Serial port issues

  • k4nnw
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2007
      Tonight I wanted to take a look at some parameters on a tracker of mine, so I opened up the
      configuration program, but come to find out, the computer's com port wasn't working.
      When I programmed it originally, the serial port worked, but after that, I had to do a re-install
      of Windows (XP Pro). After the re-install, my serial port didn't work at all. I also ran a test in
      HyperTerminal and concluded that it just wasn't working.
      Some have suggested enabling the port in BIOS, but I haven't a clue where that would be.
      Would anybody happen to know the fix to this problem.
      73, and thanks in advance,
      Kenny
      K4NNW
    • Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2007
        Kenny K4NNW wrote...

        > ...the computer's com port wasn't working.... had to do a re-install
        > of Windows (XP Pro). After the re-install, my serial port didn't work
        > at all. I also ran a test in HyperTerminal and concluded that
        > it just wasn't working. Some have suggested enabling the port in BIOS...

        Start by looking at the device manager... right-click on my computer, select
        properties, click on hardware tab and then on device manager, or start -
        control panel - system and then the hardware tab. Either way, click on the
        device manager button. Look for PORTS (COM & LPT) and double-click on
        it, or click on the + sign. Presuming you are using com port 1, double click
        on com port 1. Does it show that "this device is working properly"?

        If COM 1 just doesn't exist, take a look in your BIOS. Reboot the computer
        and watch for a prompt on the screen about how to get into it. F2 is pretty
        common. When in the BIOS, look for instructions on how to move from page to
        page. If you can't find in there how to enable the COM port, you might want
        to indicate which BIOS your computer uses.

        BIOS... according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS Basic
        Input/Output Services. I have always thought it was "system" but Wikipedia
        indicates it should be "services" - hi! It is like a set of instructions
        stored on a chip that tells the rest of your computer how to access the
        devices attached to it so it can do things like find the operating system on
        the hard drive, and what settings to use for a communications port etc. If
        it's disabled in the BIOS, there's nothing you can do in Windows to fix it.
        Do the easy thing first and see if the com port shows up in the device
        manager. If it doesn't, look in the BIOS and see if it is disabled. However,
        I can't see how it would get disabled in the BIOS without your having gone
        in and done that. I would expect that the answer will be found in Windows.
        Maybe after your reinstall, a driver wasn't installed for the com port for
        some reason. Maybe there is a conflict with a mouse or touchpad, but you
        would probably know if that was the case! Maybe the com port is there but it
        isn't com 1 this time around.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH