Newbee questions Devlist and ds18s20

  • ve7mmg
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2013
      I wish to install a 1wire ds18S20 and I cannot find out how.
      Can I simply install the DS18S20 on the front of the OT and it will detect automatically and insert the external temp data in the comment field? Or do I need to create a script?

      I see in some of the treads a cmd:devlist, however I cannot find how to do this and from what scree or software.

      Last question is EXTEMP is mentioned, where do I find this or turn it on?

      I hope these are not so basic questions that I seem ingnorant

      Mike,
      VE7MMG
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2013
        On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM, <mike@...> wrote:

        I wish to install a 1wire ds18S20 and I cannot find out how.
        Can I simply install the DS18S20 on the front of the OT and it will detect
        automatically and insert the external temp data in the comment field? Or
        do I need to create a script?

        Searching the archives is usually a really good place to start...

        Here's Scott's quick and dirty suggestion:

        Here's a quick way to add a 1-wire temperature sensor to an OT1m or
        OT2m: Just cut about 2 mm off the end of a DS18S20's leads, and insert
        it into an RJ11 connector, so that the rounded part of the chip is away
        from the tab and (with the tab down) the leads are in the 3rd, 4th, and
        5th of the 6 slots, then just crimp it in.

        Here's the email when EXTTEMP was added:

        I just posted a new development build of the firmware that includes a
        new command, EXTTEMP, that lets you add an external DS18S20 temperature
        sensor.

        It's reported the same as the built-in temperature sensor (in C or F in
        the status text), and if you've got both enabled it'll send the internal
        temperature and then the external temperature.

        You can use this to get temperature readings from the T2-135 or T2-301
        where there's no internal sensor. To build a temperature probe, just
        wire the middle pin of the DS18S20 to the 1-wire bus connection (pin 8
        on the T2-135, pin 7 on the T2-301) and the left pin (with the flat,
        marked face toward you and the pins down) to ground. You can clip off
        the right pin.

        You should be able to run at least 10' of cable for the temperature
        probe, probably more depending on capacitance.

        I see in some of the treads a cmd:devlist, however I cannot find how to do this and from what scree or software.

        Here's a mention of the DEVLIST command:

        The DEVLIST command will enumerate all devices on the 1-wire bus. A TAI8515
        weather instrument should show up with 3 addresses, starting with 20, 10,
        and 1D.

        Last question is EXTEMP is mentioned, where do I find this or turn it on?

        It is mentioned above, and is also explained in the user manual. Connect a terminal program to the OT2 and you have access to the command prompt for both DEVLIST and EXTTEMP as well as all the rest of the commands.

        You can also access most of the commands via messages sent to the device over the air.

        I hope these are not so basic questions that I seem ingnorant

        You can save yourself a lot of time by searching the archives. Most of the basic questions have been asked and answered numerous times. You can get the answers right away without having to wait for someone to search the message archives and repost the information that is already available.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2013
          And of the OpenTracker USB / T2 / T3 series will support a 1-wire
          temperature sensors on the 1-wire bus. EXTTEMP and DEVLIST are accessed
          from the cmd: prompt - see the manual for details. You just need a
          terminal emulator program like PuTTY. There's also an 'external'
          checkbox in the latest otwincfg program by the 'temperature' box that
          does the same thing.

          Scott

          On 9/7/2013 11:34 AM, mike@... wrote:
          > I wish to install a 1wire ds18S20 and I cannot find out how.
          > Can I simply install the DS18S20 on the front of the OT and it will
          > detect automatically and insert the external temp data in the comment
          > field? Or do I need to create a script?
          >
          > I see in some of the treads a cmd:devlist, however I cannot find how to
          > do this and from what scree or software.
          >
          > Last question is EXTEMP is mentioned, where do I find this or turn it on?
          >
          > I hope these are not so basic questions that I seem ingnorant
          >
          > Mike,
          > VE7MMG

        • ve7mmg
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2013

            Thanks I get it now.

            The Telemetry reads TELEM: 138 000 000 000 000, 138 is the supply voltage, that's OK.

            Can I get the internal Temp sensor to appear in the Telemetry?

            If I read correctly the DS18S20 it's data in only viewable in Comment not in Telemetry.

            On 9/7/2013 11:34 AM, mike@... wrote:
            > I wish to install a 1wire ds18S20 and I cannot find out how.
            > Can I simply install the DS18S20 on the front of the OT and it will
            > detect automatically and insert the external temp data in the comment
            > field? Or do I need to create a script?
            >
            > I see in some of the treads a cmd:devlist, however I cannot find how to
            > do this and from what scree or software.
            >
            > Last question is EXTEMP is mentioned, where do I find this or turn it on?
            >
            > I hope these are not so basic questions that I seem ingnorant
            >
            > Mike,
            > VE7MMG

          • Fred Hillhouse
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2013
              You need to use a LM335 if you want temp in the telemetry. Verify the part number. I am going from memory.

              Best regards,
              Fred N7FMH

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2013
                > Can I get the internal Temp sensor to appear in the Telemetry?

                Not presently. It's on my to-do list to figure out a good way to allow
                the user to assign all of the telemetry fields.

                Scott
              • kenmc6922
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2014

                  Hi Mike

                  On my OT3m I have it connected to the 1wire, 5vdc and ground. TEMP off, EXTTEMP on, 1WIREWX on

                  TEMP

                  EXTTEMP

                  1WIREWX -- are commands that can be accessed through a terminal program on a com port just like a KPC

                  http://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FVA6KM-12&timerange=3600&tail=3600

                  It is showing most times in the comments and I have a script

                  On Second

                     increment Counter 1

                     if counter 1 = 300

                        exec "cmd wxinfo"

                     End Block

                  Seems to work, still testing

                  Ken

                  VA6KM

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2014

                    All the commands including devlist are accessible with a terminal emulator program like puTTY

                    Ken

                    VA6KM