Hooking up to LaCrosse Weather Station

  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 27, 2007
      Is the LaCrosse support already in?
      I want to plug a LaCrosse 2317 Weather Station to a T2-135, is it thru
      the DB9 in the back of the DR135, and which pin to which?

      Thanks
      Paulus / N5SNN
    • 'Scott Miller'
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 28, 2007
        I haven't tried using a LaCrosse station with the T2-135, but it *should* work.  You'll need a null modem adapter, though - the same you'd use to connect a GPS receiver.

        Has anyone bought the DR-135 GPS cables from Deluo?  I just got a shipment in (I'm tired of making them myself) but the overmolded strain relief interferes with the mating and they won't stay in.  They say they've sold a bunch and no one's complained yet, which I find strange.  Maybe the Mk III's have a different connector?

        Scott

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 28, 2007
          I gave up on the MKIII data jack and installed a PS2 connector.

          73,
          Mark N5RFX

          >Has anyone bought the DR-135 GPS cables from Deluo? I just got a
          >shipment in (I'm tired of making them myself) but the overmolded
          >strain relief interferes with the mating and they won't stay
          >in. They say they've sold a bunch and no one's complained yet,
          >which I find strange. Maybe the Mk III's have a different connector?
          >
          >Scott
        • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 28, 2007
            --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

            > I haven't tried using a LaCrosse station with the
            > T2-135, but it *should*
            > work. You'll need a null modem adapter, though -
            > the same you'd use to
            > connect a GPS receiver.

            Thanks, I'll try this weekend.
            And what command to execute to enable it?

            thanks, Paulus / N5SNN

            Looking for earth-friendly autos?
            http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
          • 'Scott Miller'
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 28, 2007
              AMODE WS2300

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 29, 2007
                I might miss a step or two, as there is still no weather beacon (still
                the regular beacons)

                This is what I did:
                - plug a straight serial and on Tera Term I typed "AMODE WS2300", then
                the response that I got was weird characters (due to serial speed
                changed to 2400 bps in this mode)
                - build a null-modem (and gender changer), and plug the cable from the
                LaCrosse 2317 to the radio
                - leave it overnight
                - still no weather beacon

                How to debug this problem? Would be nice if there is a button on the
                radio screen to see / verify incoming data (similar to the P.Mon button
                on a Kenwood D700 radio).

                Thanks, Paulus

                'Scott Miller' wrote:
                > AMODE WS2300

              • k0yg
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 29, 2007
                  You also need 5 volts on pin 7 and ground on pin 4 on the weather
                  station side. Otherwise the weather station will not output data
                  packets. As I recall, I got the 5V from the Tracker 2.

                  Good luck!
                  Mark

                  --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "P. Suryono Adisoemarta"
                  <yono_adisoemarta@...> wrote:

                  > I might miss a step or two, as there is still no weather beacon (still
                  > the regular beacons)
                  >
                  > This is what I did:
                  > - plug a straight serial and on Tera Term I typed "AMODE WS2300", then
                  > the response that I got was weird characters (due to serial speed
                  > changed to 2400 bps in this mode)
                  > - build a null-modem (and gender changer), and plug the cable from the
                  > LaCrosse 2317 to the radio
                  > - leave it overnight
                  > - still no weather beacon
                  >
                  > How to debug this problem? Would be nice if there is a button on the
                  > radio screen to see / verify incoming data (similar to the P.Mon button
                  > on a Kenwood D700 radio).
                  >
                  > Thanks, Paulus
                  >

                  > 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                  > > AMODE WS2300

                • 'Scott Miller'
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 29, 2007
                    What pinout did you use?  The WS2300 series is weird... it doesn't use a ground return.  I think you need a full null modem cable that swaps CTS/RTS and DTR/DSR.  If I can find mine (haven't seen it since the move) I'll check the pinout I used.

