Re: Small Affordable Self-Contained APRS?

  • wellmanl
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 21, 2013
      Look at http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=T3-Micro

      12v to usb for power. Make your own cable to radio of choice

      I have a discontinued http://www.byonics.com/mt-8000fa that does the
      same job but needs a gps puck and antenna

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "qrv@..." <qrv@...> wrote:

      > If I needed a small affordable self-contained APRS device
      > to mount somewhat-stealth on a vehicle or a trailer (so
      > hait's unlikely to be stolen or vandalized) what would that
      > be?
      >
      > In one app (a sedan) I can probably use a taped-on glass
      > antenna which would blend with an existing rear-window
      > antenna - then put the gear under the rear deck near the
      > speakers & grab 12vdc from wires in the trunk area.
      >
      > In the other apps I'd need to be somewhat more creative.
      >
      > WDYT?
      >

      > --
      >
      > Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
      >
      > David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA
      >
      > Search with: duckduckgo.com

      > Creative Tech: groups.yahoo.com/group/ham-macguyver
      > Raspi Alternative: groups.yahoo.com/group/beagleboneblack/
      >
      > Restored to design-spec at Heaven's gate 1Cor15:22

    • Javen O'Neal
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013

        I'm assembling a tracker that will fit in a under-the-seat bag on a bicycle.

        My requirements were:
        1. Frequency-agile with voice operation if needed in an emergency
        2. minimal size
        3. Minimal weight
        4. Minimal cost (theft concern if I want to leave the bike bag attached when my bike is locked up)
        5. Battery life for full day operation

        My setup:
        1. T-3 micro $65
        2. Baofeng UV-3R mark II, $33
        3. External 2600 mAh USB battery, $7
        4. TRRS audio cable to connect radio to tracker, $7
        5. USB extension cable to connect tracker to battery, $2
        6. T-3 micro enclosure made from wood, recycled

        This isn't as clean as Argent's T3-301, but provides frequency agility and voice operation.
        I have yet to see what battery life is like. If current draw from the T-3 is low enough, I may swap out the USB battery for a cable and DC-DC boost converter powered by the UV-3R's 3.7V battery.

        On Sep 22, 2013 5:15 PM, "qrv@..." <qrv@...> wrote:

        "$235 + $5 Shipping --- #RTRAK-HAB"

        "Currently Unavailable!"

        > RTrak HAB

        I'm hoping to keep the cost under $150. as I may want
        to deploy two or three of them.

        Argent Data Systems

        1. Tracker3 Model T3-Mini $40.00
        2. SRB MX145 Transmitter $69.50
        3. GPS GT-525 $38.00
        4. Antenna (incl w/GT-525)
        5. Connecting cables ???
        -----------------------------------
        $147.50

        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
          Oh yeah, I was answering questions about the magmount tracker.  I'm hoping to keep it under $160.  We'll see how the manufacturing costs for the housing turn out.  Batteries, too.

          Right now, the prototype looks like this, but with magnets on the bottom and an antenna on top:  https://www.plumbersstock.com/product/451/3in-slip-cap-abs/

          For sleep mode, it'd wait until your GPS speed dropped below a set threshold and then shut down (save for optional periodic beacons) until the accelerometer detected motion.  The GPS receiver is capable of reduced duty cycle operation in tracking mode, but I don't have any solid data yet on how well it performs in real-world APRS applications that way.  If you're going for more than two minutes between beacons, it certainly seems like it would be a good option, if I set it up properly.

          Scott

          On 9/21/2013 6:34 AM, qrv@... wrote:

          Scott,

          Not a huge rush.

          Are you thinking weeks or months?

          Will the price point be under or over $150?

          How would it be set for tracking vs sleep? 24/7 bursts then
          rest or detect motion or a timer?

          Do you have a pic of what it might look like?

          Thanks!

          David

          --

          Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

          David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

          Search with: duckduckgo.com

        • Bob Burns W9BU
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
            At 01:18 AM 9/27/2013, Scott Miller wrote:

            >The biggest new addition is a user interface module. The character
            >LCD support in the T2 and OT1+ was very primitive and ad hoc,
            >shoehorned into the APRS parser and built for only one display. The
            >new architecture provides an API that the display manager and a new
            >historian module can use to tap into the APRS data.

