Digi only certain users

  • haydn27
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13 2:05 PM

      Hi all,

      I would like my T2 in my car to digipeat only when it hears a certain user.

      I.e User X3XXX sends beacon out and my car picks it up it will Digipeat it but will not digipeat anyone else.

      Basically i am part of a SAR team and sometimes our team got to areas where there are no other digipeters, but most of the time i drive around in an area that is well covered and i dont want to cause problems/congestion on the  network, But in the event of an emergency for the SAR team i do not have time to change the T2's settings.

      Can i use alias's to do this? so my T2 will only Digipeat X3XXX if no one else has done it?

      Any help or sugestions (in user friendly language) on how best to set this up would be great.

      Cheers

      Haydn

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13 7:57 PM
        On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 3:05 PM, haydn@... [tracker2]
        <tracker2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > I would like my T2 in my car to digipeat only when it hears a certain user.

        Can't be done.

        > Basically i am part of a SAR team and sometimes our team got to areas
        > where there are no other digipeters, but most of the time i drive around in
        > an area that is well covered and i dont want to cause problems/congestion
        > on the network, But in the event of an emergency for the SAR team i do
        > not have time to change the T2's settings.
        >
        > Can i use alias's to do this? so my T2 will only Digipeat X3XXX if no one
        > else has done it?

        Nope... no one has made digipeater hardware or software to selectively
        digipeat only specific users. That's totally against the purpose of a
        digipeater. It should support all users.

        However, you can configure your T2 to support a unique alias, such as
        SAR, which is not routinely used by regular users. Set the T2 to
        preemptive digipeat on that callsign. Digipeaters normally only look
        at the next unused hop request, and act upon that alias. Preemptive
        digipeating allows the digipeater to look at all the upcoming hop
        requests and find one that it supports, and act on that request.

        So, where you would normally use a path such as:

        WIDE2-2

        which would give you 2 hops on the local network, what you would do is
        set the SAR trackers to use an outgoing path such as:

        WIDE2-2,SAR,WIDE2-1

        Normally you would get 2 hops via the main digipeaters, and then no
        more hops as the alias SAR isn't supported. However, when you are out
        with your SAR team, and your mobile SAR digipeater is enabled, your
        mobile SAR digipeater with preemptive digipeating will see the SAR hop
        request, and act upon that, even if the WIDE2-2 hasn't been used up.
        Then if another digipeater hears your digipeat of the packet, it will
        go one more hop on the network.

        Preemptive digipeating was designed with SAR in mind. Since SAR teams
        can end up out in the bush, or in the hills where no digipeaters can
        reach, the concept was to make each SAR team a digipeater. Each team
        would do preemptive digipeating on SARn-N, and use an outgoing path of
        WIDE2-1,SAR7-7. If a main digipeater could hear them, they would get
        out to the local network. If however they were in a canyon, or other
        nasty area, any tracker sending a packet would get digipeated by
        anyone that could hear them. Any teams that could hea another team,
        but not the initial would digipeat, etc... With enough local
        digipeats, hopefully the Search HQ could hear and maintain track on
        all assets. If need be, one team (or dedicated individual) could be
        deployed to a local high spot and be tasked as a digipeater.

        The one thing you need to be aware of is that you shouldn't run around
        with your SAR digipeater running all the time, it is possible that the
        WIDE2-2,SAR,WIDE2-1 path could get 1 or 2 hops, be heard by your SAR
        digi, and then go another hop... too much local noise for routine use.

        The easy solution is to make 2 profiles, one for regular every day
        use, and the second for SAR use. Use a switch to flip between the two
        profiles.

        You could even just make your vehicle a WIDEn-N digipeater, and use
        profile switching to turn it on only when required. You would NEED to
        remember to shut it off when coming back into civilization.

        An alternative is to use TEMPn-N as a hop request. All TM-D710s come
        factory set to digipeat on that alias. The downfall is that your SAR
        teams would need to change paths to TEMP1-1,WIDE2-1. Probably not a
        feasible solution. Of course if there are not TM-D710s around, you
        don't get digipeated. But you could program your T2 to support TEMPn-N
        similar to above.

