RE: [tracker2] Hamhud and Tracker 2

  • 'Scott Miller'
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
      Really?  It doesn't take a lot more than command mode.  In fact, it's easier to do some things like skip digipeater fields since they're fixed-length.  He's welcome to take a look at my KISS and AX.25 code if it'd help.  My KISS decoder is a simple finite state machine that handles the escaping and such on the fly.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
        --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

        > Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it
        > commands even if it's not
        > in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */. If
        > the HamHud can be
        > configured with the proper commands, that might do
        > the trick.

        How much of a pain would it be to add a command that
        forced the T2 into Command Mode on power up? I think
        that would really solve half of the battle. After
        that, the T2 pretty much acts like a standard TNC2
        clone at that point. That is really what the HamHUD
        is looking for. Can I assume that the T2 can be taken
        out of Converse mode the same way any TNC2 clone is?
        If so, the HamHUD already knows how to do this. It
        also uses the standard "CONV" to put the TNC into
        Converse mode.

        The major is issue is the HamHUD firmware is pretty
        much not going to be updated from this point on due to
        the future developments.

        Jason KE4NYV
        RPC Electronics
        www.rpc-electronics.com

      • 'Scott Miller'
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
          Yeah, I can add a command for that.  Converse mode should work the same as a TNC2 clone.

          Scott

          > Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it
          > commands even if it's not
          > in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */. If
          > the HamHud can be
          > configured with the proper commands, that might do
          > the trick.

          How much of a pain would it be to add a command that
          forced the T2 into Command Mode on power up? I think
          that would really solve half of the battle. After
          that, the T2 pretty much acts like a standard TNC2
          clone at that point. That is really what the HamHUD
          is looking for. Can I assume that the T2 can be taken
          out of Converse mode the same way any TNC2 clone is?
          If so, the HamHUD already knows how to do this. It
          also uses the standard "CONV" to put the TNC into
          Converse mode.

          The major is issue is the HamHUD firmware is pretty
          much not going to be updated from this point on due to
          the future developments.

          Jason KE4NYV
          RPC Electronics
          www.rpc-electronics .com

        • 'Scott Miller'
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
            The T2 is doing CTS/RTS flow control, not XON/XOFF.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
              Ok all this talk makes me want to build one now lol. I'd like to breadboard one and play with it if nothing else until the two of them play together nicely. Sounds like it's in the works ;)

              Jason, can you contact me off list with a valid email? I had some questions about assembling one of these.....

              My email address is stephen.brown75@...

              tnx and 73's
              Stephen
              K1LNX

            • Mark Miller
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                Is hardware flow control configurable on a T2 or is it on all of the time?
                73,
                Mark N5RFX

                At 11:31 AM 4/12/2007, you wrote:

                >The T2 is doing CTS/RTS flow control, not XON/XOFF.
                >
                >Scott
              • Jason Rausch
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                  Stephen, below is a cross post I made on the HamHUD
                  SIG. This pretty much explains the status of the
                  project and kit availability...

                  --- Start Copy ---

                  Last night my local club (Virginia Beach ARC) had a
                  "Show and Tell"
                  meeting. We were asked to bring in any little projects
                  we have been
                  working on to show off. I had several little things I
                  have been
                  working on for RPC, but natually I had to show
                  somthing off with the
                  HamHUD. I brought in the breakout board that I have
                  been showing off
                  for a few months now. Keep in mind that I was showing
                  this to a
                  fairly green APRS group, most had never seen working
                  APRS, let alone
                  a HamHUD (or heard of it for that matter).

                  I immediately got questions of "How can I get a
                  kit???".

                  Which brings me to question...is there anyone else out
                  there looking
                  for a kit? The residual kit inventory left from Dayton
                  has been
                  exhausted, but I do however still have many PCBs
                  on-hand. There is a
                  local interest here for kits, as well as a small group
                  at Virginia
                  Tech looking for kits. I am considering a third
                  kitting to get the
                  rest of the boards out there. This would be a small
                  kitting and the
                  price would vary on that number. The main issue is
                  getting the cases
                  from Hammond. If there is enough demand, I might be
                  able to order a
                  small batch of the custom cases for the kits.

                  --- End Copy ---

                  I think that if we can getthe T2 working reliably with
                  the HamHUD, there would be another surge of kit
                  requests.

                  wrote:

                  > Ok all this talk makes me want to build one now lol.
                  > I'd like to breadboard
                  > one and play with it if nothing else until the two
                  > of them play together
                  > nicely. Sounds like it's in the works ;)
                  >
                  > Jason, can you contact me off list with a valid
                  > email? I had some questions
                  > about assembling one of these.....
                  >
                  > My email address is stephen.brown75@...
                  >
                  > tnx and 73's
                  > Stephen
                  > K1LNX
                  >

                  > On 4/12/07, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yeah, I can add a command for that. Converse
                  > mode should work the same
                  > > as a TNC2 clone.
                  > >
                  > > Scott

                • 'Scott Miller'
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                    For the regular T2, you can set BMODE to FLOW and the second serial port is sacrificed for flow control.  The T2-135 has the second serial port on the front panel and the Dallas 1-wire bus shares the CTS line, so you turn on flow control by setting 1WIRE OFF.

                    Scott