RE: [tracker2] Hamhud and Tracker 2

  • 'Scott Miller'
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
      Jason was nice enough to build up my HH2 so I could do some testing, but I haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
        Well that's encouraging! Would be great if you get the two to play together nicely, I'd really like to have one of these units myself.

        Good luck with the testing Scott and let us know how it turns out :)

        73's
        Stephen
        K1LNX

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
          How hard would it be to add a display option (and firmware) to the T2? Also, seems like the MIC-E messages could be added and switched pretty easily via firmware if there's an extra pin on the chip for a switch (would be helpful if the pin could read analog voltage input).

          Granted, I'd much rather have a finished T2 without these features than a more and more complex product that is never released.

          Tom, KD7LXL
        • 'Scott Miller'
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
            The main limitation is program space.  It'd be easiest to give a display its own processor, and have it handle all of the user interface tasks.  But you're right, for now it's more important just to get the thing done.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
              Stephen, when I have time, I have been playing with
              mating a HamHUD II to a T2. The main issue I have
              right now is the T2 will not power up in Command Mode.
              This is somthing I am hoping Scott will make an
              option. Basically a command like: CMDONSTRT ON|OFF

              That would force the T2 into command mode once it's
              done running it's self test. This would allow the
              HamHUD to grab the call and do whatever it needs to do
              before it puts the T2 into CONVERSE mode. The HamHUD
              basically depends on being able to take the TNC in and
              out of command mode and converse mode as it needs.

              For the testing I have been doing, I have been
              connecting the T2 to a computer, running HyperTerm,
              putting the T2 into command mode, unplugging the T2
              and plugging it into the HamHUD. I then power up the
              HamHUD and let it go to town. I have noticed that the
              HamHUD can't always get the call from the T2. I'm not
              sure why this is yet.

              Jason KE4NYV
              RPC Electronics
              www.rpc-electronics.com

              --- Stephen Brown Jr <stephen.brown75@...>
              wrote:

              > Has anyone built and connected a Tracker 2 to a
              > Hamhud unit? I'm real
              > interested in building one of these to use with an
              > OT2 in my car, but wasn't
              > sure if it would work?
              >
              > tnx and 73's
              > Stephen
              > K1LNX

            • Jason Rausch
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                --- Clay Jackson <clayj@...> wrote:

                > I'm not sure it will work - I know the current
                > HamHud software does
                > NOT support KISS.

                Nor will it ever. In Dale's attempt to implement
                KISS, he ran into some real issues with buffers and
                over all processor horsepower to handle the KISS. It
                is however doable through Command Mode. Please see my

                Jason KE4NYV
                RPC Electronics
                www.rpc-electronics.com

                > On Apr 11, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
                >
                > > Has anyone built and connected a Tracker 2 to a
                > Hamhud unit? I'm
                > > real interested in building one of these to use
                > with an OT2 in my
                > > car, but wasn't sure if it would work?
                > >
                > > tnx and 73's
                > > Stephen
                > > K1LNX

              • Jason Rausch
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                  --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

                  > Jason was nice enough to build up my HH2 so I could
                  > do some testing, but I
                  > haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

                  It was no problem. I just hope that will give you a
                  chance to play with it and the T2. The only real
                  issues I have are the Command Mode issue and not
                  grabbing the callsign most of the time.

                  The funny thing I noticed though is my T2-135 never
                  has a callsign issue. The HamHUD grabs the call
                  everytime from the T2-135, but it usually fails on my
                  regular T2's.

                  Jason KE4NYV
                  RPC Electronics
                  www.rpc-electronics.com

                • 'Scott Miller'
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                    Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it commands even if it's not in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */.  If the HamHud can be configured with the proper commands, that might do the trick.

                    Scott

                    --- Stephen Brown Jr <stephen.brown75@ gmail.com>
                    wrote:

                    > Has anyone built and connected a Tracker 2 to a
                    > Hamhud unit? I'm real
                    > interested in building one of these to use with an
                    > OT2 in my car, but wasn't
                    > sure if it would work?
                    >
                    > tnx and 73's
                    > Stephen
                    > K1LNX

                  • 'Scott Miller'
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                      Really?  It doesn't take a lot more than command mode.  In fact, it's easier to do some things like skip digipeater fields since they're fixed-length.  He's welcome to take a look at my KISS and AX.25 code if it'd help.  My KISS decoder is a simple finite state machine that handles the escaping and such on the fly.

                      Scott

                      > I'm not sure it will work - I know the current
                      > HamHud software does
                      > NOT support KISS.

                      Nor will it ever. In Dale's attempt to implement
                      KISS, he ran into some real issues with buffers and
                      over all processor horsepower to handle the KISS. It
                      is however doable through Command Mode. Please see my

                      Jason KE4NYV
                      RPC Electronics
                      www.rpc-electronics .com

                      > On Apr 11, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
                      >
                      > > Has anyone built and connected a Tracker 2 to a
                      > Hamhud unit? I'm
                      > > real interested in building one of these to use
                      > with an OT2 in my
                      > > car, but wasn't sure if it would work?
                      > >
                      > > tnx and 73's
                      > > Stephen
                      > > K1LNX

                    • 'Scott Miller'
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                        Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled by default.

                        Scott

                        > Jason was nice enough to build up my HH2 so I could
                        > do some testing, but I
                        > haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

                        It was no problem. I just hope that will give you a
                        chance to play with it and the T2. The only real
                        issues I have are the Command Mode issue and not
                        grabbing the callsign most of the time.

                        The funny thing I noticed though is my T2-135 never
                        has a callsign issue. The HamHUD grabs the call
                        everytime from the T2-135, but it usually fails on my
                        regular T2's.

                        Jason KE4NYV
                        RPC Electronics
                        www.rpc-electronics .com

                      • Jason Rausch
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                          --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

                          > Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled
                          > by default.

