Small Affordable Self-Contained APRS?

  • qrv@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 20, 2013
      If I needed a small affordable self-contained APRS device
      to mount somewhat-stealth on a vehicle or a trailer (so
      it's unlikely to be stolen or vandalized) what would that
      be?

      In one app (a sedan) I can probably use a taped-on glass
      antenna which would blend with an existing rear-window
      antenna - then put the gear under the rear deck near the
      speakers & grab 12vdc from wires in the trunk area.

      In the other apps I'd need to be somewhat more creative.

      WDYT?

      --

      Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

      David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

      Search with: duckduckgo.com

    • qrv@kd4e.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 20, 2013
        Is this everything that I need?

        Argent Data Systems

        1. Tracker3 Model T3-Mini $40.00
        2. SRB MX145 Transmitter $69.50
        3. GPS
        4. Antenna
        5. Connecting cables

        Is there another option?

        --

        Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

        David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

        Search with: duckduckgo.com

      • ve6srv
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 20, 2013
          If you want TX only, look at thr RTrak HAB. All of your list in a single package. Just add power.

          --

          Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

          David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

          Search with: duckduckgo.com

        • Bob Burns W9BU
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 20, 2013
            At 05:13 PM 9/20/2013, qrv@... wrote:
            >If I needed a small affordable self-contained APRS device to mount
            >somewhat-stealth on a vehicle or a trailer (so it's unlikely to be
            >stolen or vandalized) what would that be?

            An Argent Data T3-301? It's a 5-watt VHF radio with a Tracker 3
            variant built inside.

            Additional parts you'd need are a GPS receiver (an Argent GT-525 will
            do), an antenna, and a power source.

            I have a T2-301 mounted inside a Pelican 1030 case along with a
            GT-525 and an 8-cell AA battery holder. I used a BNC male-to-male and
            a BNC female-to-female to get the antenna connection extended outside
            through a hole in the case (a rubber grommet with a 3/8" inside
            diameter fits a BNC M-M quite well). The GT-525 is hot glued inside the case.

            Bob...
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 20, 2013
              What's your time frame?  I'm working on a couple of things that might be useful for this.  In particular, I'm working on a magnetic mount tracker based on the MX145.  The goal is to have the tracker, GPS, transmitter, and about 10 days of Li-ion batteries (30% tracking, 70% sleep mode) in a 4" diameter dome with a 1/4 wave antenna on the top.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 21, 2013
                Scott,

                Not a huge rush.

                Are you thinking weeks or months?

                Will the price point be under or over $150?

                How would it be set for tracking vs sleep? 24/7 bursts then
                rest or detect motion or a timer?

                Do you have a pic of what it might look like?

                Thanks!

                David

                --

                Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

                David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

                Search with: duckduckgo.com

              • wellmanl
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 21, 2013
                  Look at http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=T3-Micro

                  12v to usb for power. Make your own cable to radio of choice

                  I have a discontinued http://www.byonics.com/mt-8000fa that does the
                  same job but needs a gps puck and antenna

                • qrv@kd4e.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 22, 2013
                    "$235 + $5 Shipping --- #RTRAK-HAB"

                    "Currently Unavailable!"

                    > RTrak HAB

                    I'm hoping to keep the cost under $150. as I may want
                    to deploy two or three of them.

                    Argent Data Systems

                    1. Tracker3 Model T3-Mini $40.00
                    2. SRB MX145 Transmitter $69.50
                    3. GPS GT-525 $38.00
                    4. Antenna (incl w/GT-525)
                    5. Connecting cables ???
                    -----------------------------------
                    $147.50

                    --

                    Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

                    David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

                    Search with: duckduckgo.com

                  • Javen O'Neal
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013

                      I'm assembling a tracker that will fit in a under-the-seat bag on a bicycle.

                      My requirements were:
                      1. Frequency-agile with voice operation if needed in an emergency
                      2. minimal size
                      3. Minimal weight
                      4. Minimal cost (theft concern if I want to leave the bike bag attached when my bike is locked up)
                      5. Battery life for full day operation

                      My setup:
                      1. T-3 micro $65
                      2. Baofeng UV-3R mark II, $33
                      3. External 2600 mAh USB battery, $7
                      4. TRRS audio cable to connect radio to tracker, $7
                      5. USB extension cable to connect tracker to battery, $2
                      6. T-3 micro enclosure made from wood, recycled

                      This isn't as clean as Argent's T3-301, but provides frequency agility and voice operation.
                      I have yet to see what battery life is like. If current draw from the T-3 is low enough, I may swap out the USB battery for a cable and DC-DC boost converter powered by the UV-3R's 3.7V battery.

                      On Sep 22, 2013 5:15 PM, "qrv@..." <qrv@...> wrote:

                      "$235 + $5 Shipping --- #RTRAK-HAB"

                      "Currently Unavailable!"

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                        Might have some first prototypes in a few weeks.  Production is probably months away.  I'm doing a lot of development work on the T3 code right now, but I've already run out of code space - I can only keep working on the new code while I've got other functions (like Garmin support) excluded.  Prior to a new release it's going to have to either get slimmed down quite a bit through optimization (always a painful and time-consuming task) or I'll need to start separating out feature sets.

                        I'm also considering a switch to another Coldfire v1 series MCU that has 256 KB of flash.  It's also got some handy on-chip analog components, including op amps, that would reduce the component count for a complete tracker.  I'm laying out a demo board, but I'm anticipating some headaches getting the bootloader ported to the new chip.  In the long run, Freescale's ARM-based Kinetis line is looking like a more viable option.  In either case, the parts I want aren't readily available in production quantities yet.

                        I've forked the OTUSB/T3 family from the T2 code base, which has given me some freedom in cleaning up the code.  Lots of architectural changes are in the works that will make it easier to maintain and improve the code.

                        The biggest new addition is a user interface module.  The character LCD support in the T2 and OT1+ was very primitive and ad hoc, shoehorned into the APRS parser and built for only one display.  The new architecture provides an API that the display manager and a new historian module can use to tap into the APRS data.  When complete, it'll be relatively easy to support new display formats.

                        At the moment, the interface I'm working with most is a 128x64 monochrome display with a D-pad type 5-way switch.  It's the same resolution used by the YagTracker, and consequently looks somewhat similar.  The prototypes I'm working with aren't big dashboard type displays, though - they're small chip-on-glass OLEDs.  The smallest is 0.96" diagonal, and those are cheap enough that I can see them being used for configuration and status information on even entry-level trackers, including the magmount tracker that this thread is supposed to be about.  The 1.3" size is easier to read for a handheld device.  Both are about 1/16" thick, very high contrast, and take very little power.  For dashboard use, it's trivial to swap it out for a larger 128x64 LCD - I've written low-level drivers for a couple already.

                        Keep in mind that I can't make any promises about how much of this will make it into the standard T3 firmware release.  Space is tight, and adding a configuration menu to the UI is going to eat up even more space.  Also, the OLEDs aren't easily wired into existing trackers.  I see this work potentially going in three directions - new T3 derivatives with targeted feature sets (e.g., a handheld tracker that doesn't need Garmin FMI support), a T3 successor based on a bigger MCU, and maybe an add-on display head for older devices.

                        Then there's the new Bluetooth support, and experimentation with cheap 1-watt UHF transceivers.  Also, I got bored on Monday morning and wrote some code to drive WS2812 addressable RGB LED strings from the T3's keyboard port.  No idea what use that might have, unless you need your tracker to provide mood lighting or run a billboard display.

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 26, 2013
                          Oh yeah, I was answering questions about the magmount tracker.  I'm hoping to keep it under $160.  We'll see how the manufacturing costs for the housing turn out.  Batteries, too.

                          Right now, the prototype looks like this, but with magnets on the bottom and an antenna on top:  https://www.plumbersstock.com/product/451/3in-slip-cap-abs/

                          For sleep mode, it'd wait until your GPS speed dropped below a set threshold and then shut down (save for optional periodic beacons) until the accelerometer detected motion.  The GPS receiver is capable of reduced duty cycle operation in tracking mode, but I don't have any solid data yet on how well it performs in real-world APRS applications that way.  If you're going for more than two minutes between beacons, it certainly seems like it would be a good option, if I set it up properly.

                          Scott

                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                            At 01:18 AM 9/27/2013, Scott Miller wrote:

                            >The biggest new addition is a user interface module. The character
                            >LCD support in the T2 and OT1+ was very primitive and ad hoc,
                            >shoehorned into the APRS parser and built for only one display. The
                            >new architecture provides an API that the display manager and a new
                            >historian module can use to tap into the APRS data.

