T3-9670 -- making contact to configure?

  • Tadd Torborg
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2014
      I’m a noob to Argent Data products and I’m lost here. i suspect the problem is that while I have two physical T3-9670, the company’s wiki page and configuration tool are not updated yet for these units.

      What I want to know is, how would one give the TXFREQ RXFREQ and TXPOWER commands to a KISS device on a Raspberry PI? Or would you give them to the T3-9670 on using the MSWindows otwincfg.exe and then move them to the Raspberry PI?

      I got the otwincfg.exe program to see the T3-9670 unit but I didn’t tell it to write to the unit because there were too many things on the screen that didn’t make any sense, like the 1200 vs 300 baud selection and on and on.

      Tadd KA2DEW
    • Bill Vodall
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12, 2014
        On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Tadd Torborg <tadd@...> wrote:
        > I'm a noob to Argent Data products and I'm lost here. i suspect the problem is that while I have two physical T3-9670, the company's wiki page and configuration tool are not updated yet for these units.
        >
        > What I want to know is, how would one give the TXFREQ RXFREQ and TXPOWER commands to a KISS device on a Raspberry PI?

        Or would you give them to the T3-9670 on using the MSWindows
        otwincfg.exe and then move them to the Raspberry PI?

        Hi,

        Just got my T3-9670 running today and am learning how to make it fly.

        For a start - plug it in to the PI and run the command 'dmesg'
        You'll see at the very end as the new device is recognized.

        Many like 'minicom' but I'm a fan of 'picocom'. To talk to the
        command mode of the TNC, I just enter:

        picocom /dev/ttyACM0

        That should give access to the T3-9670.

        More in a bit,
        73
        Bill, WA7NWP

        PS. My D7 sees the data from the T3-9670 fairly reliably. D7 to the
        T3 is very minimal. A fellow ham at brunch had a new Yeasu APRS TNC
        and it appeared to be picked up by the T3 far better.
      • Tadd Torborg
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 12, 2014
          Bill, thanks for the reply.   My confidence is much improved.  Still not working though.

          I actually bought two of the units so I should be able to link from one to the other.  I only have one Raspberry PI here.  There is another that is at somebody else’s house and not being used right now so if I can get contact with one of these, I’ll go get the other PI tomorrow and see if I can set up a link.  I want to use G8BPQ at both ends and make this part of my packet network.

          I am get gibberish.   Did you get junk?  I wonder if the baud rate is correct?  Not sure how that works with a USB device that is NOT a usb-serial link.  Also, wasn’t the T3-9670 supposed to be in KISS mode?   I don’t really know how to use KISS mode.  I’ve used G8BPQ across KISS mode TNCs but there was a special configurator program provided for the ones that couldn’t be taken out of KISS mode.

          Thanks for the help!  I got picocom installed.  See below, especially where the gibberish shows up at the end.

          pi@tadd ~ $ sudo apt-get install picocom
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
            picocom
          0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          Need to get 23.0 kB of archives.
          After this operation, 82.9 kB of additional disk space will be used.
          Get:1 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ wheezy/main picocom armhf 1.7-1 [23.0 kB]
          Fetched 23.0 kB in 0s (33.2 kB/s)
          Selecting previously unselected package picocom.
          (Reading database ... 70674 files and directories currently installed.)
          Unpacking picocom (from .../picocom_1.7-1_armhf.deb) ...
          Processing triggers for man-db ...
          Setting up picocom (1.7-1) ...
          pi@tadd ~ $ picocom /dev/ttyACM0
          picocom v1.7

          port is        : /dev/ttyACM0
          flowcontrol    : none
          baudrate is    : 9600
          parity is      : none
          databits are   : 8
          escape is      : C-a
          local echo is  : no
          noinit is      : no
          noreset is     : no
          nolock is      : no
          send_cmd is    : sz -vv
          receive_cmd is : rz -vv
          imap is        :
          omap is        :
          emap is        : crcrlf,delbs,

          Terminal ready

          \U^P-10>Q@Ta-15:?,?????S?u?I??X

          Tadd Torborg

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12, 2014
            Interesting.  I did control C and got a cmd prompt from which the TXFREQ and TXPOWER commands work.
            k gets you back out of the cmd: and typing random stuff makes it transmit, it appears.

            This is all new to me.  I didn’t know KISS TNCs worked this way.
            dips gets commands.  Interesting that the baud rates all say 4800.  What does that mean?

