Re: [tracker2] DR 135 Power?

  • Clay Jackson
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 10, 2007
      Hi - sorry for the long silence; it's been kinda busy 'round here, what with Spring Break.

      Anyway, yeah, the T2-135 is spitting out a voltage report (it appears to be 1.2-1.4 V).   I'm having trouble right now keeping the GPS18 'online'; I'll bring the radio into my bench from the truck Thursday or Friday nite (meetings tonite and tomorrow nite) and see what gives there.

      Any word on more T2-135 protos?

      Thanks!

      Clay
      N7QNM

      ==========
      On Mar 26, 2007, at 9:18 AM, Scott Miller wrote:

      Wow, that's scary.  I hope the GPS receivers are more tolerant of -5 V than they are of +12.

      I made a firmware fix LATE last night for Baker to Vegas - turns out that the insidious timeslotting bug that's kept me from releasing a new OpenTracker build for some time now had made its way into the T2 codebase after all.  The good news is that I've got it fixed for both, now.  And came up with an idea for sub-second timeslot support while I was working on it.  Ought to at least work with the GPS 18, not sure about the Sony chipset.  Even mediocre radios ought to be able to squeeze a position report into 1/2 second.  If it works out, I figure I'll give it 1/4 second resolution.

      THEN we've got to figure out how to implement self-organizing timeslotting, like AIS.  Only AIS doesn't have to deal with a massive hidden transmitter problem, and digipeaters with overlapping coverage areas... still, even a simple slotted-ALOHA implementation would double the channel utilization.  A half-decent self-organizing scheme ought to be able to double it beyond that.

      Wait... is it a T2-135 that's reporting voltage?  They're not supposed to do that.  There's no 12-volt supply to measure, and no temperature sensor since I figured people wouldn't really care about the internal temperature in their radio.

      Scott

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 15, 2007
        Scott N1VG wrote (way back on March 26 2007)

        > Wait... is it a T2-135 that's reporting voltage? They're not
        > supposed to do that. There's no 12-volt supply to measure,
        > and no temperature sensor since I figured people wouldn't
        > really care about the internal temperature in their radio.

        I just posted a reply to a more recent message where I replied to Tom W3TMC
        about "Monitor voltages on boat" where I mentioned about the T2-135 that mine
        "shows something like 3.7 volts" when I have it report the voltage. I see
        also there's a copy of the T2-135 schematic in the files section. I'll snag
        that later and take a look at it. Guess I'll see then where the 3.7 volts is
        coming from that my T2-135 reports.

        PS - don't redesign the T2-135 just for me, but if you do ever add a voltage
        divider so it can report the supply voltage that would be nice. I know the
        temperature wouldn't be very meaningful, but I wouldn't mind seeing a
        temperature sensor added as well. Maybe it could just be a couple of pads on
        the edge of the board and leave it up to the owner to bring those wires to the
        outside world and hang a temperature sensor outboard somewhere.

        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      • Ian ZL1VFO
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 16, 2007
          ~Snip~

          > PS - don't redesign the T2-135 just for me, but if you do ever add a voltage
          > divider so it can report the supply voltage that would be nice. I know the
          > temperature wouldn't be very meaningful, but I wouldn't mind seeing a
          > temperature sensor added as well. Maybe it could just be a couple of pads on
          > the edge of the board and leave it up to the owner to bring those wires to the
          > outside world and hang a temperature sensor outboard somewhere.

          > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

          Well, if you were using one of these as a digipeater setup, it might
          be quite nice to keep an eye on your supply voltage and heatsink
          temperature somehow...

          -Ian ZL1VFO