T2-135 lessons being learned

  • Bruce W. Martin
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2007
      So, I got my T2-135 and installed it. Easy.
      After a few hours of trying different serial cables and different
      computers realized I needed to put the DR-135 in data mode to talk to
      the T2.

      Great! I can make changes with my Mac using Zterm or use the latest OT
      configuration program on Windows. I need to find something other than
      minicom for Linux.

      Hooked up the GPS and an antenna and it tracked great.

      Wanted to see how long the tracker would last on low power with a 3 year
      old UPS 7AH battery. Not as long as I hoped. Set it up in the truck as I
      went to work. Left it running with smart beaconing at about 90 minutes
      while moving slow. After work I found the radio power cycling. While
      under load the battery would drop below some voltage threshold and the
      radio would turn off. Immediately the voltage would go up some now that
      there was no load and the radio would turn on. This cycle went on for
      who knows how long. Probably a few hours.

      Now I can't communicate with the T2-135. Have I killed it? Is there a
      way I can get it back to default condition?

      Bruce, KQ4TV
    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2007
        If you open it up, you should see the LEDs blink at power-up.  They may be blinking constantly if the firmware is corrupted.  As long as it's still blinking, the config program should be able to catch the bootloader and let you reload the firmware.  You could probably do it without the config program, too, but you'd probably need to come up with a way to send the right byte sequence to start the XMODEM download mode.

        If it's not blinking at all, then it's possible the firmware got wiped out completely.  As far as I can remember, I've only had that happen with overvoltage conditions, like 9 volts on the IRQ pin.  If it is totally blank, then you'll need to send it back for reprogramming.

        I'll see if I can duplicate the problem myself.  I might need to set up the low-voltage inhibit on the processor.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2007
          When I start it up I get both the red and green LEDs alternately flashing. If I start the config program and restart the radio/T2 the Green LED is constant on and the program says:
          "Unsupported firmware version. Please upgrade configuration program.
          (ver 255 build 65535 target  AP64-H)"

          I ran the downloaded the OT2.s19 firmware and ran the config program again replacing the firmware and it came right up.

          Mostly just reporting this so others can benefit from what I learned.

          thanks for your assistance.
          See you in Dayton.

          Bruce, KQ4TV

          Message 4 of 11 , May 16, 2007
            Update.

            I finally got around and put the radio back in the truck to test it out.

            NoGo

            It powers up and I know the GPS is working and getting lock but the
            tracker never transmits. It seems to be receiving.

            Also, I notice that when the GPS is connected to the front GPS port
            that there is a rhythmic noise coming from the speaker. If I disable
            data or unplug the GPS it goes away. A different GPS plugged into the
            DB9 on the back does not produce the noise.

            I am heading for Dayton tomorrow morning and will bring it along.

            Bruce

          • 'Scott Miller'
            Message 5 of 11 , May 16, 2007
              The noise is apparently a design flaw in the DR-135 - it gets crosstalk from the data input to the speaker, regardless of the volume setting.  You can stop it by installing a 3.5mm plug in the speaker jack to disable the internal speaker entirely.

              Scott

              I finally got around and put the radio back in the truck to test it out.

              NoGo

              It powers up and I know the GPS is working and getting lock but the
              tracker never transmits. It seems to be receiving.

              Also, I notice that when the GPS is connected to the front GPS port
              that there is a rhythmic noise coming from the speaker. If I disable
              data or unplug the GPS it goes away. A different GPS plugged into the
              DB9 on the back does not produce the noise.

              I am heading for Dayton tomorrow morning and will bring it along.

              Bruce

              On May 2, 2007, at 6:04 PM, Bruce W. Martin wrote:

