Nuvi 350 Software Updates

  • Hamer
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2014
      I'm having a hell of a time with this Nuvi 350.

      I plug it into the Tracker 2 to get it sending data bursts, and then I plug it into my laptop, 4800 8N1 and it's all garbly goop.  I've researched the garmin data bursts and it's nothing like it.  I've tried every baud rate and parity/flowcontrol/etc combination possible with no usable data from the unit.

      I'm running software version 4.6 but when I run the webupdater it gives the error message "The update file is corrupted".  When i look at the software page for 6.2, it says to use Garmin Express to install the firmware, but that only sees USB devices.  Is there any way to update the firmware via serial?  Are there known issues with 4.6?

      Any help is appreciated.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2014
        Once the T2 gets the nuvi sending PVT data, you could hook it up to a
        PC, but it's always at 9600 baud. You won't see anything intelligible
        in a terminal program.

        I think you might be able to update the nuvi using the SD card slot, but
        I'm not certain. For Webupdater, you'll be using a standard USB cable,
        NOT the FMI cable.

        Scott

        On 4/1/2014 2:43 PM, Hamer wrote:
        > I'm having a hell of a time with this Nuvi 350.
        >
        > I plug it into the Tracker 2 to get it sending data bursts, and then I
        > plug it into my laptop, 4800 8N1 and it's all garbly goop. I've
        > researched the garmin data bursts and it's nothing like it. I've tried
        > every baud rate and parity/flowcontrol/etc combination possible with no
        > usable data from the unit.
        >
        > I'm running software version 4.6 but when I run the webupdater it gives
        > the error message "The update file is corrupted". When i look at the
        > software page for 6.2, it says to use Garmin Express to install the
        > firmware, but that only sees USB devices. Is there any way to update the
        > firmware via serial? Are there known issues with 4.6?
        >
        > Any help is appreciated.

      • Hamer
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2014
          Thank you, I have a USB on order; do you know of any issues with the 4.6 software? It's the only thing I could think of as to why it's not working. I've got the 350 powered from the back, and the appropriate FMI cable on the side...

          I've tried viewing it at 9600 8N1 and E71 with various types of flow control (including none) and I get nothing similar to what the docs say the Garmin protocal looks like...

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2014
            I'm not even sure the 5.x versions work - you'll definitely need to
            update it.

            Keep in mind that the protocol docs show values in hex, and it's not
            going to look like that coming across a regular terminal program.
            You'll just get lots of unreadable control characters.

            Scott