Re: [tracker2] Availability of kits/different connectors?

  • Mike Fenske
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2007
      I did mount a mini-din connector in my Tracker2, but for the GPS on the second serial port. Have a look in the photos section for a couple of pictures. Album is "ProtoB with MAX232" or something like that. Basically, I used a PCB mount mini din, bent the pins flat and super-glued it behind the hole between the power connector and the serial port DB-9. The only reason I used a mini-din is because there was space for it and I was able to cut off an old keyboard cable to connect to the GPS.

      I suppose you could wire it to the radio port instead, but as Jason said, the DB-9 is more standard. Try http://www.rpc-electronics.com/trackercables.php for cables.

      Mike Fenske
      VE7MKF

      petesguide wrote:
      > Also, I'm really looking for a TNC that uses the standard packet
      > (6-pin Mini-DIN) connector, to make connecting to radios that use this
      > as simple as pie. Have you considered using this connector instead of
      > a DE-9, or could it be retrofitted while I'm building the kit?
    • 'Scott Miller'
      Message 2 of 6 , May 8, 2007
        I'd originally planned on a mini-DIN, but the DB9 won out in the end.  Actually, the original design had so many connectors on it there wasn't room on the front and rear panels for anything else!

        The annoying thing is that very few radios - at least in the US - come with a mini-DIN connector, and I'm not sure it was that well thought out to begin with.

        The rear panel on the T2 case is a separate piece (heh... I hated that book) so it could be replaced with one having a spot for a mini-DIN connector.  It'd need a new board, but that's cheaper than the enclosure tooling.  I'm alreadying thinking of doing one with a terminal block back there for telemetry and control applications.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 6 , May 13, 2007
          Almost all of the mobile radios I've bought have data jacks on them
          have 6-pin Mini-DIN connectors:
          *Kenwood D-700
          *ICOM IC-208H
          *Yaesu FT-817

          And a bunch I've been looking at, and a bunch of new ones, also use them:
          *Yaesu's FT-7800, FT-8800, FT-8900, FT-857, FT-897
          *ICOM's new IC-2820, IC-7000, IC-706, IC-2720, ID-800, and IC-910 (it
          has two)
          *Kenwood's TM-V708, new TM-V71A,

          Only the cheapest single-band mobile radios seem to lack them.

          A terminal block would be cool! If you do respin the board for that,
          can you also consider using the EIAJ-4 power socket? This is the
          Japanese standard for 12V coaxial power, and is the only one I've ever
          found that has a an actual specification behind it that specifies
          polarity and voltage. This is the same power connector that West
          Mountain Radio uses on their RigBlasters. Either that, or perhaps
          PowerPole connectors? They now have PCBoard mount versions.

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "'Scott Miller'" <scott@...> wrote:
          > The annoying thing is that very few radios - at least in the US -
          come with
          > a mini-DIN connector, and I'm not sure it was that well thought out
          to begin
          > with.
          >
          > The rear panel on the T2 case is a separate piece (heh... I hated
          that book)
          > so it could be replaced with one having a spot for a mini-DIN connector.
          > It'd need a new board, but that's cheaper than the enclosure
          tooling. I'm
          > alreadying thinking of doing one with a terminal block back there for
          > telemetry and control applications.
          >
          > Scott
        • 'Scott Miller'
          Message 4 of 6 , May 13, 2007
            The 2.1x5.4mm coaxial jack seems to be the most common on US consumer equipment.  I like powerpoles, but not the PCB mount ones - they really don't seem to be a great connector for panel mount applications, and the PCB leads are subject to a lot of mechanical stress.  That's why I included pads on the T2 and OT1m - you can just put the powerpoles on a pigtail.

            Scott