                            I've been intrigued by the YagTracker, but the lack of a second
                            serial port doesn't fit well with how I'd like to use it. I like the
                            idea of a standalone tracker with possible connection to a mapping
                            GPS receiver to which I can occasionally attach a computer or tablet
                            running an APRS client program through a KISS interface. A T3 with an
                            informative display and messaging for mobile use would be very
                            interesting to me.

                            Bob...
                          • qrv@kd4e.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                              Have you considered a "sharkfin" type shell?

                              They are very common now and less likely to stand out.

                              WDYT?

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                                I hadn't thought of that. Looks like there are plenty of shells on the
                                market, but most of them wouldn't have much interior volume for
                                batteries. We could probably vacuum form something here, though that
                                sort of curve might be beyond my CAD skills. In any case, it'd still
                                need a whip antenna extending from it, except for maybe a UHF version.

                                Scott

                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                                  > I have yet to see what battery life is like. If current draw from the
                                  > T-3 is low enough, I may swap out the USB battery for a cable and DC-DC
                                  > boost converter powered by the UV-3R's 3.7V battery.

                                  The micro *should* run directly from 3.7V, but I haven't tried it.

                                  Scott
                                • qrv@kd4e.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                                    Can a SMA connector be attached to the tip to attach a thin antenna?

                                    If it's all coated black it should remain low profile.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                                      Will you include a GPS?

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                                        What about the shell of a retrofit third-light?

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                                          Yes, or for low cost it could be a simple M3 threaded brass stud, so we
                                          can use the magmount antennas we already stock.

                                          Scott

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                                            Actually I just ordered one about two minutes ago!

                                            Scott

                                            On 9/27/2013 10:04 AM, qrv@... wrote:
                                            > What about the shell of a retrofit third-light?
                                            >
                                            >> I hadn't thought of that. Looks like there are plenty of shells on the
                                            >> market, but most of them wouldn't have much interior volume for
                                            >> batteries. We could probably vacuum form something here, though that
                                            >> sort of curve might be beyond my CAD skills. In any case, it'd still
                                            >> need a whip antenna extending from it, except for maybe a UHF version.
                                            >>
                                            >> Scott

                                          • smolesbrede
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013

                                              I have managed to get a T3 micro + 1850 Li-ion battery + charge control/5v step up board into a 54mm x 38mm x 23mm ABS box. I had to remove the USB plug and file a little off the PCB. Then just add 2 USB mini sockets, 1 for PC connection and the other for charging and a micro slide switch and it's up and running. Coupled to a Wouxun KG-6UVD it works great. Nice work Scott.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 27, 2013
                                                That's similar to prototypes I'm working on here. TI makes a great 5V
                                                converter that puts out 3 watts and is about the size of a grain of
                                                rice. Kind of a pain to solder by hand for testing, but it works great.

                                                Scott

                                                On 9/27/2013 3:56 PM, martinju@... wrote:
                                                > I have managed to get a T3 micro + 1850 Li-ion battery + charge
                                                > control/5v step up board into a 54mm x 38mm x 23mm ABS box. I had to
                                                > remove the USB plug and file a little off the PCB. Then just add 2 USB
                                                > mini sockets, 1 for PC connection and the other for charging and a micro
                                                > slide switch and it's up and running. Coupled to a Wouxun KG-6UVD it
                                                > works great. Nice work Scott.
                                                >

                                                > ---In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <scott@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > Actually I just ordered one about two minutes ago!
                                                >
                                                > Scott
                                                >
                                                > On 9/27/2013 10:04 AM, qrv@... <mailto:qrv@...> wrote:
                                                > > What about the shell of a retrofit third-light?
                                                > >
                                                > >> I hadn't thought of that. Looks like there are plenty of shells on the
                                                > >> market, but most of them wouldn't have much interior volume for
                                                > >> batteries. We could probably vacuum form something here, though that
                                                > >> sort of curve might be beyond my CAD skills. In any case, it'd still
                                                > >> need a whip antenna extending from it, except for maybe a UHF version.
                                                > >>
                                                > >> Scott

                                              • Javen O'Neal
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 7, 2013

                                                  > Will you include a GPS?

                                                  The T3 micro has a built-in GPS receiver. Perhaps you're thinking of the T3 mini, which requires an external GPS receiver.