connect an OT2 and GPS at the same time?

  • christinehewett
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2007
      hello, I need to connect an OT2 and a gps to my laptop
      (simultaneously)
      but i'm unsure how to configure the ot2 to do this and also how
      to make up the appropriate cable, I've read alot of posts that
      came close to answering my questions, but none hit it exactly on the
      head.

      I already made a cable but it's not working for me, now I'm by no
      means
      an electronics guru, so I'm not surprised it's not working really,
      what I have made is a 5 wire null cable as described in the files
      section, but with another cable paralleled off it at the OT2 end
      carrying power for the GPS. I hope I'm being clear, ie, the leg of
      the cable between the OT2 and the Laptop is a 5wire null, and the
      cable sharing the DB9 going into the OT2 is straight thru to the GPS
      ( plus pin 4 for pwr)

      I wonder could someone out there tell me where I'm gone wrong with
      this, what pin should be connected to what??

      And also, what do I need to setup in the OT2 so this setup will work
      for me......

      Thanks! Christine.
    • Jason Winningham
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2007
        If you've got a rev C T2, the second serial port is on pins 7 and 8.
        Ground (pin 5) is the only shared pin.

        If it's an earlier rev, you'll have to add some wires to the
        microcontroller pins, then send the signals through an rs232
        transceiver (or transistor network) to invert the signals in order to
        break out the second serial port.

        In any event, you can't share pins 2 & 3 with multiple devices -
        rs232 is a point to point system. If there is more than one driver
        on a line, you will get garbage (but you _probably_ won't damage
        anything). Technically you should have only one receiver, but
        practically multiple receivers are usually OK. Having said that,
        multiple receivers won't help your situation.

        I assume you're trying to connect both the GPS and the TNC to the
        laptop with a single serial connection. I don't know if GPS data
        from port 2 will pass through to port 1 - someone else will have to
        answer that one.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • christinehewett
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2007
          Hi Jason, Thanks for your reply!

          Yes, mine is a rev C, so I think i'm in luck,

          I didn't know about the pin 7 & 8! So do I run the pins 7/8 to the GPS or to the PC?
          At a guess I'd say the GPS, and do I swap them over or run them straight thru?

          Sorry about all the questions now, but do you know what commands to send to the
          OT2 to set up the secondary port?

          Thanks!
          Christine H

          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

          > If you've got a rev C T2, the second serial port is on pins 7 and 8.
          > Ground (pin 5) is the only shared pin.
          >
          > If it's an earlier rev, you'll have to add some wires to the
          > microcontroller pins, then send the signals through an rs232
          > transceiver (or transistor network) to invert the signals in order to
          > break out the second serial port.
          >
          > In any event, you can't share pins 2 & 3 with multiple devices -
          > rs232 is a point to point system. If there is more than one driver
          > on a line, you will get garbage (but you _probably_ won't damage
          > anything). Technically you should have only one receiver, but
          > practically multiple receivers are usually OK. Having said that,
          > multiple receivers won't help your situation.
          >
          > I assume you're trying to connect both the GPS and the TNC to the
          > laptop with a single serial connection. I don't know if GPS data
          > from port 2 will pass through to port 1 - someone else will have to
          > answer that one.
          >
          > -Jason
          > kg4wsv

        • Jason Winningham
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2007
            On May 5, 2007, at 4:43 PM, christinehewett wrote:

            > Yes, mine is a rev C, so I think i'm in luck,
            >
            > I didn't know about the pin 7 & 8! So do I run the pins 7/8 to the
            > GPS or to the PC?
            > At a guess I'd say the GPS, and do I swap them over or run them
            > straight thru?

            transmit from the GPS would go to pin 2 or 8 (that's receive for the
            T2 port 1 and 2 respectively).

            I have a rev A board (which doesn't have a connector for port 2), so
            I can't speak from experience here, but I think the GPS should go on
            port 2 (DB9 pins 7 & 8).

            You'd think I'd have this rs232 stuff straight, but even after years
            of dealing with pin 2 vs. pin 3/tx connected to rx and vice versa/tx
            on one pin for DB9M vs. tx on another pin for DB9F/etc etc, my usual
            method is to take a stab at it, and if it doesn't work swap TX and RX
            and try again. (:

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • Seamus
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2007
              Hi there!

              I'm actually trying to do the same thing as you, I have the cable made, but I can not get
              the GPS to talk to the OT2, ie the data doesn't seem to be going into the OT2 on pins 7/8.
              Does anyone know how to enable this second serial port? I've been fiddling about with
              the BMODE setting,but no matter what I set that to, I can't get any activity on the LED
              indicating GPS activity.
              If anyone know of any other settings, please enlighten us!!!

              Thanks,
              Seamus

              EI8EPB

              --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason Winningham <jdw@...> wrote:

              > On May 5, 2007, at 4:43 PM, christinehewett wrote:
              > >
              > > Yes, mine is a rev C, so I think i'm in luck,
              > >
              > > I didn't know about the pin 7 & 8! So do I run the pins 7/8 to the
              > > GPS or to the PC?
              > > At a guess I'd say the GPS, and do I swap them over or run them
              > > straight thru?
              >
              > transmit from the GPS would go to pin 2 or 8 (that's receive for the
              > T2 port 1 and 2 respectively).
              >
              > I have a rev A board (which doesn't have a connector for port 2), so
              > I can't speak from experience here, but I think the GPS should go on
              > port 2 (DB9 pins 7 & 8).
              >
              > You'd think I'd have this rs232 stuff straight, but even after years
              > of dealing with pin 2 vs. pin 3/tx connected to rx and vice versa/tx
              > on one pin for DB9M vs. tx on another pin for DB9F/etc etc, my usual
              > method is to take a stab at it, and if it doesn't work swap TX and RX
              > and try again. (:
              >
              > -Jason
              > kg4wsv

            • 'Scott Miller'
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2007
                Pins 7 and 8 are port B, unless you set BMODE to FLOW, and then they're CTS/RTS.  So if you want an NMEA GPS on that port, just set BMODE AUTO.

                Scott