RE: Profile switching with jumper - how to?

  • excitontx
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2013

       Roj,

      I have a T3mini, which is very similar to your Tracker 3 (T3).  The T3's "Accessory pin 8 - Digital I/O" line is equivalent to the T3mini "GP1" line.

      I constructed the profile switching scenario you stated above and loaded it into the T3 mini (same firmware).  I could NOT get it to change states by grounding the designed line.  However, the profile switching worked just fine when I jumpered the designated line to +5V rather than ground.  It could be a typo in the manual.

      Just to be on the safe side, I will load my configuration file into the "Files" section of this group (if I can figure out how to do it in this new Groups interface.  The file is called "Jumper Profile Test.cfg".  You can try it out on your unit.  My T3mini is not hooked to a transmitter at the moment, but in this file Profile 1 transmits every 5 sec and Profile 2 every 60 seconds.  Just by watching the red LED flash you can tell which profile is active, without the complication of having a transmitter.

      Let me know if it works out...

      Best,

      Chuck / KG5CA

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, <roj_blake42@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      I have a Tracker 3 running firmware 56398.

      I want to be able to switch from profile 1 to profile 2 using an external switch. (I know there are other ways of doing it but I want to use a switch).

      Page 31 of the manual states that the jumper setting in the profile switching settings refers to whether or not the CFG pin is pulled to ground.

      There is no CFG pin on the Tracker 3.

      A previous post suggested that pulling the IO pin to ground would work. But I can't get this working.

      I have set profile switching so that:

      - the only condition required to switch profiles is the jumper setting

      - Profile 1 switches to profile 2 when jumper is off. Profile 2 switches to profile 1 when the jumper is on

      I connected a wire between the GND and IO terminals but the profiles do not switch when this wire is connected or removed. (I know the profiles have not switched because I have set both profiles to transmit when switching and there are no packets being transmitted).

      I know that the radio and Tracker are otherwise working normally because I can get the tracker to beacon every x seconds and digi my packets.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks

      Roj
    • roj_blake42
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2013

        Chuck,

        Thanks for your response.

        I will look for your file and will try jumpering the T3 Digital IO line to +5V and see if that changes configs. I will let you know how I go.

        Roj

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 13, 2013

          Ok, following Chuck's suggestion, I have now confirmed that profile switching using the "jumper" option in the profile switching dialogue box is done (on the Tracker 3) by connecting the IO pin to +5 volts, not the CFG pin to ground as suggested in the manual.

          Scott, I recommend you change the sentence in the second paragraph on page 31 of the tracker 3 manual that says:

          "The ‘jumper’ setting refers to the state of the CFG input on the accessory port. The input is ‘Off’ when the CFG pin is pulled to ground"

          "the jumper setting refers to the state of the IO pin on the accessory port. The input is "on" when +5V is applied to the IO pin"

          73's

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2014
            Finally got a chance to update the manual. Also made a note in the
            wiki. Thanks for the catch!

            Scott

          • f1mhv
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12, 2014