Re: [tracker2] OT3M - Telemetry - Digipeater

    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2014
      On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:36 PM, vk4led@... [tracker2]
      <tracker2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > I am hoping to see the Voltage/Temp readings on aprs.fi as I hope to
      > install this digi at a remote site for digipeating as well as keeping an
      > eye on the voltage for the repeater.

      There's no temp sensor on the OT3 if I recall properly... I looked at
      the schematic again. If there was a temp sensor, I'd be using it on my
      digipeaters.

      BTW, it's usually sufficient to send a single copy of the email,
      rather than 3... even if they are all slightly different! :)

    • Fred Hillhouse Jr
      Message 2 of 8 , May 28, 2014

        There is a temp sensor but it is in the uC. The temperature reflects the operating temp of the uC plus ambient. That reading is not available as telemetry.

        A really simple method to add temperature, but again not to telemetry, is to add a 1-wire part, DS18S20.

        The only solution for temperature in telemetry is to add a sensor and connect it to the voltage inputs. The LM335 is a reasonable choice.

        Best regards,

        Fred N7FMH

        > I am hoping to see the Voltage/Temp readings on aprs.fi as I hope to
        > install this digi at a remote site for digipeating as well as keeping an
        > eye on the voltage for the repeater.

        There's no temp sensor on the OT3 if I recall properly... I looked at
        the schematic again. If there was a temp sensor, I'd be using it on my
        digipeaters.

        BTW, it's usually sufficient to send a single copy of the email,
        rather than 3... even if they are all slightly different! :)

      • vk4led
        Message 3 of 8 , May 29, 2014
          Many thanks for the assistance.

          I understand that I will need to connect an Analogue sensors for both graphing of the Voltage and Temperature - so that it shows on the graphs on APRS.fi. I will be working on this project once I have the Digi working 100%

          As for the deviation - I am fairly sure that it is set ok, but I am not 100% sure - have not placed the gear on a mater as yet. I have tried to access the Tuning/Diagnostics on the OT Configuration program. I am not hearing any tones when I click on either and/or both buttons.

          Is there another way to get this feature to work? I have double checked my cable personally and also checked it against another person (who is also using the same radio/TNC combination)

          I have a terminal program open that is running my I-Gate - and I am seeing packets that are being "bounced" OK from this new Digi - however there is the odd packet that is getting "garbled"

          Appreciate your assistance with regards to my questions. Learning ALOT as I progress thru this new world of Digipeating…

          Thanks!
        • Fred Hillhouse Jr
          Message 4 of 8 , May 29, 2014
            > As for the deviation - I am fairly sure that it is set ok, but I am not
            100% sure - have not placed the gear on a mater as yet. I have tried to
            access the Tuning/Diagnostics on the OT Configuration program. I am not
            hearing any tones when I click on either and/or both buttons.

            You need to listen with a second radio. Your APRS radio is transmitting so
            unless you have full duplex ...

            This site might help: http://www.febo.com/packet/layer-one/transmit.html

            Best regards,
            Fred N7FMH
          • vk4led
            Message 5 of 8 , May 29, 2014
              Ok, I figured that problem out. Got the radio to key up and run the tone out. Heard them ok and have adjusted the volume. Happy the cable is ok and the tones sound ok.

              Appreciate your assistance. Now to work on the telemetry side. Just have to source a temperature sensor and then, some home get this data to show on the graphs (aprs.fi) - the graphs are the tricky side (for me to grasp)

              Cheers
              Dave
              Message 6 of 8 , May 29, 2014
                On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM, vk4led@... [tracker2]
                <tracker2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > Now to work on the telemetry side. Just have to source a temperature sensor
                > and then, some home get this data to show on the graphs (aprs.fi) - the graphs
                > are the tricky side (for me to grasp)

                To get data to show in the graphs on aprs.fi, all you need to do is
                send telemetry packets out and get them to the APRS-IS stream. If the
                telemetry data gets to the APRS-IS stream, it will be on aprs.fi.

                Look here:

                http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/VK4LED-3?range=week

                There it is.

              • vk4led
                Message 7 of 8 , May 29, 2014
                  Thanks for the reply James

                  Yes, I see the Telemetry packets and graphs there.

                  What I am hoping to do is to get the graphs and display Temperature and Voltage and another field as available via the TNC.

                  I am working on getting external temp to output (awaiting on parts) and then to hook that up to the tracker.

                  What I am hoping to do, is get the graphs to be "user configurable" with them to display Temperature and Voltage.

                  Does this only happen when the new Telemetry is sent or is there a way now to change the values on the graphs for the particular station?

                  Many thanks!
                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 30, 2014
                    On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM, vk4led@... [tracker2]
                    <tracker2@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > What I am hoping to do is to get the graphs and display Temperature
                    > and Voltage and another field as available via the TNC.

                    Ah, that has nothing to do with aprs.fi graphing, but rather is up to
                    you to get the hardware sending the appropriate data.

                    > What I am hoping to do, is get the graphs to be "user configurable"
                    > with them to display Temperature and Voltage.
                    >
                    > Does this only happen when the new Telemetry is sent or is there
                    > a way now to change the values on the graphs for the particular station?

                    So what you are asking, is "Is there a way to scale, and label the graphs?".

                    The answer to that is yes.

                    http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Telemetry#Telemetry_Equations.2C_Units.2C_Parameters.2C_and_Labels

                    Have a read, and if you need some help figuring out the equation
                    parameters, reply back. The equations can be a little tricky to
                    understand.