Decoding HF packets

  • Suryono Adisoemarta
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 8, 2013
      Dear all,

      Can T3-Mini board decode HF packets?
      How good compared to hardware TNC (like MFJ / KPC )?

      Thanks, Yono - YD0NXX

      Sent from my iPhone4
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2013
        Do you mean 300 baud? Because whether it's over HF or not doesn't
        matter to the tracker. But normally on HF you're running 300 baud over
        SSB, and in that case the answer is no. I could modify the demodulator
        to handle 300 baud, but you'd have to worry about exact tuning of your
        receiver - it's not able to track a signal as it drifts, and there's no
        tuning indicator. There's never been enough demand to make it worth doing.

        Scott

        On 9/8/2013 4:31 AM, Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:

        > Dear all,
        >
        > Can T3-Mini board decode HF packets?
        > How good compared to hardware TNC (like MFJ / KPC )?
        >
        > Thanks, Yono - YD0NXX
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone4

      • Suryono Adisoemarta
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 9, 2013
          Scott, thanks for the info.

          Yes I should be more clear for 300 bps packets on SSB. So the answer is currently won't do packet decode.
          Very timely, as I was thinking of just try one on the bench. Now off to plan B with SoundModem on Linux.

          73 de Yono - YD0NXX

          Sent from my iPhone4

        • qrv@kd4e.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 9, 2013
            Would this be a good app for a RTL-SDR dongle and a PC
            (maybe a BeagleBone-Black or a Rasp-Pi)?

            --

            Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com

            David Colburn - Nevils, Georgia USA

            Search with: duckduckgo.com

          • F1MHV
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10, 2013
              Good day Scott,

              The question would be until which drift value (10hz, 30hz, 50hz?) the demodulator could handle incoming tones? Nevertheless, it's in my wish-list ;-)

              Cyril

              Le 9 sept. 2013 à 17:51, Scott Miller a écrit :

              > Do you mean 300 baud? Because whether it's over HF or not doesn't
              > matter to the tracker. But normally on HF you're running 300 baud over
              > SSB, and in that case the answer is no. I could modify the demodulator
              > to handle 300 baud, but you'd have to worry about exact tuning of your
              > receiver - it's not able to track a signal as it drifts, and there's no
              > tuning indicator. There's never been enough demand to make it worth doing.
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > On 9/8/2013 4:31 AM, Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:
              >>
              >> Dear all,
              >>
              >> Can T3-Mini board decode HF packets?
              >> How good compared to hardware TNC (like MFJ / KPC )?
              >>
              >> Thanks, Yono - YD0NXX
              >>
              >> Sent from my iPhone4

            • F1MHV
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 10, 2013
                And of course would-it apply for OTUSB?

                Le 9 sept. 2013 à 17:51, Scott Miller a écrit :

                > Do you mean 300 baud? Because whether it's over HF or not doesn't
                > matter to the tracker. But normally on HF you're running 300 baud over
                > SSB, and in that case the answer is no. I could modify the demodulator
                > to handle 300 baud, but you'd have to worry about exact tuning of your
                > receiver - it's not able to track a signal as it drifts, and there's no
                > tuning indicator. There's never been enough demand to make it worth doing.
                >
                > Scott
                >
                > On 9/8/2013 4:31 AM, Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:
                >>
                >> Dear all,
                >>
                >> Can T3-Mini board decode HF packets?
                >> How good compared to hardware TNC (like MFJ / KPC )?
                >>
                >> Thanks, Yono - YD0NXX
                >>
                >> Sent from my iPhone4

              • Gervais Fillion
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 10, 2013
                  Hi all members,
                  i wonder if i could recycle my old Baycom here to just try too decode some HF packet or some other modes that i can hear here?
                  just curious.
                  73
                  gervais
                  ve2ckn

                  To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
                  From: yono_adisoemarta@...
                  Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:58:21 +0700
                  Subject: Re: [tracker2] Decoding HF packets

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 10, 2013
                    I don't think there's a hard limit, it's just going to get less and less
                    reliable as it drifts.

                    Scott

                    On 9/10/2013 12:38 AM, F1MHV wrote:
                    > Good day Scott,
                    >
                    > The question would be until which drift value (10hz, 30hz, 50hz?) the demodulator could handle incoming tones? Nevertheless, it's in my wish-list ;-)
                    >
                    > Cyril
                    >
                    > Le 9 sept. 2013 à 17:51, Scott Miller a écrit :
                    >
                    >> Do you mean 300 baud? Because whether it's over HF or not doesn't
                    >> matter to the tracker. But normally on HF you're running 300 baud over
                    >> SSB, and in that case the answer is no. I could modify the demodulator
                    >> to handle 300 baud, but you'd have to worry about exact tuning of your
                    >> receiver - it's not able to track a signal as it drifts, and there's no
                    >> tuning indicator. There's never been enough demand to make it worth doing.
                    >>
                    >> Scott
                    >>
                    >> On 9/8/2013 4:31 AM, Suryono Adisoemarta wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> Dear all,
                    >>>
                    >>> Can T3-Mini board decode HF packets?
                    >>> How good compared to hardware TNC (like MFJ / KPC )?
                    >>>
                    >>> Thanks, Yono - YD0NXX
                    >>>
                    >>> Sent from my iPhone4

                  • Bill Vodall
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 11, 2013
                      > Yes I should be more clear for 300 bps packets on SSB. So the answer is currently won't do packet decode.
                      > Very timely, as I was thinking of just try one on the bench. Now off to plan B with SoundModem on Linux.

                      It's not quite the same as using the Tracker to decode the HF packets,
                      but FYI - there's some good development on the sound card modems
                      (UZ7HO, DIER WOLF.) They are now providing multiple receivers to
                      compensate for the off frequency transmissions as well as fixing bit
                      errors.

                      Bill, WA7NWP
                    • caanuck
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 8, 2014
                        Scott,
                        The ability to decode hf would be on my wish list as well.

                        I like the ability to use the garmin nuvi 350 as a messaging interface on 2m and together with the tracker t3 mini this could work on hf as well.

                        Using APRS I can send and receive position updates, send and receive email, do radio to radio messaging and more. To be able to add this to any hf radio with the t3, an Fmi cable and a 60$ nuvi would be fantastic.

                        The alternative is a laptop and cables, or a laptop plus pactor modem, or ?? All costing pretty big dollars.

                        Should we start a poll?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 10, 2014

                            > Using APRS I can send and receive position updates, send and receive email, do radio to radio messaging and more. To be able to add this to any hf radio with the t3, an Fmi cable and a 60$ nuvi would be fantastic.
                            >
                            > The alternative is a laptop and cables, or a laptop plus pactor modem, or ?? All costing pretty big dollars.

                            If you have the computer, Raspberry PI or better, the software
                            alternatives are getting better and the price is right..

                            - http://home.comcast.net/~wb2osz/site/
                            - http://uz7.ho.ua/packetradio.htm

                            Bill