                          Well, we now have two options with that. The HamHUD
                          is capable of both hardware flow control via the RTS
                          line and/or XON/XOFF software flow control.

                          Do you think that one would play nicer over another?

                        • Jason Rausch
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                            --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

                            > Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it
                            > commands even if it's not
                            > in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */. If
                            > the HamHud can be
                            > configured with the proper commands, that might do
                            > the trick.

                            How much of a pain would it be to add a command that
                            forced the T2 into Command Mode on power up? I think
                            that would really solve half of the battle. After
                            that, the T2 pretty much acts like a standard TNC2
                            clone at that point. That is really what the HamHUD
                            is looking for. Can I assume that the T2 can be taken
                            out of Converse mode the same way any TNC2 clone is?
                            If so, the HamHUD already knows how to do this. It
                            also uses the standard "CONV" to put the TNC into
                            Converse mode.

                            The major is issue is the HamHUD firmware is pretty
                            much not going to be updated from this point on due to
                            the future developments.

                          • 'Scott Miller'
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                              Yeah, I can add a command for that.  Converse mode should work the same as a TNC2 clone.

                              Scott

                              > Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it
                              > commands even if it's not
                              > in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */. If
                              > the HamHud can be
                              > configured with the proper commands, that might do
                              > the trick.

                              How much of a pain would it be to add a command that
                              forced the T2 into Command Mode on power up? I think
                              that would really solve half of the battle. After
                              that, the T2 pretty much acts like a standard TNC2
                              clone at that point. That is really what the HamHUD
                              is looking for. Can I assume that the T2 can be taken
                              out of Converse mode the same way any TNC2 clone is?
                              If so, the HamHUD already knows how to do this. It
                              also uses the standard "CONV" to put the TNC into
                              Converse mode.

                              The major is issue is the HamHUD firmware is pretty
                              much not going to be updated from this point on due to
                              the future developments.

                              Jason KE4NYV
                              RPC Electronics
                              www.rpc-electronics .com

                            • 'Scott Miller'
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                The T2 is doing CTS/RTS flow control, not XON/XOFF.

                                Scott

                                > Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled
                                > by default.

                                Well, we now have two options with that. The HamHUD
                                is capable of both hardware flow control via the RTS
                                line and/or XON/XOFF software flow control.

                                Do you think that one would play nicer over another?

                                Jason KE4NYV
                                RPC Electronics
                                www.rpc-electronics .com

                              • Stephen Brown Jr
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                  Ok all this talk makes me want to build one now lol. I'd like to breadboard one and play with it if nothing else until the two of them play together nicely. Sounds like it's in the works ;)

                                  Jason, can you contact me off list with a valid email? I had some questions about assembling one of these.....

                                  My email address is stephen.brown75@...

                                  tnx and 73's
                                  Stephen
                                  K1LNX

                                • Mark Miller
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                    Is hardware flow control configurable on a T2 or is it on all of the time?
                                    73,
                                    Mark N5RFX

                                    At 11:31 AM 4/12/2007, you wrote:

                                    >The T2 is doing CTS/RTS flow control, not XON/XOFF.
                                    >
                                    >Scott
                                  • Jason Rausch
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                      Stephen, below is a cross post I made on the HamHUD
                                      SIG. This pretty much explains the status of the
                                      project and kit availability...

                                      --- Start Copy ---

                                      Last night my local club (Virginia Beach ARC) had a
                                      "Show and Tell"
                                      meeting. We were asked to bring in any little projects
                                      we have been
                                      working on to show off. I had several little things I
                                      have been
                                      working on for RPC, but natually I had to show
                                      somthing off with the
                                      HamHUD. I brought in the breakout board that I have
                                      been showing off
                                      for a few months now. Keep in mind that I was showing
                                      this to a
                                      fairly green APRS group, most had never seen working
                                      APRS, let alone
                                      a HamHUD (or heard of it for that matter).

                                      I immediately got questions of "How can I get a
                                      kit???".

                                      Which brings me to question...is there anyone else out
                                      there looking
                                      for a kit? The residual kit inventory left from Dayton
                                      has been
                                      exhausted, but I do however still have many PCBs
                                      on-hand. There is a
                                      local interest here for kits, as well as a small group
                                      at Virginia
                                      Tech looking for kits. I am considering a third
                                      kitting to get the
                                      rest of the boards out there. This would be a small
                                      kitting and the
                                      price would vary on that number. The main issue is
                                      getting the cases
                                      from Hammond. If there is enough demand, I might be
                                      able to order a
                                      small batch of the custom cases for the kits.

                                      --- End Copy ---

                                      I think that if we can getthe T2 working reliably with
                                      the HamHUD, there would be another surge of kit
                                      requests.

                                      wrote:

                                      > Ok all this talk makes me want to build one now lol.
                                      > I'd like to breadboard
                                      > one and play with it if nothing else until the two
                                      > of them play together
                                      > nicely. Sounds like it's in the works ;)
                                      >
                                      > Jason, can you contact me off list with a valid
                                      > email? I had some questions
                                      > about assembling one of these.....
                                      >
                                      > My email address is stephen.brown75@...
                                      >
                                      > tnx and 73's
                                      > Stephen
                                      > K1LNX
                                      >

                                      > On 4/12/07, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Yeah, I can add a command for that. Converse
                                      > mode should work the same
                                      > > as a TNC2 clone.
                                      > >
                                      > > Scott

                                    • 'Scott Miller'
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                        For the regular T2, you can set BMODE to FLOW and the second serial port is sacrificed for flow control.  The T2-135 has the second serial port on the front panel and the Dallas 1-wire bus shares the CTS line, so you turn on flow control by setting 1WIRE OFF.

                                        Scott