How to connect to T3 mini in KISS via LAN?

  • yt9tp
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8 1:23 AM
      I got T3-mini with intention to make i-Gate. I foudn ut one big limitation, that T3-mini has to be connected to PC running i-gate software via serial port. That limits position for APRS node.

      Ideal position for APRS node would be on top of the building, but I live in apartment number of flors lower. I have LAN on the roof so my idea is to somehow use TCP/IP connection to connect T3-mini on the roof with PC in my apartment which acts as an i-gate.

      Has anoyone tried to do this?

      I found interesting module WI04 Wifi Module - ElectroDragon which seems that may help and it is not expensive. Anyone tried that?

      73

      Pedja YT9TP

    • Ronny Julian
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8 3:53 AM

        On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 4:23 AM, <yt9tp@...> wrote:

        I got T3-mini with intention to make i-Gate. I foudn ut one big limitation, that T3-mini has to be connected to PC running i-gate software via serial port. That limits position for APRS node.

        Ideal position for APRS node would be on top of the building, but I live in apartment number of flors lower. I have LAN on the roof so my idea is to somehow use TCP/IP connection to connect T3-mini on the roof with PC in my apartment which acts as an i-gate.

        Has anoyone tried to do this?

        I found interesting module WI04 Wifi Module - ElectroDragon which seems that may help and it is not expensive. Anyone tried that?

        WI04 Wifi Module - ElectroDragon
         Share  Contents 1 Hardware Info 1.1 Introduction 1.2 Features 1.2.1 Advantages 1.2.2 Application 1.2.3 Module diagram 1.3 Pin Definitions 1.4 Module outline 1.5 Sp...
        Preview by Yahoo

        73

        Pedja YT9TP

      • Mohd Hamid Misnan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8 4:02 AM
          What you could do and many have done this before is to buy those cheap router, TP-Link should be available for a song. Flash the router with OpenWRT, and run aprx on it. Yes, you need to learn a little bit on Linux..

          On May 8, 2014, at 6:53 PM, Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...> wrote:

          On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 4:23 AM, <yt9tp@...> wrote:

          I got T3-mini with intention to make i-Gate. I foudn ut one big limitation, that T3-mini has to be connected to PC running i-gate software via serial port. That limits position for APRS node.

          Ideal position for APRS node would be on top of the building, but I live in apartment number of flors lower. I have LAN on the roof so my idea is to somehow use TCP/IP connection to connect T3-mini on the roof with PC in my apartment which acts as an i-gate.

          Has anoyone tried to do this?

          I found interesting module WI04 Wifi Module - ElectroDragon which seems that may help and it is not expensive. Anyone tried that?

          image
          WI04 Wifi Module - ElectroDragon
           Share  Contents 1 Hardware Info 1.1 Introduction 1.2 Features 1.2.1 Advantages 1.2.2 Application 1.2.3 Module diagram 1.3 Pin Definitions 1.4 Module outline 1.5 Sp...
          Preview by Yahoo

          73

          Pedja YT9TP

        • YT9TP - Pedja
          Message 4 of 5 , May 8 12:58 PM
            On 08.05.14. 12:53, Ronny Julian wrote:
            > A quick search on eBay brings up a few other modules. The X-Bee comes
            > to mind also.

            Yes indeed. But they all share common issue: documentation is not meant
            for novice users. I would like to learn how to actually use it. Do I
            need two devices or I can use PC and some kind of virtual com port
            linked to this device? I saw some APRS software have option for
            connectiong to KISS modems via TCP/IP. Would that work?

            Pedja

            ---
          • Tom Hayward
            Message 5 of 5 , May 8 1:47 PM
              On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 1:23 AM, <yt9tp@...> wrote:
              > I got T3-mini with intention to make i-Gate. I foudn ut one big limitation, that T3-mini has to be connected to PC running i-gate software via serial port. That limits position for APRS node.
              >
              > Ideal position for APRS node would be on top of the building, but I live in apartment number of flors lower. I have LAN on the roof so my idea is to somehow use TCP/IP connection to connect T3-mini on the roof with PC in my apartment which acts as an i-gate.
              >
              > Has anoyone tried to do this?

              We use a console server from Lantronix. The serial port on the T3
              connects to the serial port on the console server, which then feeds
              the data to a TCP socket. Aprx can connect to this TCP socket over the
              network (see section 3.6.10 of the Aprx manual).

              Tom KD7LXL