                    Scott

                    'Scott Miller' wrote:
                    > AMODE WS2300

                  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 30, 2007
                      k0yg wrote:
                      > You also need 5 volts on pin 7 and ground on pin 4 on the weather
                      > station side. Otherwise the weather station will not output data
                      > packets. As I recall, I got the 5V from the Tracker 2.

                      Mark,

                      thanks for the hints
                      I got it working now. I got the 5V from pin 8 on the radio side (1-wire bus)

                      So the complete pin-out (in case someone wants to build one) is:
                      Pin 2 and 3 swapped (data lines)
                      Pin 5 to pin 5 (ground)
                      Pin 8 on the radio side to pin 7 on the weather station side (for 5V )
                      Pin 4 on the weather side to Pin 5 on the weather side

                      Thanks, Paulus / N5SNN
                    • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 30, 2007
                        'Scott Miller' wrote:
                        > What pinout did you use? The WS2300 series is weird... it doesn't use
                        > a ground return. I think you need a full null modem cable that swaps
                        > CTS/RTS and DTR/DSR. If I can find mine (haven't seen it since the
                        > move) I'll check the pinout I used.

                        I made the nullmodem cable myself (pin 2 and 3 swapped, and ground), but
                        Mark gave hints to also hook up pin 7 and 4.
                        Now I got it working with a cable as follows:

                        Pin 2 and 3 swapped (data lines)
                        Pin 5 to pin 5 (ground)
                        Pin 8 on the radio side to pin 7 on the weather station side (for 5V )
                        Pin 4 on the weather side to Pin 5 on the weather side

                        So, I have a working T2-135 with a LaCrosse 2317 (transmitting as
                        YD0NXX-1, a digi in Jakarta, Indonesia),
                        next step is to install the sensors at the appropriate location.

                        Thanks,
                        Paulus (N5SNN / YD0NXX)
                      • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                          Now the next question, how to get out of this mode?

                          I set the Tera Term program to 2400 bps, but couldn't get the prompt back.
                          Now, unfortunately I don't have a TNC handy to access the console via RF
                          and I don't believe I've set any permission to allow to login via RF.

                          thanks, Paulus

                          'Scott Miller' wrote:
                          > AMODE WS2300

                        • 'Scott Miller'
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
                            Then you probably need to use the otwincfg program.  I can't recall at the moment if there's an easy way to get out of LaCrosse mode - I know I set it up so that you can get out of Garmin mode by hitting enter several times, but I don't think I made that universal.

                            Scott

                            'Scott Miller' wrote:
                            > AMODE WS2300

                          • Mark Miller
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                              I have WIDE2-1 as my PATH. How from the command line do I change
                              this so that PATH is empty?

                              73,
                              Mark N5RFX
                            • 'Scott Miller'
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                                "PATH -"

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                                  While re-reading the T2-135 manual last night I noticed that BMODE also
                                  has the option for WS2300, now the question is how's one hook the
                                  weather station up thru the front panel GPS jack, as there is no DATA
                                  OUT line, and the weather station expects an init command before it
                                  spits out the current weather data.

                                  thanks,
                                  Paulus - N5SNN/YD0NXX

                                  'Scott Miller' wrote:
                                  > AMODE WS2300

                                • 'Scott Miller'
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                                    And electrically it's not going to work either.  I've been trying to avoid having to maintain a separate firmware load for the T2-135, so that means either leaving in some features that don't make sense (like that one) or adding logic to check the hardware configuration, which adds extra code.

                                    Scott

                                    'Scott Miller' wrote:
                                    > AMODE WS2300

                                  • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 6, 2007
                                      Scott,

                                      as the feature is still supported on the board, can I just cut P10 and
                                      P11 on CN2 of the T2-135 board, then run a cable sneaking out of the
                                      radio (I'm still figuring out if there is a hole to pass the cable thru)
                                      then solder a DB9, and would be able to use my weather station on the
                                      Serial B ?

