OT3 mini wiring

  • rooster4bravo
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2013
      Let me admit first off that I probably lack the understanding and skill-set required to tinker with things that require more than simply plugging in a cable. That said, I just don't seem to understand how to wire the OT3 mini.

      I'm simply trying to solder on DB9 connectors to match the OT3 so that I can use my existing cables for radio and GPS for now.

      For the radio, I have Aout to Pin 1, SQL to pin 2, Ain to pin 5, GND to pin 6, and VIN to pin 7.

      For the GPS I have Arx to pin 2, Atx to pin 3, and GND2 to pin 5.

      Both of these are connected to known working cables, radio, and Garmin 350, however the radio won't Tx, and the Garmin has that little "disconnected" symbol in the upper right corner.

      I'm sure I made an obvious error above. I'm just hoping someone could point it out for me.

      Thanks.
      Chadd
    • Ronny Julian
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2013
        I have not wired mine yet but one thing I have done is to solder two rails of pins on the bottom side of the board.  I then plan to put the OT3 Mini in a socket and mount that socket to a perfboard for connections.  I've never liked soldering directly to a device and heating up a board I could never hope to repair.

        Before you make a perfboard you can set it in a breadboard and try the connections before you start soldering.  The Breadboards they sell to go alongside the Raspberry Pi are so cheap now it is worth getting one to make things work well before making up a tidy version.

        $1.05 is pretty good.

        Ronny
        K4RJJ

        On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM, <kd0ofx@...> wrote:

        Let me admit first off that I probably lack the understanding and skill-set required to tinker with things that require more than simply plugging in a cable. That said, I just don't seem to understand how to wire the OT3 mini.

        I'm simply trying to solder on DB9 connectors to match the OT3 so that I can use my existing cables for radio and GPS for now.

        For the radio, I have Aout to Pin 1, SQL to pin 2, Ain to pin 5, GND to pin 6, and VIN to pin 7.

        For the GPS I have Arx to pin 2, Atx to pin 3, and GND2 to pin 5.

        Both of these are connected to known working cables, radio, and Garmin 350, however the radio won't Tx, and the Garmin has that little "disconnected" symbol in the upper right corner.

        I'm sure I made an obvious error above. I'm just hoping someone could point it out for me.

        Thanks.
        Chadd

      • Jason KG4WSV
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2013

          On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM, <kd0ofx@...> wrote:

          Let me admit first off that I probably lack the understanding and skill-set required to tinker with things that require more than simply plugging in a cable. That said, I just don't seem to understand how to wire the OT3 mini.

          I'm simply trying to solder on DB9 connectors to match the OT3 so that I can use my existing cables for radio and GPS for now.

          and those cables are tested and working?

          For the radio, I have Aout to Pin 1, SQL to pin 2, Ain to pin 5, GND to pin 6, and VIN to pin 7.

          looks OK. Don't worry about using SQL until you get the basics working.

          For the GPS I have Arx to pin 2, Atx to pin 3, and GND2 to pin 5.

          Skip the GPS until you know you can RX/TX.

          Both of these are connected to known working cables, radio, and Garmin 350,

          Oops, you already answered question 1.  But it wouldn't hurt to double check.

          Did you put a meter on it and make sure you have 12V (or whatever) on Vin, and have a regulated +5 at the 5V pin?  Did you use otwincfg to generate some audio test tones, and verify that the radio keys up and transmits them?

          Do you see any received data?

          -Jason
          kg4wsv
        • rooster4bravo
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2013

            Thanks for the replies.

            I did go ahead and check out my radio cable again, and it works fine with an OT3m and the diagnostics in otwincfg.

            I checked the voltage, and it's got the voltage at the board. The 5v works too.

            I used otwincfg to test the PTT, and it did NOT key the radio. This must be where the problem lies, I guess.

            The suggestion to use a breadboard is a good one. Before I ever started tinkering with this I put on pin headers, for the same reason. If my wiring is done correctly, then I'd guess I may have damaged the board.

[...]

          • caanuck
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2013
              I have two T3 minis working with Garmin Nuvi 350's Both had to be patched... first one I crossed up the wires and fried the board with dodgy soldering, second one I used dupont connections instead of wiring to the board and when it still didn't work I used the following information from Scott at Argent.

              This worked for me.

              It might be the port polarity setting - we've only run a few batches of
              T3-minis and I'm not certain they were all configured the same way.

              PATCH 005fff0104 (followed by a reset) will set TX to inverted, which
              should be what you want for the FMI cable.