Tracker 3 OT3m with APRS/CE HP iPaq h2215?

  • qrv@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2013
      I have this old iPaq here collecting dust & wondered if
      it might be repurposed as part of a portable digipeater+?

      It may see occasional ARES use to send a quick message but
      mainly as a quick manual location reset (without bothering
      with a GPS) emergency APRS digi in an area with few APRS
      resources.

      I'd hook it to a HTX-202 handheld and probably an OT3m.

      I've read some references to using an iPaq - anyone doing it?

      --

      David (NOT Dave) Colburn, KD4E - Nevils, Georgia USA

      Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2013
        On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM, qrv@... <qrv@...> wrote:

        > I have this old iPaq here collecting dust & wondered if
        > it might be repurposed as part of a portable digipeater+?

        Sure thing...

        > It may see occasional ARES use to send a quick message but
        > mainly as a quick manual location reset (without bothering
        > with a GPS) emergency APRS digi in an area with few APRS
        > resources.

        Sounds like you want to use the iPaq to connect to the OT3m... does
        your iPaq have a serial port? If so, connect it to the OT3m. You can
        send commands to the OT3m if you have a terminal program on the iPaq.

        > I'd hook it to a HTX-202 handheld and probably an OT3m.

        Connect the HTX-202 into the OT3m, configure the OT3m as a digipeater,
        and toss the iPaq out the window! You can send commands to the OT3m
        via RF, and make the changes necessary via APRS messages. No need for
        silly cables, iPaqs, or even visits to the site.

        > I've read some references to using an iPaq - anyone doing it?

        Maybe one of the people that wrote the references to using the iPaq.

        Have you figured out where you live yet? I see you're still beaconing
        from the middle of the trees.

      • qrv@kd4e.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 28, 2013
          Hmmm.

          Programming via radio is an interesting possibility - so long as
          it's defended against hacking.

          Removing one piece of hardware removes one point of failure and
          of unnecessary complexity (though I am required to have available
          an RF device capable of doing the programming - it would be a
          multi-purpose handheld 2/440).

          Don't know what to tell you about the location thing - I set the
          settings as I thought was correct. If I can get some uninterrupted
          time I'll look at it again.

          I can't tell if my APRS rf digi is serving much of a purpose at the
          moment, or if anyone cares how accurate it is, but as-mentioned I'd
          like to encourage more APRS usage here & a locally-accessible digi
          may help.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2013
            On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 3:49 PM, qrv@... <qrv@...> wrote:

            > Programming via radio is an interesting possibility - so long as
            > it's defended against hacking.

            Yes, the OT2 and OT3m will do authentication. The PASSLIST command
            along with SECRET on page 11 (PDF 14) of the user manual tells you all
            about it. Of course you can end up locking yourself out of the device.
            I never use authentication on any of my digipeaters. I guess I'm lucky
            in that I live in a country where people treat each other
            respectfully, and don't go out of their way to screw up property
            belonging to others, that is serving the whole community.

            > Removing one piece of hardware removes one point of failure and
            > of unnecessary complexity (though I am required to have available
            > an RF device capable of doing the programming - it would be a
            > multi-purpose handheld 2/440).

            You don't even need to have a ham radio at hand. I have connected to
            and made setting changes to my digipeaters while I was on vacation in
            Mexico. You simply send command messages to the desired device, and
            *IF* you have a properly configured and operating APRS network in your
            area, the messages will be gated to RF (if sourced from the APRS-IS),
            and get to the desired device.

            Of course, if the local i-gates aren't configured properly, or your
            digipeater network is overloaded by improperly configured or abusive
            stations, it can make remote access difficult.

            > Don't know what to tell you about the location thing - I set the
            > settings as I thought was correct. If I can get some uninterrupted
            > time I'll look at it again.

            I went through detailed steps on how to point at your house and send a
            link to me in a private email. I have not seen the response back yet.
            You indicated that your house might be the one with the round pool in
            the backyard, but did not confirm that.

            > I can't tell if my APRS rf digi is serving much of a purpose at the
            > moment,

            Is it digipeating signals?

            > or if anyone cares how accurate it is,

            If it is hearing packets and digipeating them, then it is 100%
            accurate, unless you have PASSALL enabled, and if PASSALL is enabled,
            you are contributing to problems in your local network.

            > but as-mentioned I'd like to encourage more APRS
            > usage here & a locally-accessible digi may help.

            Best to get things set up properly if you want to help out!