Hamhud and Tracker 2

  • Stephen Brown Jr
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
      Has anyone built and connected a Tracker 2 to a Hamhud unit? I'm real interested in building one of these to use with an OT2 in my car, but wasn't sure if it would work?

      tnx and 73's
      Stephen
      K1LNX
    • Clay Jackson
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
        I'm also interested (and have a HamHud 2 kit sitting in waiting); but I'm not sure it will work - I know the current HamHud software does NOT support KISS.  I'm not sure what it would do with the "command" mode.

        Clay
        N7QNM

        On Apr 11, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:

        Has anyone built and connected a Tracker 2 to a Hamhud unit? I'm real interested in building one of these to use with an OT2 in my car, but wasn't sure if it would work?

        tnx and 73's
        Stephen
        K1LNX

      • 'Scott Miller'
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
          Jason was nice enough to build up my HH2 so I could do some testing, but I haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
            Well that's encouraging! Would be great if you get the two to play together nicely, I'd really like to have one of these units myself.

            Good luck with the testing Scott and let us know how it turns out :)

            73's
            Stephen
            K1LNX

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
              How hard would it be to add a display option (and firmware) to the T2? Also, seems like the MIC-E messages could be added and switched pretty easily via firmware if there's an extra pin on the chip for a switch (would be helpful if the pin could read analog voltage input).

              Granted, I'd much rather have a finished T2 without these features than a more and more complex product that is never released.

              Tom, KD7LXL
            • 'Scott Miller'
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
                The main limitation is program space.  It'd be easiest to give a display its own processor, and have it handle all of the user interface tasks.  But you're right, for now it's more important just to get the thing done.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                  Stephen, when I have time, I have been playing with
                  mating a HamHUD II to a T2. The main issue I have
                  right now is the T2 will not power up in Command Mode.
                  This is somthing I am hoping Scott will make an
                  option. Basically a command like: CMDONSTRT ON|OFF

                  That would force the T2 into command mode once it's
                  done running it's self test. This would allow the
                  HamHUD to grab the call and do whatever it needs to do
                  before it puts the T2 into CONVERSE mode. The HamHUD
                  basically depends on being able to take the TNC in and
                  out of command mode and converse mode as it needs.

                  For the testing I have been doing, I have been
                  connecting the T2 to a computer, running HyperTerm,
                  putting the T2 into command mode, unplugging the T2
                  and plugging it into the HamHUD. I then power up the
                  HamHUD and let it go to town. I have noticed that the
                  HamHUD can't always get the call from the T2. I'm not
                  sure why this is yet.

                  Jason KE4NYV
                  RPC Electronics
                  www.rpc-electronics.com

                  --- Stephen Brown Jr <stephen.brown75@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Has anyone built and connected a Tracker 2 to a
                  > Hamhud unit? I'm real
                  > interested in building one of these to use with an
                  > OT2 in my car, but wasn't
                  > sure if it would work?
                  >
                  > tnx and 73's
                  > Stephen
                  > K1LNX

                • Jason Rausch
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                    --- Clay Jackson <clayj@...> wrote:

                    > I'm not sure it will work - I know the current
                    > HamHud software does
                    > NOT support KISS.

                    Nor will it ever. In Dale's attempt to implement
                    KISS, he ran into some real issues with buffers and
                    over all processor horsepower to handle the KISS. It
                    is however doable through Command Mode. Please see my

                    Jason KE4NYV
                    RPC Electronics
                    www.rpc-electronics.com

                    > On Apr 11, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
                    >
                    > > Has anyone built and connected a Tracker 2 to a
                    > Hamhud unit? I'm
                    > > real interested in building one of these to use
                    > with an OT2 in my
                    > > car, but wasn't sure if it would work?
                    > >
                    > > tnx and 73's
                    > > Stephen
                    > > K1LNX

                  • Jason Rausch
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                      --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

                      > Jason was nice enough to build up my HH2 so I could
                      > do some testing, but I
                      > haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

                      It was no problem. I just hope that will give you a
                      chance to play with it and the T2. The only real
                      issues I have are the Command Mode issue and not
                      grabbing the callsign most of the time.

                      The funny thing I noticed though is my T2-135 never
                      has a callsign issue. The HamHUD grabs the call
                      everytime from the T2-135, but it usually fails on my
                      regular T2's.

                      Jason KE4NYV
                      RPC Electronics
                      www.rpc-electronics.com

                    • 'Scott Miller'
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                        Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it commands even if it's not in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */.  If the HamHud can be configured with the proper commands, that might do the trick.

                        Scott

                        --- Stephen Brown Jr <stephen.brown75@ gmail.com>
                        wrote:

                        > Has anyone built and connected a Tracker 2 to a
                        > Hamhud unit? I'm real
                        > interested in building one of these to use with an
                        > OT2 in my car, but wasn't
                        > sure if it would work?
                        >
                        > tnx and 73's
                        > Stephen
                        > K1LNX

                      • 'Scott Miller'
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                          Really?  It doesn't take a lot more than command mode.  In fact, it's easier to do some things like skip digipeater fields since they're fixed-length.  He's welcome to take a look at my KISS and AX.25 code if it'd help.  My KISS decoder is a simple finite state machine that handles the escaping and such on the fly.

                          Scott

                          > I'm not sure it will work - I know the current
                          > HamHud software does
                          > NOT support KISS.

                          Nor will it ever. In Dale's attempt to implement
                          KISS, he ran into some real issues with buffers and
                          over all processor horsepower to handle the KISS. It
                          is however doable through Command Mode. Please see my

                          Jason KE4NYV
                          RPC Electronics
                          www.rpc-electronics .com

                          > On Apr 11, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Stephen Brown Jr wrote:
                          >
                          > > Has anyone built and connected a Tracker 2 to a
                          > Hamhud unit? I'm
                          > > real interested in building one of these to use
                          > with an OT2 in my
                          > > car, but wasn't sure if it would work?
                          > >
                          > > tnx and 73's
                          > > Stephen
                          > > K1LNX

                        • 'Scott Miller'
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                            Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled by default.

                            Scott

                            > Jason was nice enough to build up my HH2 so I could
                            > do some testing, but I
                            > haven't had a chance to get to it yet.

                            It was no problem. I just hope that will give you a
                            chance to play with it and the T2. The only real
                            issues I have are the Command Mode issue and not
                            grabbing the callsign most of the time.

                            The funny thing I noticed though is my T2-135 never
                            has a callsign issue. The HamHUD grabs the call
                            everytime from the T2-135, but it usually fails on my
                            regular T2's.

                            Jason KE4NYV
                            RPC Electronics
                            www.rpc-electronics .com

                          • Jason Rausch
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                              --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

                              > Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled
                              > by default.

                              Well, we now have two options with that. The HamHUD
                              is capable of both hardware flow control via the RTS
                              line and/or XON/XOFF software flow control.

                              Do you think that one would play nicer over another?

                            • Jason Rausch
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                --- 'Scott Miller' <scott@...> wrote:

                                > Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it
                                > commands even if it's not
                                > in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */. If
                                > the HamHud can be
                                > configured with the proper commands, that might do
                                > the trick.

                                How much of a pain would it be to add a command that
                                forced the T2 into Command Mode on power up? I think
                                that would really solve half of the battle. After
                                that, the T2 pretty much acts like a standard TNC2
                                clone at that point. That is really what the HamHUD
                                is looking for. Can I assume that the T2 can be taken
                                out of Converse mode the same way any TNC2 clone is?
                                If so, the HamHUD already knows how to do this. It
                                also uses the standard "CONV" to put the TNC into
                                Converse mode.

                                The major is issue is the HamHUD firmware is pretty
                                much not going to be updated from this point on due to
                                the future developments.

                              • 'Scott Miller'
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                  Yeah, I can add a command for that.  Converse mode should work the same as a TNC2 clone.

                                  Scott

                                  > Oh yeah, don't forget that you can always send it
                                  > commands even if it's not
                                  > in command mode by bracketing them in /* and */. If
                                  > the HamHud can be
                                  > configured with the proper commands, that might do
                                  > the trick.

                                  How much of a pain would it be to add a command that
                                  forced the T2 into Command Mode on power up? I think
                                  that would really solve half of the battle. After
                                  that, the T2 pretty much acts like a standard TNC2
                                  clone at that point. That is really what the HamHUD
                                  is looking for. Can I assume that the T2 can be taken
                                  out of Converse mode the same way any TNC2 clone is?
                                  If so, the HamHUD already knows how to do this. It
                                  also uses the standard "CONV" to put the TNC into
                                  Converse mode.