                                      Thanks, Paulus

                                      'Scott Miller' wrote:
                                      > And electrically it's not going to work either. I've been trying to
                                      > avoid having to maintain a separate firmware load for the T2-135, so
                                      > that means either leaving in some features that don't make sense (like
                                      > that one) or adding logic to check the hardware configuration, which
                                      > adds extra code.

                                    • 'Scott Miller'
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 6, 2007
                                        Sure, you should be able to.  You might be able to jumper it to an unused pin on the DB9, too.

                                        'Scott Miller' wrote:
                                        > And electrically it's not going to work either. I've been trying to
                                        > avoid having to maintain a separate firmware load for the T2-135, so
                                        > that means either leaving in some features that don't make sense (like
                                        > that one) or adding logic to check the hardware configuration, which
                                        > adds extra code.

                                      • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 7, 2007
                                          Scott,

                                          While going over the T2-135 schematic diagram one more time, paying
                                          attention lines from 2211 chip to the CN2 connector, I felt that the
                                          designations for P10 and P11 should be the opposite.
                                          Is my observation correct?

                                          thanks, Paulus

                                        • 'Scott Miller'
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 7, 2007
                                            No, the schematic's right.  The names of the pins on CN1 and CN2 are established by the DR-135T service manual.  TXD and RXD are relative to the TNC, not the radio.

                                            'Scott Miller' wrote:
                                            > Sure, you should be able to. You might be able to jumper it to an
                                            > unused pin on the DB9, too.

                                          • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 14, 2007
                                              Allright, here is my notes on the modification to use Serial Port B for
                                              WS2300 mode.

                                              The modification that I did is to enable WS2300 mode while keeping GPS
                                              input on the front panel jack still functioning.

                                              The procedure:
                                              1. Cut the TXD line (P10 on CN2 on the T2-135 board) . This line must be
                                              cut as otherwise will be pulled up to 5 volt (for GPS power on the front
                                              jack) when data mode is enabled. The procedure is by lifting the
                                              corresponding pin from CN107 on the DR135 board, then thru a short
                                              patch cable, solder it to P4 on CN1 on the T2-135 board.
                                              Note: instead of lifting the pin, you can just cut the P10 wire, but
                                              this way you can revert back if needed to.

                                              2. Tap the RXD line (do not cut, otherwise front panel GPS jack will be
                                              disabled). The procedure is to solder a short cable at P11 on CN2 to P8
                                              on CN1, both on T2-135 board.

                                              3. Then build a tentacle cable to tap the data from the backside DB9F,
                                              where pin 1 is TXD (data to Weather Station), and pin 9 is RXD (data
                                              from Weather Station) of Serial B. The other pins of Serial A is unchanged.
                                              On the tentacle cable, I use DB9M for Serial B, so I can directly plug
                                              in the Weather Station (thus no need for a null modem gender changer),
                                              and DB9F for Serial A (same as the radio's original port).

                                              Another benefit of this mod is GPS waypoint out is now available on Port
                                              B (but must use the DB9 connector on the tentacle, not thru the front
                                              panel GPS jack, like on a D700 radio).

                                              I'll have the pictures uploaded to the photo section.

                                              73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX

                                              > 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                                              > > Sure, you should be able to. You might be able to jumper it to an
                                              > > unused pin on the DB9, too.

                                              > > *From:* tracker2@yahoogroups.com

                                            • Clay Jackson
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 16, 2007
                                                OK - so, which of the two ports (front 3 wire, back DB9) in an
                                                UNmodified unit is A, and which is B?

                                                Right now, I'm running the T2-135 with ONLY a GPS connected to the
                                                front panel; but I occasionally connect Xastir to the DB9. I would
                                                also like to see about connecting a HamHud to the DB9, if I can get
                                                'anti-tracker' information out of the T2-135.

                                                I'm MUCH more of a SOFTWARE than hardware guy; so any help here would
                                                be appreciated.

                                                Thanks in advance!

