RE: [tracker2] Smartbeaconing settings T2-135

  • 'Scott Miller'
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 15, 2007
      A quick note on the speed settings - as I think I've mentioned before, these are expressed in rather arbitrary units used internally in the tracker (32 centimeters/second, if I recall).  To convert from miles per hour, multiply by 1.397.  To convert from kilometers per hour, multiply by 0.868.

      I was trying to figure out a suitably efficient way to do the conversion in the tracker, but I think it's going to be easier to just list the conversion factors and a short lookup table in the manual.  It's not something that should be changed very often, and I don't want to take up a ton of space with unnecessary code.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 15, 2007
        On 6/15/07, Richard E. Ranson <n9yay@...> wrote:

        > Entering that string worked.

        Hey, my guess was right... do I win a prize?

        > Any input on individual preferences for smart beacon are welcomed also.

        You have been to the wiki page,
        http://info.aprs.net/wikka.php?wakka=SmartBeaconing
        which is my preferred method of telling you about preferences.

        The Wiki settings are a generic set of parameters that should work
        well for most people driving around in a vehicle. Use the information
        on the SmartBeaconing and CornerPegging pages to educate yourself.
        From there, use that knowledge to tailor the settings to match your
        personal preferences, and desired operation.

        > My vehicle sits at work 10 hours at a time and not sure that beaconing every 3
        > minutes is necessary, using smartbcon will that delay those 3 minute intervals
        > with no movement??

        That's exactly it. When you are travelling at or below the low speed
        threshold, you will beacon at the low speed rate. Using the Wiki page
        settings, under 8, you will beacon once every 30 minutes. As your
        speed increases to the high speed threshold, your transmit rate will
        increase until you meet or exceed the high speed rate. At or above 100
        you will be beaconing once every 3 minutes. The CornerPegging settings
        will cause the tracker to beacon when you make significant deviations
        from your current course. The exact amount of deviation depends on the
        speed you are travelling with more deviation from a course required at
        low speeds. All of this is explained on the Wiki pages, with examples.

        Do yourself a favour and spend some time reading the pages to learn
        about SmartBeaconing. Contrary to what one of the major players in the
        APRS world thinks, SmartBeaconing helps reduce the number of packets
        in a network.

        If you have any more questions about SmartBeaconing, I'd be happy to
        answer them. If you see any missing information in the Wiki, let me
        know and I'll add it to the pages.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 15, 2007

          > A quick note on the speed settings - as I think I've mentioned before, these are
          > expressed in rather arbitrary units used internally in the tracker (32
          > centimeters/second, if I recall).

          Oooh, missed that little tid-bit before... I thought I read that it
          used km/h as the native units.

          This brings up 2 questions... (the second is a multipart question though)

          1) Can you confirm the actual velocity?

          2) Why use this as a unit, how is it derived, and would be easy to
          tweak the value to match up to either km/h or mph?

          > To convert from miles per hour, multiply by 1.397.
          > To convert from kilometers per hour, multiply by 0.868.

          Okay, that means if we want the high speed threshold to be 100 km/h
          (60 mph) then we should enter 87 into the Tracker's high speed
          parameter.

          > I was trying to figure out a suitably efficient way to do the conversion in the
          > tracker,
          > It's not something that should be changed very often, and I don't want to take up
          > a ton of space with unnecessary code.

          Can you change 32 to 28 easily? That would make it line up fairly
          closely to km/h. This really depends on the answers to question #2
          above.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 15, 2007
            In light of my new found knowledge...

            So to set the unit up to the recommended settings on the APRS Wiki,
            use the commands

            SMARTBCON 7 87 1800 30 15
            INTERVAL 180

            This will set the OpenTracker low speed to 8 km/h (5 mph) and high
            speed threshold to 100 km/h (62 mph).

          • 'Scott Miller'
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
              I updated the manual and included the conversion factors and added a table.

