OT2m, htx202, nuvi 350

  • mooneypilotjim
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 13, 2013
      I just picked up a 2nd hand OT2M to build a dedicated tracker.
      I hav a tinytrak4 on my home igate, a 30m igate running robust packet, and a little kenwood d72a for an HT.  I wanted a dedicated tracker that I could move around easily.

      Using a htx202, nuvi350 and a little hta-20 2m amp, will eventually install into a small enlosure or pelican case.
      Works great,   Is there any obscure settings or extra cool features that I should make sure to check?  I have all the basics covered I think.
      My version is Build 54680..   Is that pretty old firmware?
      thanks..enjoying the group.
      Jim  ag6if
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 13, 2013
        The wiki (wiki.argentdata.com) has some of the more obscure information.
        The scripting system can do a lot but not a lot of users venture there.

        The beta firmware version is ready to be promoted to production, but I
        haven't updated the listing yet. It's safe to use.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2013
          On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

          > The scripting system can do a lot but not a lot of users venture there.

          Old the foolhardy or adventurous walk on the wild side.

          What do you want your tracker to do?

          The best way to find out what the OT2 can do is to read the user manual.

        • wt9m
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 14, 2013
            Scott -
            Has the voltage report problem been fixed on the newest update ? It wasn't working last time I tried the beta version 56330 2-7-13

            Larry WT9M

          • mooneypilotjim
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 14, 2013
              Thanks for the feedbck, not going to mess too much with scripts, as I'm worried about the flash writes wearing out my box quickly..  I have read the manual, I am using command mode not the application at this point. (no windows available)
              There is a command to turn on "ring" assuming this causes the GPS to beep, becasue my tracker itself doesn't beep.
              Does the "save" command write last known position to the flash constantly?...I'm concerned about that also using up the 100,000 write limit and killing the flash prematurely.
               73
              JIm
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 14, 2013
                On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM, <mooneypilotjim@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the feedbck, not going to mess too much with scripts, as I'm
                > worried about the flash writes wearing out my box quickly..

                What were you thinking of doing with the scripts? None of my scripts write anything to flash memory. Everything is done immediately and sent out via RF or controls I/O.

                > There is a command to turn on "ring" assuming this causes the
                > GPS to beep, becasue my tracker itself doesn't beep.

                Nope, most GPS units will probably not accept a command to make them beep. The CTRL-G character is sent out the data port to whatever device is attached. If the application running on the attached device understands CTRL-G and beeps upon receipt of said character, then you will get a beep out of that device. (Think old school where you might be running Procom talking to a modem hooked up to a BBS)

                > Does the "save" command write last known position to the flash constantly?
                > I'm concerned about that also using up the 100,000 write limit and killing the
                > flash prematurely.

                The autosave function only writes the last known location to memory once the GPS signal has been lost for 30 seconds, hence the need for the unit to stay powered up for 30 seconds after loss of GPS signal.

                AUTOSAVE on|off

                When enabled, the tracker will save its last‐known GPS position as a
                permanent fixed position if the GPS fix is lost. This may be used in the
                case of a temporary digipeater or weather station where a GPS receiver is
                installed only during setup and is removed to conserve power. The
                system must remain powered on for 30 seconds after GPS fix loss before
                the position is saved.

                This time delay after loss of signal before writing is designed to keep from wearing out the flash memory.

                Are you thinking about taking the tracker up in your Mooney? You can configure the unit to change paths based on altitude. That's perfect for airborne trackers as you should reduce the path once you get airborne at a decent altitude since your signal will travel much further than any ground based digipeater can transmit. No need for an amplifier in the aircraft either!

              • mooneypilotjim
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 14, 2013
                  Your right the signal is solid when up in the Mooney, I usually take my kenwood D72a HT with me and let it ride along in the back seat...even the rubber duck gets picked up no problem. :-)
                  73
                  Thanks for all the help.