Both USB & DC Power source for OT3m?

  • qrv@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2013
      Do I need both the USB and the DC power source
      connected to my OT3m?

      I seem to recall reading something about the USB
      line carrying all that the OT3m requires.

      Did I misunderstand that, please?

      Is there any harm to leaving both connected so that
      when the USB cable is moved or disconnected the OT3m
      has a continuous source of powe?

      Thanks!

      --

      A blessed Christ-mas to you and yours! KD4E.com

      David (never Dave) Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

      Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com

    • Bob Burns W9BU
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 23, 2013
        > From: tracker2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:tracker2@yahoogroups.com] On
        > Behalf Of qrv@...
        >
        > Do I need both the USB and the DC power source connected to my OT3m?
        >
        > I seem to recall reading something about the USB line carrying all that
        > the OT3m requires.

        Tracker3 manual, page 15:

        "When the USB connection is in use, the tracker draws its power from the
        host system - no other connections are required for configuration of the
        unit."

        Bob...
      • qrv@kd4e.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 2013
          Got that.

          Question rephrased:

          A. Is there any problem with both connected during programming?

          B. When both are connected and the USB cable is disconnected
          doesn't having the DC power connected provide for a
          seamless transition?

          Thanks!

          David

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2013
            They should both be safe to use at the same time and yes, it'll provide uninterrupted power that way.  Just be aware of grounding problems - I've seen several trackers damaged when the computer and radio power supply are at different ground potentials.

            Scott

            --

            A blessed Christ-mas to you and yours! KD4E.com

            David (never Dave) Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

            Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com

          • yt9tp
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 27 4:09 PM
              > They should both be safe to use at the
              same time and yes,
              > it'll provide uninterrupted power that way.

              In my case, if I have OT3 mini connected both via USB and externam power source, PC cannot recognize it as an USB device. I have to disconnect external power source to make it work via USB.

              External power source and USB port share the same ground.