KISS Mode funnies.

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2007
      Afternoon,

      I've spent the morning trying to figure out an issue
      with KISS mode in the tracker2.

      Tracker2 is protoc, firmware updated yesterday, port B
      is in use with a GPS on a Y cable. Port A is
      connected to a Linux box using Kernel AX25.

      The problem.

      If I power off and on the tracker2, kiss mode
      'appears' to stop working. I've spent a few hours at
      this and the only way I seem to be reliably bring it
      back is to kill 'kissattach' log into the OT2 with
      minicom, and then, from command mode, issue the amode
      kiss command.

      I've tried a soft reset over the air, setting the
      amode and baud over the air, but it doesn't seem to
      work. I'd appreciate anyone else's experience.

      Regards
      de John
      EI7IG

      Inbox full of unwanted email? Get leading protection and 1GB storage with All New Yahoo! Mail. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
    • 'Scott Miller'
      Message 2 of 11 , May 30, 2007
        Turn off AUTOBAUD if you haven't already.  If it gets too many errors on the serial port, it'll switch baud rates and might stick there.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2007
          --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

          > Turn off AUTOBAUD if you haven't already. If it
          > gets too many errors on the
          > serial port, it'll switch baud rates and might stick
          > there.
          >
          > Scott
          Hi,

          yeah, we have

          ABUAD is set to 1200
          AMODE is Kiss

          Pull the power on the OT2, count to 10 plug it back
          in.. and it doesn't want to work.

          At least thats what its 'appears' to be doing. We
          have to pack everything away today, but I'll pull it
          all out again tomorrow evening and try it before we
          start fitting to vehicles.

          Regards
          John

          > _____

        • 'Scott Miller'
          Message 4 of 11 , May 31, 2007
            But what's AUTOBAUD set to?  Don't confuse it with ABAUD.

            Scott

            > Turn off AUTOBAUD if you haven't already. If it
            > gets too many errors on the
            > serial port, it'll switch baud rates and might stick
            > there.
            >
            > Scott
            Hi,

            yeah, we have

            ABUAD is set to 1200
            AMODE is Kiss

            Pull the power on the OT2, count to 10 plug it back
            in.. and it doesn't want to work.

            At least thats what its 'appears' to be doing. We
            have to pack everything away today, but I'll pull it
            all out again tomorrow evening and try it before we
            start fitting to vehicles.

            Regards
            John

            > _____

            http://uk.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=44106/ *http://mail. yahoo.net/ uk

          • Jon
            Message 5 of 11 , May 31, 2007
              --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

              > But what's AUTOBAUD set to? Don't confuse it with
              > ABAUD.
              >
              > Scott

              I haven't a notion.
              To be honest, I didn't know there was an autobuad
              option.

              We have everything packed away now ready for
              transport, so when I pull it all out tomorrow evening,
              I will first check the setting, assuming its on, I
              will switch it off.

              That would explain it (says he sheepishly).

              I assume with Autobaud off then the Abaud rate is
              actually fixed and won't change under any
              circuimstances?

              John

              > _____

            • k0yg
              Message 6 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                In the files section of this forum there is a Tracker 2 User Guide.
                In the User Guide it says:

                ABAUD 1200 | 2400 | 4800 | 9600 | 19200 | 38400 | 57600 | 115200
                Set baud rate for the primary serial port. Default is 4800
                baud.

                AUTOBAUD on|off
                Enable automatic baud rate detection. When a baud rate
                mismatch
                is detected, the unit will attempt to automatically select the
                proper baud rate.

                The User Guide has all the commands with options listed.

                Hope this helps

                Mark

                Message 7 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                  Right.  Maybe I should remove that command and just make an AUTO option for ABAUD and BBAUD...

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                    --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

                    > Right. Maybe I should remove that command and just
                    > make an AUTO option for
                    > ABAUD and BBAUD...
                    Well, I wouldn't be hasty... I don't think it existed
                    before.. (I could be wrong) so I never thought to look
                    for it.

                    I assumet that setting abaud to a fixed value would do
                    exactly that... what was the logic behind the autobaud
                    command as well?

                    Or was autobaud the original command and abaud and
                    bbaud were added afterwards?

                    Regards
                    John

                    > Scott
                    >

                    > _____

                    === message truncated ===

                  • 'Scott Miller'
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                      I added the AUTOBAUD command after ABAUD and BBAUD.  Even if AUTOBAUD is on, it'll still default to the specified baud rate, and only change if there are too many errors in too short a time.

                      scott

                      > Right. Maybe I should remove that command and just
                      > make an AUTO option for
                      > ABAUD and BBAUD...
                      Well, I wouldn't be hasty... I don't think it existed
                      before.. (I could be wrong) so I never thought to look
                      for it.

                      I assumet that setting abaud to a fixed value would do
                      exactly that... what was the logic behind the autobaud
                      command as well?

                      Or was autobaud the original command and abaud and
                      bbaud were added afterwards?

                      Regards
                      John

                      > Scott
                      >

                      > _____

                      === message truncated ===

                      your free account today http://uk.rd. yahoo.com/ evt=44106/ *http://uk. docs.yahoo. com/mail/ winter07. html

                    • Jon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 1, 2007
                        --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

                        > I added the AUTOBAUD command after ABAUD and BBAUD.
                        > Even if AUTOBAUD is on,
                        > it'll still default to the specified baud rate, and
                        > only change if there are
                        > too many errors in too short a time.
                        >
                        > scott

                        Hmm,ok,

                        Some more investigations are warranted. I'll see if I
                        can figure it out later on today.

                        Thanks.
                        John

                        > _____

                        === message truncated ===

                      • Jon
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                          To summarise,

                          We had a most excellent weekend in the Galtee
                          Mountains, the weather was awful, but the T2's (5) and
                          T2-135 (1) performed perfectly.

                          Autobaud was switched off and then the trackers
                          behaved themselves.

                          All the PocketTrackers and TH-D7's worked fine and
                          allowed us to track the walks, though we did have a
                          GPS cable or two come loose during the walks.

                          Regards
                          de John
                          EI7IG

                          --- Jon <c0j_1999@...> wrote:

                          > --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I added the AUTOBAUD command after ABAUD and
                          > BBAUD.
                          > > Even if AUTOBAUD is on,
                          > > it'll still default to the specified baud rate,
                          > and
                          > > only change if there are
                          > > too many errors in too short a time.
                          > >
                          > > scott
                          > >
                          > Hmm,ok,
                          >
                          > Some more investigations are warranted. I'll see if
                          > can figure it out later on today.
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          > John
                          >

                          > > _____