using OT3m with newer GPS Garmins

  • k7cdl
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17, 2014
      with the add of usb to the trackers has anyone tryed using newer GPS units like the Nuvi 2797Lmt units? thinking of taking a long road trip in 2015 and would like to get a new GPS for the trip.
      K7CDL
      Rondall Swart
    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 17, 2014
        I use a T3-135, which is the same as the OT3m I believe, with a Nuvi 1490LMT.  It works, no breadcrumbs, but you have to bounce out to the menu and back to the map to get a refresh on the locations of recent stations.  The map doesn't update when stations change position.

        Tracking and messaging work fine.

        I've also got the T3-135 set up to digipeat on TEMP which I use from my D72 when out hiking or biking.  Works nice!

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17, 2014
          Page 15 of the user manual:

          11.1. USB Operation

          When the USB connection is in use, the tracker draws its power from the host
          system - no other connections are required for configuration of the unit.
          Note that the Tracker3 does NOT act as a host device - the USB port is only used
          for connecting to a PC, and cannot be used to connect a USB GPS receiver.

          The addition of a USB port to the does not affect the operation of the GPS.

          If you don't know what USB host is, you might want to read up on it.

          If you can get the GPS to speak NMEA strings in the RS-232 "dialect", then you should be able to get position data into the tracker. If you can send waypoints via NMEA or get the GPS to work properly in FMI mode you have a chance of getting positions plotted on the GPS.