              As for why they're used, it originally comes from the fact that the OpenTRAC protocol uses centimeters/second for speed, and that's how the OpenTracker stores the speed internally.  The profile switch and SmartBeaconing settings are 8-bit values, so it shifts the speed right by 5 bits (dividing it by 32) to give it a useful range of values.

              It'll probably stay that way for now, since the Garmin binary protocol uses meters/second anyway.  There are actually a lot of these weird units in the configuration parameters, you just don't normally see them because the config program hides the conversions.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007

                > As for why they're used, it originally comes from the fact that the OpenTRAC
                > protocol uses centimeters/second for speed, and that's how the OpenTracker
                > stores the speed internally. The profile switch and SmartBeaconing settings are
                > 8-bit values, so it shifts the speed right by 5 bits (dividing it by 32) to give it a
                > useful range of values.

                I figured as much with the 32 value in there. If it were simply a
                count you could stop early and come close to km/h. With the simple
                math derived from a right shift operation, we'll learn to live with
                it.

                Thanks again Scott...

              • 'Scott Miller'
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 18, 2007
                  There's a lot of that base 2 integer math in there.  The discriminator for the OT1+ is just a bunch of shifts and adds.  The arctangent function uses floating point, but it still cheats with a lookup table and multisegment linear approximation.  Makes me wish I'd paid attention in math class.  Of course, when I wasn't paying attention in math class it was usually because I was sketching out embedded system designs in my notebook...

                  Anyway, it's these issues with unit conversion that have kept me from implementing the profile switch configuration in the command line interface.  Someday soon I'm going to  have to figure out how I want to do that.

                  Scott

                  > As for why they're used, it originally comes from the fact that the OpenTRAC
                  > protocol uses centimeters/ second for speed, and that's how the OpenTracker
                  > stores the speed internally. The profile switch and SmartBeaconing settings are
                  > 8-bit values, so it shifts the speed right by 5 bits (dividing it by 32) to give it a
                  > useful range of values.

                  I figured as much with the 32 value in there. If it were simply a
                  count you could stop early and come close to km/h. With the simple
                  math derived from a right shift operation, we'll learn to live with
                  it.

                  Thanks again Scott...

                • Bob Burns W9RXR
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 23, 2007
                    At 03:11 PM 6/18/2007, 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                    >I updated the manual and included the conversion factors and added a table.

                    Where have you posted this revised manual?

                    Bob...
                  • Keri Morgret
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 23, 2007
                      I don't know where Scott posted it, but a FYI that he's been out of
                      town without his computer for a couple of days. He'll be back later
                      today, but might be a little buried in email. But it was worth it, if
                      I can speak for him -- readers in Silicon Valley will know what I'm
                      talking about when I saw we went over to the Geek Golden Triangle
                      area in Sunnyvale. Halted, Weird Stuff, Action Computers, Fry's, and
                      HRO. And missed a couple of other places only because they had already closed.

                      Have a great field day everyone.

                      Keri

                      At 09:18 AM 6/23/2007, you wrote:
                      >At 03:11 PM 6/18/2007, 'Scott Miller' wrote:
                      > >I updated the manual and included the conversion factors and added a table.
                      >
                      >Where have you posted this revised manual?
                      >
                      >Bob...
                    • Keith VE7GDH
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 23, 2007
                        Bob W9RXR wrote...

                        > Where have you posted this revised manual?

                        Is it the T2-135 manual that you are looking for? Scott referred to a table
                        and conversion factors which seem to appear in this manual.
                        www.n1vg.net/opentracker/t2-135_manual.pdf

                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                      • Bob Burns W9RXR
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 23, 2007
                          At 05:00 PM 6/23/2007, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

                          >Is it the T2-135 manual that you are looking for? Scott referred to
                          >a table and conversion factors which seem to appear in this manual.
                          >www.n1vg.net/opentracker/t2-135_manual.pdf

                          Thanks, Keith. That is a more current manual than the one I had.

                          Bob...