                                                Clay Jackson
                                                N7QNM

                                                On Jul 14, 2007, at 5:21 AM, P. Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:

                                                > Allright, here is my notes on the modification to use Serial Port B
                                                > for
                                                > WS2300 mode.
                                                >
                                                > The modification that I did is to enable WS2300 mode while keeping GPS
                                                > input on the front panel jack still functioning.
                                                >
                                                > The procedure:
                                                > 1. Cut the TXD line (P10 on CN2 on the T2-135 board) . This line
                                                > must be
                                                > cut as otherwise will be pulled up to 5 volt (for GPS power on the
                                                > front
                                                > jack) when data mode is enabled. The procedure is by lifting the
                                                > corresponding pin from CN107 on the DR135 board, then thru a short
                                                > patch cable, solder it to P4 on CN1 on the T2-135 board.
                                                > Note: instead of lifting the pin, you can just cut the P10 wire, but
                                                > this way you can revert back if needed to.
                                                >
                                                > 2. Tap the RXD line (do not cut, otherwise front panel GPS jack
                                                > will be
                                                > disabled). The procedure is to solder a short cable at P11 on CN2
                                                > to P8
                                                > on CN1, both on T2-135 board.
                                                >
                                                > 3. Then build a tentacle cable to tap the data from the backside DB9F,
                                                > where pin 1 is TXD (data to Weather Station), and pin 9 is RXD (data
                                                > from Weather Station) of Serial B. The other pins of Serial A is
                                                > unchanged.
                                                > On the tentacle cable, I use DB9M for Serial B, so I can directly plug
                                                > in the Weather Station (thus no need for a null modem gender changer),
                                                > and DB9F for Serial A (same as the radio's original port).
                                                >
                                                > Another benefit of this mod is GPS waypoint out is now available on
                                                > Port
                                                > B (but must use the DB9 connector on the tentacle, not thru the front
                                                > panel GPS jack, like on a D700 radio).
                                                >
                                                > I'll have the pictures uploaded to the photo section.
                                                >
                                                > 73 de Paulus - N5SNN / YD0NXX
                                                >

                                                >> 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                                                >>> Sure, you should be able to. You might be able to jumper it to an
                                                >>> unused pin on the DB9, too.
                                                >>>
                                                >>> Scott

                                                >>> *From:* tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                                                >> <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>

                                              • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 17, 2007
                                                  Front GPS jack (3 wire) is Serial Port B
                                                  The DB9 in the back is Serial Port A

                                                  My modification is to feed Port B (bi-directional) to
                                                  the DB9 in the back, while leaving the front GPS jack
                                                  still functioning (in the original uni-directional
                                                  mode, data in only).
                                                  To use a HamHud while Xastir is plugged in on Port A,
                                                  is you need to plug to the modified Port B (to have
                                                  data out coming to HamHud). Now, you can have the GPS
                                                  plugged in on the front jack while HamHud plugged in
                                                  on Port B in the back if the TXD line of the HamHud is
                                                  disconnected. Haven't tried this combination though.

                                                  Paulus
                                                  N5SNN / YD0NXX

                                                  === message truncated ===

                                                  Need a vacation? Get great deals
                                                  to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                                                  http://travel.yahoo.com/
                                                • Clay Jackson
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 19, 2007
                                                    Thanks!

                                                    I wonder if just having 'monitor' on for Port B would be enough to
                                                    feed Xastir or the HamHud. Which brings up another question for Scott -

                                                    The earlier versions of the firmware had an issue keeping up with
                                                    traffic in command mode and so I've been using XASTIR in KISS mode;
                                                    has that been changed at all?

                                                    Thanks!

                                                    Clay
                                                    N7QNM

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 20, 2007
                                                      Did they? There was a problem with a memory leak in the packet buffer,
                                                      but that seems to have been resolved. If you're dealing with a lot of
                                                      traffic, a higher console baud rate is good, but even at 4800 baud it
                                                      should still keep up with anything it can receive at 1200.

                                                      Scott