HTX-202 Cable PTT?

  • qrv@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2014
      I've looked at this cable for use between my OT3m and HTX-202:

      https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=141

      Where is PTT, please?

      Thanks!

      --

      David (NOT Dave) Colburn, KD4E - Nevils, Georgia USA

      Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2014
        Here's a page explaining the radio wiring...

        http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Radio_Wiring

        Here's an image showing the schematic of a microphone of this type.

        http://highfields-arc.co.uk/constructors/micwiring/mwfiles/y2.jpg

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2014
          Like most HTs, PTT on the HTX-202 is combined with the mic audio line.
          The tracker signals PTT by connecting the mic audio and ground lines
          through a 2.2k resistor.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2014
            Thanks Scott!

            D-Sub/DB-9
            Pin
            ------------------------
            1 Mic (2.5mm) Tip
            5 Spkr (3.5mm) Tip
            6 Ground/Shell
            7 12VDC
            (pins 2, 3, 4, 8, 9 are unused)

            I take it that the 2.2k PTT resistor is inside the OT3m box?

            I don't see what is the purpose for DC power - the HTX-202
            has a power source as does the OT3m.

            David

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2014
              Is this pin-out correct, please?

              I want to try a test cable before I buy one to see
              if the HTX-202 will be adequate for APRS here.

              Also, the purpose of the DC on Pin 7 is unclear.

              David

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 11, 2014
                On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM, qrv@... <qrv@...> wrote:

                > Is this pin-out correct, please?

                Yes it is.

                > I want to try a test cable before I buy one to see
                > if the HTX-202 will be adequate for APRS here.
                >
                > Also, the purpose of the DC on Pin 7 is unclear.

                The DC on Pin 7 provides the energy required for the electronics to
                operate. All electronics requires an energy source. Pin 7 (along with
                Pin 6 as the ground) will allow you to provide a voltage and current
                source to allow the electronics within the device to operate.

                Page 8 of the user manual describes the pin out of each connector on
                the back panel.

                As per the information provided on page 9 of the OT3 user manual, the
                HT jumper is used to engage the built in resistor required for this
                type of application.

                Between those two pages, they tell you that you can supply power to
                the unit via the coaxial DC connector, via pin 7 on the radio
                connector, or pin 4 of the serial connector (with appropriate jumper
                selection).

              • qrv@kd4e.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 11, 2014
                  It may be helpful for the graphic to indicate that providing DC
                  via Pin 7 is optional.

                  I was guessing that but have learned it is best not to assume.

                  Thanks!

                  --

                  David (NOT Dave) Colburn, KD4E - Nevils, Georgia USA

                  Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com

                • captnkliegle
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 11, 2014

                    I just made a set of cables for an old Icom OA-2AT (same as HTX-202) and the OT1+ using mono phone plugs (1/8" and 3/32") and some RG-174 coax.

                     PTT is usually on Pin3 of the DB-9, but since the capacitor and resistor are already inside the enclosure, one only has to set the HT jumper accordingly.

                    My problem is that the same OT1+ is used 2X a year for public service events inside a plastic toolbox with a gel-cell battery and a mobile rig. I just have to remember to reset the jumper or it won't TX.

                    73 de Kriss KA1GJU

                  • Stephen Black

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 12, 2014
                        Cable built & jumper moved to HT position in OT3m.

                        OT3m to HTX-202 appears to be working fine.

                        I did not include the Pin 7 connection as I have
                        satisfactory DC power sources direct to both devices.

                        David KD4E

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 13, 2014
                          An alternative is to disable the PTT jumper and build the 2.2k resistor
                          into the cable you use with the HT.

                          Scott