RE: [tracker2] Hamhud and Tracker 2

  • Jason Rausch
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
      --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

      > Jason was nice enough to build up my HH2 so I could
      > do some testing, but I
      > haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

      It was no problem. I just hope that will give you a
      chance to play with it and the T2. The only real
      issues I have are the Command Mode issue and not
      grabbing the callsign most of the time.

      The funny thing I noticed though is my T2-135 never
      has a callsign issue. The HamHUD grabs the call
      everytime from the T2-135, but it usually fails on my
      regular T2's.

      Jason KE4NYV
      RPC Electronics
      www.rpc-electronics.com

    • 'Scott Miller'
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
        Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it commands even if it's not in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */.  If the HamHud can be configured with the proper commands, that might do the trick.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
          Really?  It doesn't take a lot more than command mode.  In fact, it's easier to do some things like skip digipeater fields since they're fixed-length.  He's welcome to take a look at my KISS and AX.25 code if it'd help.  My KISS decoder is a simple finite state machine that handles the escaping and such on the fly.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
            Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled by default.

            Scott

            > Jason was nice enough to build up my HH2 so I could
            > do some testing, but I
            > haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

            It was no problem. I just hope that will give you a
            chance to play with it and the T2. The only real
            issues I have are the Command Mode issue and not
            grabbing the callsign most of the time.

            The funny thing I noticed though is my T2-135 never
            has a callsign issue. The HamHUD grabs the call
            everytime from the T2-135, but it usually fails on my
            regular T2's.

            Jason KE4NYV
            RPC Electronics
            www.rpc-electronics .com

          • Jason Rausch
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
              --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

              > Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled
              > by default.

              Well, we now have two options with that. The HamHUD
              is capable of both hardware flow control via the RTS
              line and/or XON/XOFF software flow control.

              Do you think that one would play nicer over another?

            • Jason Rausch
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

                > Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it
                > commands even if it's not
                > in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */. If
                > the HamHud can be
                > configured with the proper commands, that might do
                > the trick.

                How much of a pain would it be to add a command that
                forced the T2 into Command Mode on power up? I think
                that would really solve half of the battle. After
                that, the T2 pretty much acts like a standard TNC2
                clone at that point. That is really what the HamHUD
                is looking for. Can I assume that the T2 can be taken
                out of Converse mode the same way any TNC2 clone is?
                If so, the HamHUD already knows how to do this. It
                also uses the standard "CONV" to put the TNC into
                Converse mode.

                The major is issue is the HamHUD firmware is pretty
                much not going to be updated from this point on due to
                the future developments.

              • 'Scott Miller'
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                  Yeah, I can add a command for that.  Converse mode should work the same as a TNC2 clone.

                  Scott

                  > Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it
                  > commands even if it's not
                  > in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */. If
                  > the HamHud can be
                  > configured with the proper commands, that might do
                  > the trick.

                  How much of a pain would it be to add a command that
                  forced the T2 into Command Mode on power up? I think
                  that would really solve half of the battle. After
                  that, the T2 pretty much acts like a standard TNC2
                  clone at that point. That is really what the HamHUD
                  is looking for. Can I assume that the T2 can be taken
                  out of Converse mode the same way any TNC2 clone is?
                  If so, the HamHUD already knows how to do this. It
                  also uses the standard "CONV" to put the TNC into
                  Converse mode.

                  The major is issue is the HamHUD firmware is pretty
                  much not going to be updated from this point on due to
                  the future developments.

                  Jason KE4NYV
                  RPC Electronics
                  www.rpc-electronics .com

                • 'Scott Miller'
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                    The T2 is doing CTS/RTS flow control, not XON/XOFF.

                    Scott

                    > Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled
                    > by default.

                    Well, we now have two options with that. The HamHUD
                    is capable of both hardware flow control via the RTS
                    line and/or XON/XOFF software flow control.

                    Do you think that one would play nicer over another?

                    Jason KE4NYV
                    RPC Electronics
                    www.rpc-electronics .com

                  • Stephen Brown Jr
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                      Ok all this talk makes me want to build one now lol. I'd like to breadboard one and play with it if nothing else until the two of them play together nicely. Sounds like it's in the works ;)

                      Jason, can you contact me off list with a valid email? I had some questions about assembling one of these.....

                      My email address is stephen.brown75@...

                      tnx and 73's
                      Stephen
                      K1LNX

                    • Mark Miller
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                        Is hardware flow control configurable on a T2 or is it on all of the time?
                        73,
                        Mark N5RFX

                        At 11:31 AM 4/12/2007, you wrote:

                        >The T2 is doing CTS/RTS flow control, not XON/XOFF.
                        >
                        >Scott
                      • Jason Rausch
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                          Stephen, below is a cross post I made on the HamHUD
                          SIG. This pretty much explains the status of the
                          project and kit availability...

                          --- Start Copy ---

                          Last night my local club (Virginia Beach ARC) had a
                          "Show and Tell"
                          meeting. We were asked to bring in any little projects
                          we have been
                          working on to show off. I had several little things I
                          have been
                          working on for RPC, but natually I had to show
                          somthing off with the
                          HamHUD. I brought in the breakout board that I have
                          been showing off
                          for a few months now. Keep in mind that I was showing
                          this to a
                          fairly green APRS group, most had never seen working
                          APRS, let alone
                          a HamHUD (or heard of it for that matter).

                          I immediately got questions of "How can I get a
                          kit???".

                          Which brings me to question...is there anyone else out
                          there looking
                          for a kit? The residual kit inventory left from Dayton
                          has been
                          exhausted, but I do however still have many PCBs
                          on-hand. There is a
                          local interest here for kits, as well as a small group
                          at Virginia
                          Tech looking for kits. I am considering a third
                          kitting to get the
                          rest of the boards out there. This would be a small
                          kitting and the
                          price would vary on that number. The main issue is
                          getting the cases
                          from Hammond. If there is enough demand, I might be
                          able to order a
                          small batch of the custom cases for the kits.

                          --- End Copy ---

                          I think that if we can getthe T2 working reliably with
                          the HamHUD, there would be another surge of kit
                          requests.

                          wrote:

                          > Ok all this talk makes me want to build one now lol.
                          > I'd like to breadboard
                          > one and play with it if nothing else until the two
                          > of them play together
                          > nicely. Sounds like it's in the works ;)
                          >
                          > Jason, can you contact me off list with a valid
                          > email? I had some questions
                          > about assembling one of these.....
                          >
                          > My email address is stephen.brown75@...
                          >
                          > tnx and 73's
                          > Stephen
                          > K1LNX
                          >

                          > On 4/12/07, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Yeah, I can add a command for that. Converse
                          > mode should work the same
                          > > as a TNC2 clone.
                          > >
                          > > Scott

                        • 'Scott Miller'
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                            For the regular T2, you can set BMODE to FLOW and the second serial port is sacrificed for flow control.  The T2-135 has the second serial port on the front panel and the Dallas 1-wire bus shares the CTS line, so you turn on flow control by setting 1WIRE OFF.

                            Scott