              > When I start it up I get both the red and green LEDs alternately
              > flashing. If I start the config program and restart the radio/T2
              > the Green LED is constant on and the program says:
              > "Unsupported firmware version. Please upgrade configuration program.
              > (ver 255 build 65535 target AP64-H)"
              >
              > I ran the downloaded the OT2.s19 firmware and ran the config
              > program again replacing the firmware and it came right up.
              >
              > Mostly just reporting this so others can benefit from what I learned.
              >
              > thanks for your assistance.
              > See you in Dayton.
              >
              > Bruce, KQ4TV
              >
              > On May 2, 2007, at 3:11 PM, scott@opentrac. org wrote:
              >
              >> If you open it up, you should see the LEDs blink at power-up.
              >> They may be blinking constantly if the firmware is corrupted. As
              >> long as it's still blinking, the config program should be able to
              >> catch the bootloader and let you reload the firmware. You could
              >> probably do it without the config program, too, but you'd probably
              >> need to come up with a way to send the right byte sequence to
              >> start the XMODEM download mode.
              >>
              >> If it's not blinking at all, then it's possible the firmware got
              >> wiped out completely. As far as I can remember, I've only had
              >> that happen with overvoltage conditions, like 9 volts on the IRQ
              >> pin. If it is totally blank, then you'll need to send it back for
              >> reprogramming.
              >>
              >> I'll see if I can duplicate the problem myself. I might need to
              >> set up the low-voltage inhibit on the processor.
              >>
              >> Scott

            • Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
              Message 6 of 11 , May 24, 2007
                Ok I confirmed that the T2-135 will transmit if you tell it a
                specific location and to transmit with out a good gps lock. but it
                never seems to get a GPS lock. I have used the Deluo GPS direct to
                the laptop using the USB adapter and it seems o get lock just fine.
                It is acting like the T2-135 is never seeing any GPS data. Is there
                documentation for where the test points are to test for continuity
                from the front GPS port to the T2-135?

                Bruce

                --
                Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
                8749 Lebanon Rd.
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Well it would seem that there is something wrong with the "GPS"
                  serial port that is connected to the front of the DR-135.
                  I can hook up a GPS to the console (back) serial port and get the
                  tracker to work.
                  Any suggestions for what to check?
                  Scott, can you post a schematic and/or board layouts to assist
                  troubleshooting this problem?

                  Bruce, KQ4TV

                  --
                  Bruce W. Martin, KQ4TV
                  8749 Lebanon Rd.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2007
                    I just posted the T2-135 schematic to the files section.

                    Thanks to a flaw in the DR-135, you should be able to hear a bit of
                    crosstalk on the speaker when there's GPS data present on the front-panel
                    jack. That's the easiest way to tell if your connection is good.

                    Scott

                  • Roland
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 6, 2007
                      Hello,

                      From the post below, I understand I can connect a GPS to the DB9-port
                      at the backside of the Alinco DR-135. But, what's the pinout of it? I
                      connect the GPS to the mike-connector at the frontside to get 5 Volt
                      of power. But, the TX-data from the GPS must into the DR-135. How can
                      I do this, on wich pin of the DB9 connector must I connect the TXD of
                      the GPS?

                      I hope anybody can help me with this...

                      73's,

                      Roland, PD2RLD, Netherlands.

                      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "'Scott Miller'" <scott@...> wrote:

                      > I just posted the T2-135 schematic to the files section.
                      >
                      > Thanks to a flaw in the DR-135, you should be able to hear a bit of
                      > crosstalk on the speaker when there's GPS data present on the front-
                      panel
                      > jack. That's the easiest way to tell if your connection is good.
                      >
                      > Scott

                    • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 6, 2007
                        Pin 3 is data input to the radio (TXD from GPS)
                        Pin 8 might have 5 volt for your GPS
                        Pin 5 is ground

                        Paulus - N5SNN / YD0XNN

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://tv.yahoo.com/
                      • Roland
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 6, 2007
                          Thank you Paulus for the quick answer, it works.

                          I have only one problem. The power on the jack on the front isn't
                          enough for my GPS. So, I want to use the power from pin8 of the DB9
                          connector, but that's also not enough. In the manual of the Alinco I
                          found the pinout of the mike-connector, and, there is also 5 Volt on
                          it. Pin 8 is ground and pin 5 is +5 Volt. My GPS works on this 5
                          Volt, but...

                          If the Alinco sends a beacon, the modulation is very bad. Something
                          strange tones are hearable on the transmitted audio. I think it is a
                          intermodulation of the GPS.

                          I have now unplugged the power of the GPS and I use a 5 Volt battery.
                          If I connect now the TXD on the DB9 connector, the transmitted audio
                          sounds normal.

                          Does anyone have this problem too, and how can I fix this, or is
                          there no solution for this problem?

                          I hope (again) someone can help me..

                          73's, Roland, PD2RLD.

                          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "P. Suryono Adisoemarta"