      • Ronny Julian
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13 8:38 PM
          Haydn the Tracker SMT unit is so cheap why not get one for SAR use only?  If you don't have time to reprogram it you can just switch units by a simple cable.
          Ronny
          K4RJJ

          On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM, haydn@... [tracker2] <tracker2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Hi all,

          I would like my T2 in my car to digipeat only when it hears a certain user.

          I.e User X3XXX sends beacon out and my car picks it up it will Digipeat it but will not digipeat anyone else.

          Basically i am part of a SAR team and sometimes our team got to areas where there are no other digipeters, but most of the time i drive around in an area that is well covered and i dont want to cause problems/congestion on the  network, But in the event of an emergency for the SAR team i do not have time to change the T2's settings.

          Can i use alias's to do this? so my T2 will only Digipeat X3XXX if no one else has done it?

          Any help or sugestions (in user friendly language) on how best to set this up would be great.

          Cheers

          Haydn

        • Bob Burns W9BU
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14 2:57 AM
            On 7/13/2014 10:57 PM, James Ewen ve6srv@... [tracker2] wrote:

            > WIDE2-2,SAR,WIDE2-1

            James, could you expand on the purpose of the WIDE2-1 at the right end
            of the path?

            Bob...
          • Mark Cheavens
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14 5:15 AM

              > > I would like my T2 in my car to digipeat only when it hears a certain user.
              >
              >Can't be done.

              I have not dug into the specifics if a T2 can do it or not (see below)

              > > Basically i am part of a SAR team and sometimes our team got to areas
              > > where there are no other digipeters, but most of the time i drive around in
              > > an area that is well covered and i dont want to cause problems/congestion
              > > on the network, But in the event of an emergency for the SAR team i do
              > > not have time to change the T2's settings.
              > >
              > > Can i use alias's to do this? so my T2 will only Digipeat X3XXX if no one
              > > else has done it?
              >
              >Nope... no one has made digipeater hardware or software to selectively
              >digipeat only specific users. That's totally against the purpose of a
              >digipeater. It should support all users.

              That statement is not correct. A TNC-2 or KPC3 can each be configured
              to DROP or to only allow from specific stations.
              BUlist (on/OFF) Treats LCALLS as the only station to monitor (default
              is treat is ignore list)
              LCAlls (1-8 stations to IGNORE or specifically ALLOW)

              TNC-2 Command list:
              http://paccomm.com/cmdrefcrd.html

              KPC-3 Commands are a little different using
              BUDcalls and CONlist

              KPC-3 Command list:
              http://www.kwnet.net/n7qqu~/eq-manuals/KPC-3_reference_manual.pdf

              In UiDigi and other hybrid TNC's not all commands are supported.
              UiDigi you can have a BUDlist to ignore users, but not an allow list.

              Sincerely,
              Mark Cheavens
              KC5EVE
            • Fred Hillhouse Jr
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14 6:31 AM

                Hi Bob,

                Until James chimes back in: I think what happens is if a path of WIDEn-N, SARn-N is used, once the SARn-N is used up then the entire path is marked as used even though the WIDEn-N may not be used up. I haven’t tested that but a usually reliable source has made comment to the effect.

                Best regards,

                Fred N7FMH

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14 8:25 AM
                  On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Bob Burns W9BU w9bu_lists@...
                  [tracker2] <tracker2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  >> WIDE2-2,SAR,WIDE2-1
                  >
                  > James, could you expand on the purpose of the WIDE2-1 at the right end
                  > of the path?

                  The WIDE2-1 at the end will get you one hop on the main digipeaters
                  (if the SAR digipeater can be heard by the main digipeaters.)

                  Preemption will skip non-supported hop requests and move along until
                  it finds one it supports. It then marks all path elements up to that
                  point as used.

                  It will look like this once digipeated by the SAR digi.

                  WIDE2-2*,SAR*,WIDE2-1