Re: [tracker2] connect an OT2 and GPS at the same time?

  • Jason Winningham
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2007
      If you've got a rev C T2, the second serial port is on pins 7 and 8.
      Ground (pin 5) is the only shared pin.

      If it's an earlier rev, you'll have to add some wires to the
      microcontroller pins, then send the signals through an rs232
      transceiver (or transistor network) to invert the signals in order to
      break out the second serial port.

      In any event, you can't share pins 2 & 3 with multiple devices -
      rs232 is a point to point system. If there is more than one driver
      on a line, you will get garbage (but you _probably_ won't damage
      anything). Technically you should have only one receiver, but
      practically multiple receivers are usually OK. Having said that,
      multiple receivers won't help your situation.

      I assume you're trying to connect both the GPS and the TNC to the
      laptop with a single serial connection. I don't know if GPS data
      from port 2 will pass through to port 1 - someone else will have to
      answer that one.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv
    • christinehewett
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2007
        Hi Jason, Thanks for your reply!

        Yes, mine is a rev C, so I think i'm in luck,

        I didn't know about the pin 7 & 8! So do I run the pins 7/8 to the GPS or to the PC?
        At a guess I'd say the GPS, and do I swap them over or run them straight thru?

        Sorry about all the questions now, but do you know what commands to send to the
        OT2 to set up the secondary port?

        Thanks!
        Christine H

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

        > If you've got a rev C T2, the second serial port is on pins 7 and 8.
        > Ground (pin 5) is the only shared pin.
        >
        > If it's an earlier rev, you'll have to add some wires to the
        > microcontroller pins, then send the signals through an rs232
        > transceiver (or transistor network) to invert the signals in order to
        > break out the second serial port.
        >
        > In any event, you can't share pins 2 & 3 with multiple devices -
        > rs232 is a point to point system. If there is more than one driver
        > on a line, you will get garbage (but you _probably_ won't damage
        > anything). Technically you should have only one receiver, but
        > practically multiple receivers are usually OK. Having said that,
        > multiple receivers won't help your situation.
        >
        > I assume you're trying to connect both the GPS and the TNC to the
        > laptop with a single serial connection. I don't know if GPS data
        > from port 2 will pass through to port 1 - someone else will have to
        > answer that one.
        >
        > -Jason
        > kg4wsv

      • Jason Winningham
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2007
          On May 5, 2007, at 4:43 PM, christinehewett wrote:

          > Yes, mine is a rev C, so I think i'm in luck,
          >
          > I didn't know about the pin 7 & 8! So do I run the pins 7/8 to the
          > GPS or to the PC?
          > At a guess I'd say the GPS, and do I swap them over or run them
          > straight thru?

          transmit from the GPS would go to pin 2 or 8 (that's receive for the
          T2 port 1 and 2 respectively).

          I have a rev A board (which doesn't have a connector for port 2), so
          I can't speak from experience here, but I think the GPS should go on
          port 2 (DB9 pins 7 & 8).

          You'd think I'd have this rs232 stuff straight, but even after years
          of dealing with pin 2 vs. pin 3/tx connected to rx and vice versa/tx
          on one pin for DB9M vs. tx on another pin for DB9F/etc etc, my usual
          method is to take a stab at it, and if it doesn't work swap TX and RX
          and try again. (:

          -Jason
          kg4wsv
        • Seamus
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2007
            Hi there!

            I'm actually trying to do the same thing as you, I have the cable made, but I can not get
            the GPS to talk to the OT2, ie the data doesn't seem to be going into the OT2 on pins 7/8.
            Does anyone know how to enable this second serial port? I've been fiddling about with
            the BMODE setting,but no matter what I set that to, I can't get any activity on the LED
            indicating GPS activity.
            If anyone know of any other settings, please enlighten us!!!

            Thanks,
            Seamus

            EI8EPB

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

            > On May 5, 2007, at 4:43 PM, christinehewett wrote:
            > >
            > > Yes, mine is a rev C, so I think i'm in luck,
            > >
            > > I didn't know about the pin 7 & 8! So do I run the pins 7/8 to the
            > > GPS or to the PC?
            > > At a guess I'd say the GPS, and do I swap them over or run them
            > > straight thru?
            >
            > transmit from the GPS would go to pin 2 or 8 (that's receive for the
            > T2 port 1 and 2 respectively).
            >
            > I have a rev A board (which doesn't have a connector for port 2), so
            > I can't speak from experience here, but I think the GPS should go on
            > port 2 (DB9 pins 7 & 8).
            >
            > You'd think I'd have this rs232 stuff straight, but even after years
            > of dealing with pin 2 vs. pin 3/tx connected to rx and vice versa/tx
            > on one pin for DB9M vs. tx on another pin for DB9F/etc etc, my usual
            > method is to take a stab at it, and if it doesn't work swap TX and RX
            > and try again. (:
            >
            > -Jason
            > kg4wsv

          • 'Scott Miller'
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2007
              Pins 7 and 8 are port B, unless you set BMODE to FLOW, and then they're CTS/RTS.  So if you want an NMEA GPS on that port, just set BMODE AUTO.

              Scott