Re: [tracker2] Serial port issues

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2007
      Kenny K4NNW wrote...

      > ...the computer's com port wasn't working.... had to do a re-install
      > of Windows (XP Pro). After the re-install, my serial port didn't work
      > at all. I also ran a test in HyperTerminal and concluded that
      > it just wasn't working. Some have suggested enabling the port in BIOS...

      Start by looking at the device manager... right-click on my computer, select
      properties, click on hardware tab and then on device manager, or start -
      control panel - system and then the hardware tab. Either way, click on the
      device manager button. Look for PORTS (COM & LPT) and double-click on
      it, or click on the + sign. Presuming you are using com port 1, double click
      on com port 1. Does it show that "this device is working properly"?

      If COM 1 just doesn't exist, take a look in your BIOS. Reboot the computer
      and watch for a prompt on the screen about how to get into it. F2 is pretty
      common. When in the BIOS, look for instructions on how to move from page to
      page. If you can't find in there how to enable the COM port, you might want
      to indicate which BIOS your computer uses.

      BIOS... according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS Basic
      Input/Output Services. I have always thought it was "system" but Wikipedia
      indicates it should be "services" - hi! It is like a set of instructions
      stored on a chip that tells the rest of your computer how to access the
      devices attached to it so it can do things like find the operating system on
      the hard drive, and what settings to use for a communications port etc. If
      it's disabled in the BIOS, there's nothing you can do in Windows to fix it.
      Do the easy thing first and see if the com port shows up in the device
      manager. If it doesn't, look in the BIOS and see if it is disabled. However,
      I can't see how it would get disabled in the BIOS without your having gone
      in and done that. I would expect that the answer will be found in Windows.
      Maybe after your reinstall, a driver wasn't installed for the com port for
      some reason. Maybe there is a conflict with a mouse or touchpad, but you
      would probably know if that was the case! Maybe the com port is there but it
      isn't com 1 this time around.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH