Noise on serial input ?

  • wt9m
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 27, 2013
      Since I connected the WS1 to the serial input Port B of the OT2M I notice some spikes on the weather graph. Does anyone have an idea what may be causing this and how to get rid of it ?
      If you look at the plot of my weather data you will see the lines are smooth before 12-25 when I changed from having the WS1 transmit out the weather data directly to inputting the serial output from the WS1 into the OT2M . The radio is exactly the same.
      http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=WT9M-8&last=240
      Larry WT9M

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 29, 2013
          I just updated it to the newest firmware and will see how it goes.
          Thanks
          Larry WT9M
        • wt9m
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 29, 2013

            The OT2M updated firmware version on the web 56330 does not support LCD display. I was just connecting up some new wires for telemetry and power control and the display did not work. I thought I had messed up the wiring of the LCD display and checked and rechecked redid all the solder joints until I gave up and realized I had loaded the updated firmware. I went back to the older version for now.

            A related question - Pin 10 on the mono 8 connector in the OT2M is used by both the LCD display and also the telemetry input. Is it one or the other or can it do both ?  How does the OT2M know which one it is ?

          • wt9m
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 29, 2013
              Also with the most current firmware 56330 from web  for OT2M I notice some other quirks .
              Voltage reporting is weird showing high voltage
              4333.54N/09038.74W_ 6546.3V 51F

              The ACT led on front display didn't blink to show serial input data - though I think the data was showing up when I looked at it via Snoop command.

              Went back to version 55076 to confirm LED blinks and voltage is in normal range now too.

              Larry WT9M
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2014
                I'm pretty sure that in firmware versions with LCD support, the pin's not usable for telemetry.  I finally had to start a big spreadsheet to keep track of variations in pin assignments across hardware revisions and software modes, but it's not complete yet and for the T2 I've got to dig into some old archives.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2014
                  Ah, I've got it. Integer overflow bug - it was only failing above a
                  certain voltage. I've uploaded a new beta version.

                  I did notice that it didn't take data from the GPS on port B after I'd
                  already had it running on port A. Probably a bug in the port mode
                  interlock code - it's kind of janky and I've been working on sorting it
                  out. It tries to keep track of which port has what data on it so it
                  doesn't screw up the parsers, but there are transition cases that it
                  misses. In any case, the LED blinks as expected when it boots with NMEA
                  data on port B.

                  Still no LCD support in this version. I may go back and rip out the
                  general-purpose UI code I was writing for the T3 to make room for the
                  limited 4-line display again, since there's never going to be enough
                  code space or RAM for the more advanced version.

                  Scott

                  On 12/29/2013 3:39 PM, wt9m@... wrote:
                  > Also with the most current firmware 56330 from web for OT2M I notice
                  > some other quirks .
                  > Voltage reporting is weird showing high voltage
                  > 4333.54N/09038.74W_ 6546.3V 51F
                  >
                  > The ACT led on front display didn't blink to show serial input data -
                  > though I think the data was showing up when I looked at it via Snoop
                  > command.
                  >
                  > Went back to version 55076 to confirm LED blinks and voltage is in
                  > normal range now too.
                  >
                  > Larry WT9M

                • wt9m
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2014
                    Scott,
                    I just loaded the 56330 from web labeled Beta dated 2-2-1013  so not sure if that is the correct one you just fixed but only one available.

                    The ACT Led still does not blink for the WS1 input on port B . But the data does show up in Snoop view and everything seems to transmit okay.

                    The LCD display isn't that important to me anyway so if it goes away no big deal.
                    I did find out that at least for the previous firmware using pin 10 works for both LCD and telemetry at the same time. I made a light sensor from a photo cell to go into that pin.

                    http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/WT9M-8

                    Larry WT9M
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 7, 2014
                      No, you should see a newer one from a few days ago.

                      Scott

                      On 1/4/2014 9:58 AM, wt9m@... wrote:
                      > Scott,
                      > I just loaded the 56330 from web labeled Beta dated 2-2-1013 so not
                      > sure if that is the correct one you just fixed but only one available.
                      >
                      > The ACT Led still does not blink for the WS1 input on port B . But the
                      > data does show up in Snoop view and everything seems to transmit okay.
                      >
                      > The LCD display isn't that important to me anyway so if it goes away no
                      > big deal.
                      > I did find out that at least for the previous firmware using pin 10
                      > works for both LCD and telemetry at the same time. I made a light sensor
                      > from a photo cell to go into that pin.
                      >
                      > http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/WT9M-8
                      >
                      > Larry WT9M

                    • wt9m
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 12, 2014
                        Scott -
                        the newer Beta firmware version does not show up on the web update on OTWINCFG.

                        Larry WT9M
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 14, 2014
                          For the T2? Looks OK from here.

                          Scott

                          On 1/12/2014 7:59 AM, wt9m@... wrote:
                          > Scott -
                          > the newer Beta firmware version does not show up on the web update on
                          > OTWINCFG.
                          >
                          > Larry WT9M

                        • wt9m
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 18, 2014
                            Scott - when I use otwincfg and click on upload firmware from web it only shows me the two older versions of the firmware.
                            55076 9-2-2009
                            56330 2-7-1013
                            I just figured out how to find it at this link
                            http://www.argentdata.com/support/firmware/AP64/?C=M;O=A
                            and downloaded it as a file.
                            I updated firmware to 56660 1-3-2014 and will let it run awhile to see how it works.
                            I do notice that the ACT light doesn't flash on the OT2M but that doesn't matter to me as long as it is getting the data which is showing up okay in snoop.

                            Larry WT9M