LCD Troubleshooting / Tracker 2

  • n1zxz
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2014
      Hi!

      I've started working on adding a LCD to the MON08 port on the Tracker2. I've hooked up the LCD to an Arduino and it does test OK, but when I connect the LCD to the T2, all I get is one full line of solid blocks, a blank line, another full line of solid blocks, and another blank line.

      Is this normal? I'm running the latest Beta version of the T2 firmware (as told to me by OTWINCFG) and according to the T2 Wiki, all I need to do is hook up the LCD, the T2 should start using it automatically.

      Am I doing something wrong?

      Also, can the T3 use an LCD panel too? I've looked at the information on line but it doesnt seem like its supported.

      -Rick

    • wt9m
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2014
        I believe the Beta version does not support the LCD display - try and older firmware version. I had the same thing happen with mine. The Beta also had some other things not working - look up my call in the archives - I don't remember the exact versions that did what - but I wrote about them.

        Larry WT9M
      • wt9m
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2014
          Rick ,
          Try firmware version 55076
          Besides the LCD display not working there were some weird voltage report issues and the ACT led did not blink for data in .

          Read this series of threads

          Yahoo Groups

          Larry WT9M

          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2014
            Thats exactly what I did! Turns out that the 55076 version works just fine with the LCD. I wonder, will the Beta versions have the LCD support fixed?

            I would love to see more interaction with the LCD and possibly some pushbuttons to give more features. Right now I have a Nuvi 350 set up to work with the Tracker2, and I want to have the LCD to give real time viewing of the packets coming in. I'm putting together a box with a TX and RX LED as well as a transmit-now pushbutton on it as well as the LCD display.

            -Rick, N1ZXZ
          • sa7aku
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2014
              Hi Nice with some pic of the project :-) /SA7AKU Kenneth
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2014
                So the deal with the LCD support is that what was in the T2 code (for
                use with the MON08 header) was basically a quick hack that supported
                only one type of display and wasn't integrated very cleanly with the
                rest of the code.

                I started refactoring the display code to make it more flexible, but
                quickly ran out of space (flash and RAM both) on the T2. I didn't
                realize it was being actively used by many users so I didn't worry about
                putting it back in.

                The T2 will never support a full-fledged display, but I'm still working
                on that for the T3. It's already got a history function and
                experimental support for 128x64 graphic displays but it's been months
                since I've been able to do any real work with it.

                Maybe when I have time I can go back to the T2 code and get it back to
                the original display capability.

                Scott

                On 5/3/2014 10:18 AM, n1zxz@... wrote:
                > Thats exactly what I did! Turns out that the 55076 version works just
                > fine with the LCD. I wonder, will the Beta versions have the LCD support
                > fixed?
                >
                > I would love to see more interaction with the LCD and possibly some
                > pushbuttons to give more features. Right now I have a Nuvi 350 set up to
                > work with the Tracker2, and I want to have the LCD to give real time
                > viewing of the packets coming in. I'm putting together a box with a TX
                > and RX LED as well as a transmit-now pushbutton on it as well as the LCD
                > display.
                >
                > -Rick, N1ZXZ

              • Bob Burns W9BU
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2014
                  On 5/5/2014 1:31 PM, Scott Miller wrote:

                  > The T2 will never support a full-fledged display, but I'm still working
                  > on that for the T3. It's already got a history function and
                  > experimental support for 128x64 graphic displays but it's been months
                  > since I've been able to do any real work with it.

                  And, I'll take this opportunity to remind you that there's definite
                  interest in extending the T3's capabilities to fully support an LCD. At
                  least, there's interest on my part. <grin>

                  Bob...
                • n1zxz
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 6, 2014
                    Scott:

                    I managed to get the LCD working on 55706, so now I'm working on integrating it into a box with a TX and RX indicator as well as a xmit-now button and a pot for the contrast in the box.

                    I was thinking about maybe an external "back pack" type of display, say, on port B that would have ham-hud like functionality. In other words, have the packets recieved by the T2 be cloned out to port B and then have a box with its own processor, ram, display etc, decode them and handle messages etc. Kinda like the D710 but using the T2 as a modem. Then, the T2 can talk to my Nuvi on port A and the "back pack" on port B.

                    -Rick