RE: [tracker2] Hamhud and Tracker 2

  • 'Scott Miller'
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
      Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it commands even if it's not in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */.  If the HamHud can be configured with the proper commands, that might do the trick.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
        Really?  It doesn't take a lot more than command mode.  In fact, it's easier to do some things like skip digipeater fields since they're fixed-length.  He's welcome to take a look at my KISS and AX.25 code if it'd help.  My KISS decoder is a simple finite state machine that handles the escaping and such on the fly.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
          --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

          > Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled
          > by default.

          Well, we now have two options with that. The HamHUD
          is capable of both hardware flow control via the RTS
          line and/or XON/XOFF software flow control.

          Do you think that one would play nicer over another?

          Jason KE4NYV
          RPC Electronics
          www.rpc-electronics.com

        • Jason Rausch
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
            --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

            > Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it
            > commands even if it's not
            > in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */. If
            > the HamHud can be
            > configured with the proper commands, that might do
            > the trick.

            How much of a pain would it be to add a command that
            forced the T2 into Command Mode on power up? I think
            that would really solve half of the battle. After
            that, the T2 pretty much acts like a standard TNC2
            clone at that point. That is really what the HamHUD
            is looking for. Can I assume that the T2 can be taken
            out of Converse mode the same way any TNC2 clone is?
            If so, the HamHUD already knows how to do this. It
            also uses the standard "CONV" to put the TNC into
            Converse mode.

            The major is issue is the HamHUD firmware is pretty
            much not going to be updated from this point on due to
            the future developments.

          • 'Scott Miller'
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
              Yeah, I can add a command for that.  Converse mode should work the same as a TNC2 clone.

              Scott

              > Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it
              > commands even if it's not
              > in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */. If
              > the HamHud can be
              > configured with the proper commands, that might do
              > the trick.

              How much of a pain would it be to add a command that
              forced the T2 into Command Mode on power up? I think
              that would really solve half of the battle. After
              that, the T2 pretty much acts like a standard TNC2
              clone at that point. That is really what the HamHUD
              is looking for. Can I assume that the T2 can be taken
              out of Converse mode the same way any TNC2 clone is?
              If so, the HamHUD already knows how to do this. It
              also uses the standard "CONV" to put the TNC into
              Converse mode.

              The major is issue is the HamHUD firmware is pretty
              much not going to be updated from this point on due to
              the future developments.

              Jason KE4NYV
              RPC Electronics
              www.rpc-electronics .com

            • 'Scott Miller'
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                The T2 is doing CTS/RTS flow control, not XON/XOFF.

                Scott

                > Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled
                > by default.

                Well, we now have two options with that. The HamHUD
                is capable of both hardware flow control via the RTS
                line and/or XON/XOFF software flow control.

                Do you think that one would play nicer over another?

                Jason KE4NYV
                RPC Electronics
                www.rpc-electronics .com

              • Stephen Brown Jr
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                  Ok all this talk makes me want to build one now lol. I'd like to breadboard one and play with it if nothing else until the two of them play together nicely. Sounds like it's in the works ;)

                  Jason, can you contact me off list with a valid email? I had some questions about assembling one of these.....

                  My email address is stephen.brown75@...

                  tnx and 73's
                  Stephen
                  K1LNX

                • Mark Miller
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                    Is hardware flow control configurable on a T2 or is it on all of the time?
                    73,
                    Mark N5RFX

                    At 11:31 AM 4/12/2007, you wrote:

                    >The T2 is doing CTS/RTS flow control, not XON/XOFF.
                    >
                    >Scott
                  • Jason Rausch
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                      Stephen, below is a cross post I made on the HamHUD
                      SIG. This pretty much explains the status of the
                      project and kit availability...

                      --- Start Copy ---

                      Last night my local club (Virginia Beach ARC) had a
                      "Show and Tell"
                      meeting. We were asked to bring in any little projects
                      we have been
                      working on to show off. I had several little things I
                      have been
                      working on for RPC, but natually I had to show
                      somthing off with the
                      HamHUD. I brought in the breakout board that I have
                      been showing off
                      for a few months now. Keep in mind that I was showing
                      this to a
                      fairly green APRS group, most had never seen working
                      APRS, let alone
                      a HamHUD (or heard of it for that matter).

                      I immediately got questions of "How can I get a
                      kit???".

                      Which brings me to question...is there anyone else out
                      there looking
                      for a kit? The residual kit inventory left from Dayton
                      has been
                      exhausted, but I do however still have many PCBs
                      on-hand. There is a
                      local interest here for kits, as well as a small group
                      at Virginia
                      Tech looking for kits. I am considering a third
                      kitting to get the
                      rest of the boards out there. This would be a small
                      kitting and the
                      price would vary on that number. The main issue is
                      getting the cases
                      from Hammond. If there is enough demand, I might be
                      able to order a
                      small batch of the custom cases for the kits.

                      --- End Copy ---

                      I think that if we can getthe T2 working reliably with
                      the HamHUD, there would be another surge of kit
                      requests.

                      wrote:

                      > Ok all this talk makes me want to build one now lol.
                      > I'd like to breadboard
                      > one and play with it if nothing else until the two
                      > of them play together
                      > nicely. Sounds like it's in the works ;)
                      >
                      > Jason, can you contact me off list with a valid
                      > email? I had some questions
                      > about assembling one of these.....
                      >
                      > My email address is stephen.brown75@...
                      >
                      > tnx and 73's
                      > Stephen
                      > K1LNX
                      >

                      > On 4/12/07, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Yeah, I can add a command for that. Converse
                      > mode should work the same
                      > > as a TNC2 clone.
                      > >
                      > > Scott

                    • 'Scott Miller'
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                        For the regular T2, you can set BMODE to FLOW and the second serial port is sacrificed for flow control.  The T2-135 has the second serial port on the front panel and the Dallas 1-wire bus shares the CTS line, so you turn on flow control by setting 1WIRE OFF.

                        Scott