            Tadd - KA2DEW / 4 in Raleigh NC

            cmd:disp
            1WIREWX OFF
            ABAUD 4800
            ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE  3:TEMP
            ALTITUDE OFF
            ALTPATH OFF
            AMODE AUTO
            AUTHLIST
            AUTOBAUD OFF
            AUTOSAVE OFF
            BBAUD 4800
            BMODE AUTO
            CDINVERT OFF
            CNTRESET OFF
            COMMENT
            COMPRESS OFF
            COUNTER OFF
            DAO OFF
            DIGI ON
            DIGIID 1:ON 2:ON 3:ON 4:ON 5:ON 6:ON 7:ON 8:ON
            DUPETIME 30
            DOUBLE OFF
            EXTSQL OFF
            EXTTEMP OFF
            FAHRENHT OFF
            FILTER OFF
            FREQADJ -28
            GPSDATA OFF
            HALFSLOT OFF
            HBAUD 1200
            HEADERLN OFF
            HOPLIMIT 1:0 2:3 3:5 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0 8:0
            HTPTT OFF
            INTERVAL 120
            LVINHIBIT 0
            MAXRANGE 0
            MONITOR ON
            MYCALL NOCALL
            NICE 0
            NMEAPASS OFF
            PASSALL OFF
            POSITION GPS
            POWER ON
            PREEMPT 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:OFF 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
            PTTINPUT OFF
            PATH WIDE2-1
            PROPWPT OFF
            PWAUTH OFF
            QUIET 16
            REARM 250
            RETRIES 6
            RETRYTIME 7
            REQALL OFF
            RING OFF
            RXFREQ 439.390000
            SCRIPT OFF
            SECRET 0
            SHAREDPTT OFF
            SLOT 0
            SMARTBCON OFF
            SWDCD ON
            STATUS 0
            SYMBOL />
            TELEMETRY 0
            TEMP OFF
            TEMPADJ 0
            TIMEHMS OFF
            TIMESLOT OFF
            TIMESTAMP OFF
            TRACE OFF
            TXDELAY 10
            TXFREQ 439.390000
            TXLEVEL 255
            TXNOFIX OFF
            TXONCHG OFF
            TXPOWER 100
            USBKISS OFF
            USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF
            VELOCITY ON
            VOLTAGE OFF
            WAYPOINTS ON
            WPTLEN 9
            cmd:

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 12, 2014
              USBKISS=off
              Hmm.  Perhaps that needs to be on?

              Sent from my abacus

              On Apr 13, 2014, at 12:29 AM, Tadd Torborg <tadd@...> wrote:

> [...]

              Or would you give them to the T3-9670 on using the MSWindows
              otwincfg.exe and then move them to the Raspberry PI?

              Hi,

              Just got my T3-9670 running today and am learning how to make it fly.

              For a start - plug it in to the PI and run the command 'dmesg'
              You'll see at the very end as the new device is recognized.

              Many like 'minicom' but I'm a fan of 'picocom'. To talk to the
              command mode of the TNC, I just enter:

              picocom /dev/ttyACM0

              That should give access to the T3-9670.

              More in a bit,
              73
              Bill, WA7NWP

              PS. My D7 sees the data from the T3-9670 fairly reliably. D7 to the
              T3 is very minimal. A fellow ham at brunch had a new Yeasu APRS TNC
              and it appeared to be picked up by the T3 far better.

            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 13, 2014
                Tadd KA2DEW wrote...

                > ALIAS 1:RELAY 2:WIDE 3:TEMP

                Just in case you didn't know, RELAY is obsolete in North America. It has
                been replaced by a traceable WIDEn-N. Was RELAY the default setting there?

                > MYCALL NOCALL

                This of course should have your callsign-SSID in it.

                > PATH WIDE2-1

                Good path!

                > SWDCD ON

                You can run with the squelch open with this setting.

                > USEALIAS 1:OFF 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:OFF 6:OFF 7:OFF 8:OFF

                With this setting, you won't be responding to the obsolete RELAY
                mentioned above.

                Good luck with the T3-9670!

                --
                73 Keith VE7GDH
              • Jason KG4WSV
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 13, 2014
                  Txfreq and all other commands do not work in KISS mode.

                  If the tnc is in KISS mode packets will look like binary garbage, because much of the ax.25 header is binary.

                  -Jason
                  kg4wsv
                • Tadd Torborg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 13, 2014
                    What I assumed, and apparently I was wrong, was that this TNC was KISS-mode-only, like the TNC-PI.
                    I had understood that it was KISS mode only since back before I ordered it 4 months ago.
                    That’s cool that it has command mode.  I will continue to mess around with it.

                    The Tracker 3 manual says that HBAUD is
                    HBAUD 1200|300
                    Selects transmission baud rate.  Note that the reception baud rate is fixed at 1200 baud.
                    Return value: 99 = invalid setting, =1200, 1 = 300, 2 = PSK31

                    So the T3-9670 (see command DISPLAY earlier in this thread) says it iHBAUD = 1200.  Well.  it certainly doesn’t sound like 1200 on the air.   It sounds like 9600 baud.

                    Tadd Torborg

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 13, 2014
                      I have two of these hooked up now
                      TXDELAY makes a difference on the length of the packet but not on the reliability. I set it to 1 and it works.  0 does not work.  I’m not sure but it seemed like 3 worked better than 1.  25 didn’t seem to work any better than 3.  Is there a sleep mode on this thing where it takes some milliseconds to wake up?

                      Even at 25 the message reliability was not perfect though it was also no better than 3.  90% maybe?

                      It doesn’t seem to have a connect mode.  Perhaps that’s why I heard that it had to be in KISS mode.  Maybe you can’t get a connect without some higher application running things via KISS, like G8BPQ or something.  Balloon tracking wouldn’t need connections.

                      Tadd Torborg

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 14, 2014
                        The baud rates are for the two serial ports, which aren't used on the
                        T3-9670. The on-air baud rate is (for now) fixed at 9600.

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 14, 2014
                          If you're going to run KISS over the USB side, then yes.

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 14, 2014
                            It is, HBAUD is ignored for now. When I've had more time to test it,
                            it'll support other FSK baud rates, but it won't do 300 or 1200 baud AFSK.

                            Scott