OT3m issues any help would be great!!

  • digitalmaddog01
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013

      Hello all

      Ive ad the OT3m for some time and finally for it up and running in my f150 using the garmin 350 and had been fine for some time but I had noticed that after an output of aprs data the unit would not work -- well work the transmitter -- htx-242 would still continue to transmit -- I pulled out an ht to fins out what was going on -- seems lie it would transmit the aprs data then it sounds like just like the mic is open and there is a bump bump bump bump I have recorded it and will try to upload the audio of it -- if you listen to it -- that is my aprs data then the bump bump bump -- I killed power to it and you can hear someone else's data ( as being received via an ht )

      I have the radio mounted under the rear seat and had made my own cable to extend the connection to under the dash that has the OT3m - I created the cable out of shielded cat5 cable one end is in the radio the other is connected to the ot3m via a shielded serial connector -- there is the fmi cable connected to it as well I also fitted some rf chokes to the cable I made --

      Im kinda at a loss

      other issue is I wanted to update the f/w figuring that might solve the issue but upon connecting to the computer ( via usb ) and updating through the config program I get an " invalid address 8000 - valid range 0000-8000 ???? wtf --- my firmware is 56294 and wanted to go to the 56398

      thanks for any help

      Chad

      KJ4VYI

    • digitalmaddog01
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
        Got the firmware updated late last night -- it never dawned on me to look over the config program and locate the load f/w button in the middle right side of the display !!! I know I looked at it a thousand time -- musta been a short between the user and the interface!!Was late when I got things done and rain in the forecast for the next few days so ill report back if there is issues after I reinstall the ot3m and the noise and it keeping the transmitter on after the aprs data -- has anyone seen that before ?? I got the audio posted up on the files section if you want to hear what it does -- it does keep the tx on after the first aprs data send
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
          > transmit the aprs data then it sounds like just like the mic is open and
          > there is a bump bump bump bump I have recorded it and will try to upload
          > the audio of it -- if you listen to it -- that is my aprs data then the

          So you're saying that the HT is getting stuck in transmit mode after the
          tracker finishes its packet? Does unplugging the cable from the tracker
          cause the HT to stop transmitting? And have you tried running lower
          power or locating the antenna further from the cable? Could be you're
          getting RFI back into the cable.

          > other issue is I wanted to update the f/w figuring that might solve the
          > issue but upon connecting to the computer ( via usb ) and updating
          > through the config program I get an " invalid address 8000 - valid range
          > 0000-8000 ???? wtf --- my firmware is 56294 and wanted to go to the 56398

          Were you using the 'web' button or loading from a file?

          Scott
        • digitalmaddog01
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013

            not the ht but the htx ( the one used for sending the aprs data ) yep i can pull the cat5 cable connector out of the htx unit and it stops transmitting ( plugging it back in goes back to a state where it is ready to transmit again once the ot3m sends out another aprs packet ) then it does the same thing again -- keeps the transmitter on with no packet data ( after it sends the data )

            my guess is too that it is getting RFI -- i reckon ill have to put a few more rfi blockers on the cables or redo my cabling -- !!

            as far as the firmware -- i got it all figured out and i was loading from a local file after downloading from argents site

            Thanks

            Chad

            KJ4VYI

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013

              also the radio is a htx-242 mobile unit -- it will do it in low and high power

              i think the best thing for me to do is relocate the cables -- i got to thinking i did pull the radio out and further away from the antenna cable and i didnt have that issue

              Ill try to spend some time relocating some of the cables

              its crazy how rfi can do this

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
                The bzzzt...bzzzt...bzzzt sound is crosstalk from the GPS receiver's
                data line. Shouldn't be a problem, you're only hearing it because PTT
                is getting stuck on.

                Scott