Dire Wolf & Tracker 3?

  • qrv@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013
      I have a Tracker 3 set up with an Alinco DR-135 as a digipeater.

      I have a USB cable from the Tracker 3 to my Netbook.

      I have Direwolf running in Linux.

      When I open Dire Wolf in Console using either:

      "direwolf"

      "direwolf -p"

      "direwolf usbkiss -p"

      Even though I can hear APRS traffic it is not displayed.

      What am I doing incorrectly, please?

      Thanks!

      --

      Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

      David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

      Search with: duckduckgo.com

    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013
        You can't mix DireWolf with a Tracker 3.

        Dire Wolf is a sound-card application to be connected directly to a
        radio with suitable isolation and level controls and some provision to
        trigger PTT.

        The Tracker3 is a self-contained TNC that provides a serial port
        interface to the PC for access by APRS applications. The radio is
        connected to the Tracker3 which is then connected to the PC via USB.

        Unless you're trying to use DireWolf to decode the signals being
        transmitted by the Tracker3?

        Please explain what it is you're trying to do and what part of it isn't
        working. This forum can help you out with the Tracker 3, but you might
        need to go elsewhere to find experts on Dire Wolf.

      • qrv@kd4e.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013
          Lynn,

          It's the Tracker 3 ot3m model with the built in USB port.

          I know I've used another console-based app in the past and
          could monitor, even send a string of text, into the APRS system via the
          Tracker 3. (I don't recall the app, it was in Linux.)

          We went through some changes of computers here and so this
          Netbook lacks the setup I used to have.

          I just loaded xastir, which I have used before, though I don't
          recall how to tell it to look at the USB port and to display traffic - I
          have to review the manual. (I installed xastir despite the Ubuntu
          repository offering only v 2.0.0 rather than the newer version. (I
          have asked about the update path for xastir and received no reply.)

          WDYT?

          Thanks!

          David

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013
            On 11/22/2013 9:37 PM, qrv@... wrote:
            > I know I've used another console-based app in the past and
            > could monitor, even send a string of text, into the APRS system via the
            > Tracker 3. (I don't recall the app, it was in Linux.)

            The Tracker3's USB should present itself as a serial port under Linux.
            The only console-based app I could envision that would let you drive the
            Tracker3 would be a simple terminal emulator into which you could type
            manually formatted APRS payloads to be encoded and transmitted by the
            Tracker3. Anything the Tracker3 receives and decodes would be displayed
            in plain text.

            > We went through some changes of computers here and so this
            > Netbook lacks the setup I used to have.

            Every time I re-install a machine, I dutifully make a list of the
            software I put on it. And when I need to do it again, I can never
            locate that list!

            > I just loaded xastir, which I have used before, though I don't
            > recall how to tell it to look at the USB port and to display traffic - I
            > have to review the manual. (I installed xastir despite the Ubuntu
            > repository offering only v 2.0.0 rather than the newer version. (I
            > have asked about the update path for xastir and received no reply.)

            Xastir's support list is at:

            and I know they answer questions about building from source. Where did
            you ask and get no reply?

          • David Colburn
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 22, 2013
              Thanks. Was a short night last so need sleep & will get back at this in am ... After coffee. Thanks again. 73 KD4E
              Sent from Samsung phone.

            • qrv@kd4e.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 23, 2013
                ax25 was apparently not installed, odd that neither Dire Wolf
                or xastir checked for the presence of ax25.

                Anyhow ...

                I installed ax25-tools, ax25-tools, ax25-xtools.

                From Console "dmesg | grep ttyACM0" produces:

                "[ 18.647282] cdc_acm 2-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device"

                I believe that I need to run kissattach with ttyACM0 but
                am not sure from the dmesg output how to correctly do that.

                Help?

                Thanks!

                David

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 23, 2013