APRS with a HT

  • n0utj
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014
      I am wanting to set up a APRS unit using a HT, and was wondering what would be the best way to go as far as hardware. No computer will be attached during mobile operation, only for setup.

      thanks
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014
        Depends - what exactly do you want to do with it?

        Scott

        On 1/31/2014 8:42 AM, N0UTJ@... wrote:
        > I am wanting to set up a APRS unit using a HT, and was wondering what
        > would be the best way to go as far as hardware. No computer will be
        > attached during mobile operation, only for setup.
        >
        > thanks

      • ve6srv
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014
          The best way that integrates everything into one package is the Kenwood TH-D72. You could also look at the Yaesu offering as well. In Scott's line up, there's the T3-301 which integrates a T3 into the FC-301. There. Are also some other offerings out there.

          Now if you are looking to tie a T3 or an OT-USB into an HT on your own, the sky is the limit. Are you thinking about tossing the thing in your pocket to carry around, or will it be tucked away somewhere?

          We need to know more about your use in order to possibly help narrow down the target.

          It's like me asking the group what's the best vehicle for me? You've got no idea what I need as far as price range, passenger capacity, payload requirements, towing capacity, make, model, or colour.

          Where are you headed with this concept?

          From: <N0UTJ@...>
          Sender: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
          Date: 31 Jan 2014 08:42:00 -0800
          To: <tracker2@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [tracker2] APRS with a HT

          I am wanting to set up a APRS unit using a HT, and was wondering what would be the best way to go as far as hardware. No computer will be attached during mobile operation, only for setup.

          thanks
        • Brian Amos
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014

            I use an otusb with my FT 60 while hiking. It works great. And i can plug my netbook in at camp and have a full fledged aprs system complete with digipeater if i turn on the cellular data connection.

            Although there are some hts that have aprs built in, I havent tried them. They dont meet my needs but I have heard great reviews though.

            Brian
            KF7OVD

          • Michael Wright
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014
              > set up a APRS unit using a HT,

              take a look how I packaged a T3-mini in a small box with connectors on top, photos in Photos section "K6MFW" folder. It can run on a 9V battery, all cables in one direction so works convenient when placed in pocket. GPS receiver is same model Scott sells, which I place on my shoulder with tape.

              This is also same model that uses pulseox sensor.

              Mike K6MFW
            • ve6srv
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014
                Just to be clear, you don't need a cellular data connection to make a digipeater. Digipeaters are RF only devices.

                From: Brian Amos <bamos1@...>
                Sender: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:10:03 -0700
                To: <tracker2@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: Re: [tracker2] APRS with a HT

                I use an otusb with my FT 60 while hiking. It works great. And i can plug my netbook in at camp and have a full fledged aprs system complete with digipeater if i turn on the cellular data connection.

                Although there are some hts that have aprs built in, I havent tried them. They dont meet my needs but I have heard great reviews though.

                Brian
                KF7OVD

              • Randall
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014

                  WOW, thanks for the replies already.

                  I looked at the Kenwood D72, even the older D7A(G) but think I can put together “something” and use one of my existing HT’s for less than a D72, about $450.

                  It’s use will mostly be on a motorcycle with a pouch for the hardware and maybe a battery.

                  I have looked at the OT3m as being the most ready to go complete unit. But would like a smaller device.

                  The T3-Mini looks interesting but I would need a complete setup and am not sure it would be much smaller than the OT3m when complete.

                  And the T3-Micro seems to be in beta testing and would need to be a complete system too.

                  I guess the T3-Mini looks most interesting to me right now, but would need complete wiring diagrams and list of components, and software for programming.

                  Once in the field, read “on a trip”, it might be a week before a computer would be available for adjustments.

                  Thanks again for the replies.

                  Randall

                • ve6srv
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014
                    The wiring diagrams and software are available. Put in your order.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014

                      Since I put something together, I haven’t really touched it since except to occasionally add/test something new.

                      The only issue you might have with the HT example is always turning it on with the volume set to the same level. But unless you are actually using the data received, that isn’t really critical. I myself want to see received data so I take precautions.

                      Make it so Randall!

                      Best regards,

                      Fred N7FMH

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014

                        So far the only hook up data/instructions I can find is in the manual and it shows the pin-outs on the T3-Mini.

                        Where those pins go on which D-Sub 9,s and other cables, I have no idea.

                        I would want to hook up a GPS unit to this too.

                        Thanks

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 31, 2014
                          FYI I have been doing APRS with an old Icom IC-2GAT h/t for many years
                          now. Maybe close to a decade. I have a TT2, a TT3, and an OT-3M. They
                          all work fine with it. You can see it now if you want - look for N3HGB-5.

                          73
                          Joe
                        • Randall
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 1, 2014

                            Well I took the plunge and ordered a T3-Mini.

                            And some stuff from allelectronics, 9 pin D-subs, and 5v VR’s.

                            I was impressed by the pictures recently posted on the group site.

                            Don’t remember the posters name but he had a unit in a light grey box and a unit in a black box. Wondering where and what model the black box was.

                            Now I wait . . . . . . . . .

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 1, 2014
                              >Don’t remember the posters name but he had a unit in a light grey box and a unit in a black box.

                              that was me, Michael K6MFW. Those boxes were bought at Frys Electronics in Sunnyvale (or Campbell), CA. I don't know the model number, they looked like what I can use so I got them.

                              Grey box is in my car so anytime I want to fire up ARRS it is ready to go. Black box is tailored to portable use. Both can run on 9V battery or 12VDC (with a powerpole).

                              Mike
                            • Randall
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 1, 2014

                                Thanks

                                I found a box at Allelectronics that looks close in size, I also have a aluminum split body enclosure from Context Engineering that I might use for a permanent setting after I get  it up and running.

                                Randy

                                >Don’t remember the posters name but he had a unit in a light grey box and a unit in a black box.

                                that was me, Michael K6MFW. Those boxes were bought at Frys Electronics in Sunnyvale (or Campbell), CA. I don't know the model number, they looked like what I can use so I got them.

                                Grey box is in my car so anytime I want to fire up ARRS it is ready to go. Black box is tailored to portable use. Both can run on 9V battery or 12VDC (with a powerpole).

                                Mike

                              • captnkliegle
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 7, 2014

                                  Sorry, late to the party once again.

                                  Just be sure the HT you choose has a 'hard' on/off switch if it's going to be locked up in a sealed box.

                                  Newer HT's are software controlled, ie momentary push button on/off. Once power is removed, one has to push the power button again when power is restored.

                                  I have older rigs like the IC-2AT,  IC-O2AT, IC-24AT, for such purpose. The IC-24AT has been in service as a solar powered WX Digi for years!

                                  73 de Kriss  KA1GJU-3