            I've been intrigued by the YagTracker, but the lack of a second
            serial port doesn't fit well with how I'd like to use it. I like the
            idea of a standalone tracker with possible connection to a mapping
            GPS receiver to which I can occasionally attach a computer or tablet
            running an APRS client program through a KISS interface. A T3 with an
            informative display and messaging for mobile use would be very
            interesting to me.

            Bob...
          • qrv@kd4e.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
              Have you considered a "sharkfin" type shell?

              They are very common now and less likely to stand out.

              WDYT?

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                I hadn't thought of that. Looks like there are plenty of shells on the
                market, but most of them wouldn't have much interior volume for
                batteries. We could probably vacuum form something here, though that
                sort of curve might be beyond my CAD skills. In any case, it'd still
                need a whip antenna extending from it, except for maybe a UHF version.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                  > I have yet to see what battery life is like. If current draw from the
                  > T-3 is low enough, I may swap out the USB battery for a cable and DC-DC
                  > boost converter powered by the UV-3R's 3.7V battery.

                  The micro *should* run directly from 3.7V, but I haven't tried it.

                  Scott
                • qrv@kd4e.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                    Can a SMA connector be attached to the tip to attach a thin antenna?

                    If it's all coated black it should remain low profile.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                      Will you include a GPS?

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                        What about the shell of a retrofit third-light?

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                          Yes, or for low cost it could be a simple M3 threaded brass stud, so we
                          can use the magmount antennas we already stock.

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                            Actually I just ordered one about two minutes ago!

                            Scott

                            On 9/27/2013 10:04 AM, qrv@... wrote:
                            > What about the shell of a retrofit third-light?
                            >
                            >> I hadn't thought of that. Looks like there are plenty of shells on the
                            >> market, but most of them wouldn't have much interior volume for
                            >> batteries. We could probably vacuum form something here, though that
                            >> sort of curve might be beyond my CAD skills. In any case, it'd still
                            >> need a whip antenna extending from it, except for maybe a UHF version.
                            >>
                            >> Scott

                          • smolesbrede
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013

                              I have managed to get a T3 micro + 1850 Li-ion battery + charge control/5v step up board into a 54mm x 38mm x 23mm ABS box. I had to remove the USB plug and file a little off the PCB. Then just add 2 USB mini sockets, 1 for PC connection and the other for charging and a micro slide switch and it's up and running. Coupled to a Wouxun KG-6UVD it works great. Nice work Scott.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                                That's similar to prototypes I'm working on here. TI makes a great 5V
                                converter that puts out 3 watts and is about the size of a grain of
                                rice. Kind of a pain to solder by hand for testing, but it works great.

                                Scott

                                On 9/27/2013 3:56 PM, martinju@... wrote:
                                > I have managed to get a T3 micro + 1850 Li-ion battery + charge
                                > control/5v step up board into a 54mm x 38mm x 23mm ABS box. I had to
                                > remove the USB plug and file a little off the PCB. Then just add 2 USB
                                > mini sockets, 1 for PC connection and the other for charging and a micro
                                > slide switch and it's up and running. Coupled to a Wouxun KG-6UVD it
                                > works great. Nice work Scott.
                                >

                                > ---In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <scott@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Actually I just ordered one about two minutes ago!
                                >
                                > Scott
                                >
                                > On 9/27/2013 10:04 AM, qrv@... <mailto:qrv@...> wrote:
                                > > What about the shell of a retrofit third-light?
                                > >
                                > >> I hadn't thought of that. Looks like there are plenty of shells on the
                                > >> market, but most of them wouldn't have much interior volume for
                                > >> batteries. We could probably vacuum form something here, though that
                                > >> sort of curve might be beyond my CAD skills. In any case, it'd still
                                > >> need a whip antenna extending from it, except for maybe a UHF version.
                                > >>
                                > >> Scott

                              • Javen O'Neal
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 7, 2013

                                  > Will you include a GPS?

                                  The T3 micro has a built-in GPS receiver. Perhaps you're thinking of the T3 mini, which requires an external GPS receiver.