OTUSB - transmit without vox?

  • ve6stp
    Message 1 of 11 , May 13, 2014
      I have an OTUSB that I wanted to get active again... previously I used the OTUSB with VOX on a Baofeng UV-3R Plus.

      I'm looking at using the OTUSB with either a Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3Rplus or a Radioshack HTX-242 mobile.  I have the appropriate cables for all but I'm wondering if there is away for the OTUSB to beacon without using VOX on the Baofeng handhelds, the Radioshack HTX-242 does not have VOX.

      Thank you,
      Stephane
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13, 2014
        VOX is used very rarely and isn't really recommended. You'll just use
        the PTT connection as usual.

        Scott

        On 5/13/2014 9:27 AM, ve6stp@... [tracker2] wrote:
        > I have an OTUSB that I wanted to get active again... previously I used
        > the OTUSB with VOX on a Baofeng UV-3R Plus.
        >

        > I'm looking at using the OTUSB with either a Baofeng UV-5R, UV-3Rplus or
        > a Radioshack HTX-242 mobile. I have the appropriate cables for all but
        > I'm wondering if there is away for the OTUSB to beacon without using VOX
        > on the Baofeng handhelds, the Radioshack HTX-242 does not have VOX.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Stephane

      • ve6stp
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2014
          I can't seem to get the OTUSB to trigger PTT on the radio's I have.  Is there a setting that I could be missing?  The cable I'm using for the Baofeng radio's is the tracker cable for kenwood/wouxun/baofeng ordered from the argent data site.  the cable I'm using for the Radio Shack HTX-242 is the M7P cable ordered from the byonics website.

          I've combed through the OTUSB manual but I must be missing something.  I've tried mucking around with the HT jumper in the unit to no avail.

          Any ideas on the issue I may be having?

          Thank you,
          Stephane
        • ve6stp
          Message 4 of 11 , May 13, 2014
            I had another crack at my problem tonight and have not been successful.

            When interfacing the OT USB with my Baofeng radio's or my RadioShack HTX-242 I can not get them to PTT.  I checked the cabling and the pin outs look good and I'm getting connectivity on the cables testing with a multi-meter.

            When using the otwincfg program and going to the Tuning/Diagnostic window and pressing the PTT button the RED led lights up on the OT USB, however the radio's do not engage the PTT.  I achieve the same result when connecting directly to the OT USB with a console program and running the calibrate and beacon commands... the RED led lights up on the OT USB, but the radio's fail to engage PTT.

            When I interface the OT USB with the Baofeng handhelds and enable VOX on them, all the tests cause the radio to transmit correctly, however I would rather not use VOX if possible.  I would like to also get the OT USB working with the RadioShack HTX-242 which does not have VOX.

            Decoding of packets appears to be working just fine with the HTX-242.

            I'm not sure what else to try or what additional information I could provide to help troubleshoot this problem.  I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

            Thank you,
            Stephane
          • Anthony Pocock
            Message 5 of 11 , May 14, 2014
              At the risk of sending you off in completely the wrong direction, last weekend I got PTT working on my OTUSB and Tait TM8200.  The hiccup I had was not realizing that the PTT line is held high on the radio at ~300mv and it needs to be tied to ground in order to activate the PTT.  The tricky bit was that I was powering the OTUSB via the USB port and the radio via a 12v cell which meant there was no common ground.

              As soon as I powered the OTUSB and Radio with the same 12v cell, all was good!

              Hope this helps.

              Cheers,

              Anthony
              VK6MAC

              Message 6 of 11 , May 14, 2014
                Could be a dead PTT FET. Can you check for continuity between pin 3 and
                ground on the tracker's radio connector? You should get continuity when
                PTT is on.

                Scott

                On 5/13/2014 9:19 PM, ve6stp@... [tracker2] wrote:
                > I had another crack at my problem tonight and have not been successful.
                >

                > When interfacing the OT USB with my Baofeng radio's or my RadioShack
                > HTX-242 I can not get them to PTT. I checked the cabling and the pin
                > outs look good and I'm getting connectivity on the cables testing with a
                > multi-meter.
                >
                > When using the otwincfg program and going to the Tuning/Diagnostic
                > window and pressing the PTT button the RED led lights up on the OT USB,
                > however the radio's do not engage the PTT. I achieve the same result
                > when connecting directly to the OT USB with a console program and
                > running the calibrate and beacon commands... the RED led lights up on
                > the OT USB, but the radio's fail to engage PTT.
                >
                > When I interface the OT USB with the Baofeng handhelds and enable VOX on
                > them, all the tests cause the radio to transmit correctly, however I
                > would rather not use VOX if possible. I would li ke to also get the OT
                > USB working with the RadioShack HTX-242 which does not have VOX.
                >
                > Decoding of packets appears to be working just fine with the HTX-242.
                >
                > I'm not sure what else to try or what additional information I could
                > provide to help troubleshoot this problem. I hope someone can point me
                > in the right direction.
                >
                > Thank you,
                > Stephane

              • ve6stp
                Message 7 of 11 , May 14, 2014
                  Hi Scott,

                  I do not get continuity between pin 3 and 6 when the PTT is ON or OFF in the Tuning and Diagnostic section of the app.

                  I believe I have the correct pins as I'm getting continuity between pin 1 on the radio interface and one of the HT jumper pins.

                  Are there any other tests I could perform to confirm the issue and how could I go about getting this corrected?

                  Thank you,
                  Stephane
                • ve6stp
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 14, 2014
                    Hi Anthony,

                    Thank you for your suggestion.  This thought had crossed my mind and I have tried several combinations.  Powering via the radio interface cable as well as using the data interface to the computer instead of the USB.  In all scenarios the same symptoms persist... no PTT.

                    Thank you,
                    Stephane

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 20, 2014
                        Hi Scott,

                        Thank you for your reply.  I would like to send it in for repair.  This unit also has a fault with the Green LED which we discussed in the past but didn't bother getting it fixed at that time as it seems cosmetic to me.

                        I also had my dad visiting this past weekend and he also has an OT USB and confirmed that my unit is definitely faulty as his worked well with my cables,radio, etc...  His unit had continuity on the pins that my unit does not.

                        Could you send me the info I will need to send this unit back from Canada.

                        Thank you,
                        Stephane
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 20, 2014
                          Sure, you can just mail it to: