t3-micro gps

  • wellmanl
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2013
      Is there a preferred orientation for the t3-micro for best gps capture? Is it better to  hook the dongle directly to the laptop or is it better to use an extension to get it away and orient it?
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2013
        warning, I haven't use a t3 micro, but I did look at pictures of it before this response. :)

        On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM, <wellmanl@...> wrote:
        Is there a preferred orientation for the t3-micro for best gps capture?

        Looks like it has a patch antenna.  The optimum orientation is for the square patch to be in the horizontal plane, with the flat side facing directly up.

        Is it better to  hook the dongle directly to the laptop or is it better to use an extension to get it away and orient it?

        I prefer to have something like this on an extension just to keep stress off of connectors.  Sometimes I bang up thumb drives hanging out of the side of my laptop, and I've seen (I'm in IT) a lot of devices seriously damaged because that USB connector held a thumb driver or license key so that it could take some physical damage when it got hit.

        I'd prefer the design used a through-hole USB connector so that I could desolder it and add a hard-wired cable, but TH stuff is more expensive to manufacture and takes up more board real estate so my odball habits aren't justification for a design change. :)  Especially when you can get an extension and accomplish almost the same thing.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv