I can directly plug
                            > in the Weather Station (thus no need for a null modem gender changer),
                            > and DB9F for Serial A (same as the radio's original port).
                            >
                            > Another benefit of this mod is GPS waypoint out is now available on
                            > Port
                            > B (but must use the DB9 connector on the tentacle, not thru the front
                            > panel GPS jack, like on a D700 radio).
                            >
                            > I'll have the pictures uploaded to the photo section.
                            >
                            > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX
                            >

                            >> 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                            >>> Sure, you should be able to. You might be able to jumper it to an
                            >>> unused pin on the DB9, too.
                            >>>
                            >>> Scott

                            >>> *From:* tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                            >> <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>

                          • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 17, 2007
                              Front GPS jack (3 wire) is Serial Port B
                              The DB9 in the back is Serial Port A

                              My modification is to feed Port B (bi-directional) to
                              the DB9 in the back, while leaving the front GPS jack
                              still functioning (in the original uni-directional
                              mode, data in only).
                              To use a HamHud while Xastir is plugged in on Port A,
                              is you need to plug to the modified Port B (to have
                              data out coming to HamHud). Now, you can have the GPS
                              plugged in on the front jack while HamHud plugged in
                              on Port B in the back if the TXD line of the HamHud is
                              disconnected. Haven't tried this combination though.

                              Paulus
                              N5SNN / YD0NXX

                              === message truncated ===

                              Need a vacation? Get great deals
                              to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                              http://travel.yahoo.com/
                            • Clay Jackson
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 19, 2007
                                Thanks!

                                I wonder if just having 'monitor' on for Port B would be enough to
                                feed Xastir or the HamHud. Which brings up another question for Scott -

                                The earlier versions of the firmware had an issue keeping up with
                                traffic in command mode and so I've been using XASTIR in KISS mode;
                                has that been changed at all?

                                Thanks!

                                Clay
                                N7QNM

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 20, 2007
                                  Did they? There was a problem with a memory leak in the packet buffer,
                                  but that seems to have been resolved. If you're dealing with a lot of
                                  traffic, a higher console baud rate is good, but even at 4800 baud it
                                  should still keep up with anything it can receive at 1200.

                                  Scott