                                  The major is issue is the HamHUD firmware is pretty
                                  much not going to be updated from this point on due to
                                  the future developments.

                                  Jason KE4NYV
                                  RPC Electronics
                                  www.rpc-electronics .com

                                • 'Scott Miller'
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                    The T2 is doing CTS/RTS flow control, not XON/XOFF.

                                    Scott

                                    > Might be because the T2-135 has flow control enabled
                                    > by default.

                                    Well, we now have two options with that. The HamHUD
                                    is capable of both hardware flow control via the RTS
                                    line and/or XON/XOFF software flow control.

                                    Do you think that one would play nicer over another?

                                    Jason KE4NYV
                                    RPC Electronics
                                    www.rpc-electronics .com

                                  • Stephen Brown Jr
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                      Ok all this talk makes me want to build one now lol. I'd like to breadboard one and play with it if nothing else until the two of them play together nicely. Sounds like it's in the works ;)

                                      Jason, can you contact me off list with a valid email? I had some questions about assembling one of these.....

                                      My email address is stephen.brown75@...

                                      tnx and 73's
                                      Stephen
                                      K1LNX

                                    • Mark Miller
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                        Is hardware flow control configurable on a T2 or is it on all of the time?
                                        73,
                                        Mark N5RFX

                                        At 11:31 AM 4/12/2007, you wrote:

                                        >The T2 is doing CTS/RTS flow control, not XON/XOFF.
                                        >
                                        >Scott
                                      • Jason Rausch
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                          Stephen, below is a cross post I made on the HamHUD
                                          SIG. This pretty much explains the status of the
                                          project and kit availability...

                                          --- Start Copy ---

                                          Last night my local club (Virginia Beach ARC) had a
                                          "Show and Tell"
                                          meeting. We were asked to bring in any little projects
                                          we have been
                                          working on to show off. I had several little things I
                                          have been
                                          working on for RPC, but natually I had to show
                                          somthing off with the
                                          HamHUD. I brought in the breakout board that I have
                                          been showing off
                                          for a few months now. Keep in mind that I was showing
                                          this to a
                                          fairly green APRS group, most had never seen working
                                          APRS, let alone
                                          a HamHUD (or heard of it for that matter).

                                          I immediately got questions of "How can I get a
                                          kit???".

                                          Which brings me to question...is there anyone else out
                                          there looking
                                          for a kit? The residual kit inventory left from Dayton
                                          has been
                                          exhausted, but I do however still have many PCBs
                                          on-hand. There is a
                                          local interest here for kits, as well as a small group
                                          at Virginia
                                          Tech looking for kits. I am considering a third
                                          kitting to get the
                                          rest of the boards out there. This would be a small
                                          kitting and the
                                          price would vary on that number. The main issue is
                                          getting the cases
                                          from Hammond. If there is enough demand, I might be
                                          able to order a
                                          small batch of the custom cases for the kits.

                                          --- End Copy ---

                                          I think that if we can getthe T2 working reliably with
                                          the HamHUD, there would be another surge of kit
                                          requests.

                                          wrote:

                                          > Ok all this talk makes me want to build one now lol.
                                          > I'd like to breadboard
                                          > one and play with it if nothing else until the two
                                          > of them play together
                                          > nicely. Sounds like it's in the works ;)
                                          >
                                          > Jason, can you contact me off list with a valid
                                          > email? I had some questions
                                          > about assembling one of these.....
                                          >
                                          > My email address is stephen.brown75@...
                                          >
                                          > tnx and 73's
                                          > Stephen
                                          > K1LNX
                                          >

                                          > On 4/12/07, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Yeah, I can add a command for that. Converse
                                          > mode should work the same
                                          > > as a TNC2 clone.
                                          > >
                                          > > Scott

                                        • 'Scott Miller'
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 12, 2007
                                            For the regular T2, you can set BMODE to FLOW and the second serial port is sacrificed for flow control.  The T2-135 has the second serial port on the front panel and the Dallas 1-wire bus shares the CTS line, so you turn on flow control by setting 1WIRE OFF.

                                            Scott