Nuvi 350 slow to send msg/command to Tracker2

  • Teak
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 17, 2013
      I'm using a Nuvi 350 and Tracker 2, interfaced with the Garmin FMI cable and connected to a Yaesu 1900 with the Byonics M5S cable, which provides PTT, data to radio and 8v of power through the mic jack and audio from the radio speaker jack.

      When I try to send a message using -CALLSIGN or a command using --COMMAND, it takes a long time for the tracker to receive the data. The Nuvi continues to display Sending... in the Outbox.

      By a long time, I mean 5 minutes or 1/2 hour or more. There does not seem to be a set time, but it's generally not immediate.

      I've confirmed that the Serial Ports in the configuration are set to 9600 and Garmin (I know they don't both need to be, and that Garmin automatically sets the baud, but I set it just to be sure).

      Perhaps related: the ACT light blinks 3 times in about 2 seconds, then pauses, then blinks 3 times in 2 seconds, and repeats. When the light blinks, I hear a faint beep. The beep only occurs in the vehicle, whether the engnine is running or not, and not in the shack, where I tested on an FT-7900 and using the same Byonics cable.

      The system seems work otherwise by sending position packets in accordance to the Smartbeaconing settings and plotting on the GPS screen received packets. I can read the packet data in the "locations" menu. I have not yet attempted to receive message packets.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks

      Teak Phillips
      W0TLP
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 18, 2013
        Make sure you've got the latest firmware on the nuvi. If you still have
        trouble, you could try the 'erase all user data' option - I've seen some
        kind of corrupted message in the outbox keep the nuvi from being able to
        send anything. Also make sure you've got the latest T2 firmware.

        Scott

        On 10/17/2013 8:08 PM, Teak wrote:
        > I'm using a Nuvi 350 and Tracker 2, interfaced with the Garmin FMI cable
        > and connected to a Yaesu 1900 with the Byonics M5S cable, which provides
        > PTT, data to radio and 8v of power through the mic jack and audio from
        > the radio speaker jack.
        >
        > When I try to send a message using -CALLSIGN or a command using
        > --COMMAND, it takes a long time for the tracker to receive the data. The
        > Nuvi continues to display Sending... in the Outbox.
        >
        > By a long time, I mean 5 minutes or 1/2 hour or more. There does not
        > seem to be a set time, but it's generally not immediate.
        >
        > I've confirmed that the Serial Ports in the configuration are set to
        > 9600 and Garmin (I know they don't both need to be, and that Garmin
        > automatically sets the baud, but I set it just to be sure).
        >
        > Perhaps related: the ACT light blinks 3 times in about 2 seconds, then
        > pauses, then blinks 3 times in 2 seconds, and repeats. When the light
        > blinks, I hear a faint beep. The beep only occurs in the vehicle,
        > whether the engnine is running or not, and not in the shack, where I
        > tested on an FT-7900 and using the same Byonics cable.
        >
        > The system seems work otherwise by sending position packets in
        > accordance to the Smartbeaconing settings and plotting on the GPS screen
        > received packets. I can read the packet data in the "locations" menu. I
        > have not yet attempted to receive message packets.
        >
        > Any thoughts?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Teak Phillips
        > W0TLP

      • Teak
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 18, 2013
          Good call, Scott. The reset of the Nuvi did the trick. I thought I had done that but I guess not.

          All is working again. Message go to and from.

          Is the blinking of the ACT light normal?

          Thanks

          Teak

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 18, 2013
            What color is it blinking?  And what is making the beeping sound?  There's no speaker in the tracker.

            Scott

            On 10/18/2013 2:39 PM, Teak wrote:

            Good call, Scott. The reset of the Nuvi did the trick. I thought I had done that but I guess not.

            All is working again. Message go to and from.

            Is the blinking of the ACT light normal?

            Thanks

            Teak

            > Make sure you've got the latest firmware on the nuvi. If you still have
            > trouble, you could try the 'erase all user data' option - I've seen some
            > kind of corrupted message in the outbox keep the nuvi from being able to
            > send anything. Also make sure you've got the latest T2 firmware.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 10/17/2013 8:08 PM, Teak wrote:
            > > I'm using a Nuvi 350 and Tracker 2, interfaced with the Garmin FMI cable
            > > and connected to a Yaesu 1900 with the Byonics M5S cable, which provides
            > > PTT, data to radio and 8v of power through the mic jack and audio from
            > > the radio speaker jack.
            > >
            > > When I try to send a message using -CALLSIGN or a command using
            > > --COMMAND, it takes a long time for the tracker to receive the data. The
            > > Nuvi continues to display Sending... in the Outbox.
            > >
            > > By a long time, I mean 5 minutes or 1/2 hour or more. There does not
            > > seem to be a set time, but it's generally not immediate.
            > >
            > > I've confirmed that the Serial Ports in the configuration are set to
            > > 9600 and Garmin (I know they don't both need to be, and that Garmin
            > > automatically sets the baud, but I set it just to be sure).
            > >
            > > Perhaps related: the ACT light blinks 3 times in about 2 seconds, then
            > > pauses, then blinks 3 times in 2 seconds, and repeats. When the light
            > > blinks, I hear a faint beep. The beep only occurs in the vehicle,
            > > whether the engnine is running or not, and not in the shack, where I
            > > tested on an FT-7900 and using the same Byonics cable.
            > >
            > > The system seems work otherwise by sending position packets in
            > > accordance to the Smartbeaconing settings and plotting on the GPS screen
            > > received packets. I can read the packet data in the "locations" menu. I
            > > have not yet attempted to receive message packets.
            > >
            > > Any thoughts?
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Teak Phillips
            > > W0TLP

          • Teak
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 22, 2013
              The blink is greenish.

              No more sound.

              All is working, it just seems odd that the ACT light sort of flickers like that.

              Teak
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 23, 2013
                Flickering green indicates a busy channel. What that means depends on
                which DCD mode you're using. A green blink once per second just means
                valid GPS data.

                Scott