Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [tracker2] High Power Rocketry and APRS?

Expand Messages
  • Joe Krout
    Good information Jason! I was wondering about frequency coordination and the two way communication the Altus system is using. I hadn t considered the radio
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2013
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment

      Good information Jason!

      I was wondering about frequency coordination and the two way communication the Altus system is using.

      I hadn't considered the radio shield/arduino route. More to think about.

      Another question, does the T3 micro have I/O capability like the mini board?

      I think I can start prototyping with what I have on hand.

      73
      Joe W0PWJ

      On Sep 4, 2013 9:16 AM, "Jason KG4WSV" <kg4wsv@...> wrote:





      On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Joe Krout <jkrout@...> wrote:
      I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for using a Tracker 3 mini or micro for onboard telemetry?

      I've got a radioshield+arduino with a barometric pressure sensor in the prototyping area of the radioshield, a Garmin GPS18, and an Alinco DJ-C7 mounted on the nose of a 4" patriot.  Works great.

      I'm interested in playing with the MX-14x line from SRB (I think Scott stocks them in the ArgentData store) for a smaller version.

      This weekend I'm going to fly a 1.3oz xbee based tracker.  If it all works out well I'll eventually add a microcontroller and use APRS as the over-the-air protocol instead of NMEA.
       

      Altus Metrum makes an ideal product for this,


      I disagree.

      The output power is anemic, one of the developers doesn't know the difference between RF gain and increased data rate due to FEC, and the configuration is convoluted enough that one team brought up their groundstation and fired the deployment charges on another team's rocket (surprise!). Fortunately there were no injuries.

      -Jason
      kg4wsv


    • Jason KG4WSV
      ... Define I/O capability . The answer is probably no - its only connectors are USB and audio. It is designed for direct computer attachment. It doesn t
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment

        On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Joe Krout <jkrout@...> wrote:
        Another question, does the T3 micro have I/O capability like the mini board?

        Define "I/O capability".  The answer is probably no - its only connectors are USB and audio.  It is designed for direct computer attachment.  It doesn't have any sort of locking connectors (e.g. DB9 with screws instead of friction fit headphone jack/USB) nor does it have mounting holes.  I don't think it is really suitable for flight hardware, but it would fit right in as part of your ground station.

        The mini would be OK for flight.  I'm thinking of redesigning our balloon tracker around it (instead of the traditional DB9 dongle package - the current incarnation being the OT USB).  While the mini lacks mounting holes, there are enough pins so you can secure it to a PCB that is in turn securely attached to the structure.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • Joe Krout
        Thanks Jason I see now that the micro does not have the extra data inputs of the mini. Perhaps Scott can find room in the next version for mounting holes. I
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment

          Thanks Jason
          I see now that the micro does not have the extra data inputs of the mini.

          Perhaps Scott can find room in the next version for mounting holes.

          I don't recall if you mentioned what brand of altimeter you are using with the arduino/radio shield.

          Thanks for your input,
          Joe W0PWJ

          On Sep 5, 2013 7:24 AM, "Jason KG4WSV" <kg4wsv@...> wrote:



          On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM, Joe Krout <jkrout@...> wrote:
          Another question, does the T3 micro have I/O capability like the mini board?

          Define "I/O capability".  The answer is probably no - its only connectors are USB and audio.  It is designed for direct computer attachment.  It doesn't have any sort of locking connectors (e.g. DB9 with screws instead of friction fit headphone jack/USB) nor does it have mounting holes.  I don't think it is really suitable for flight hardware, but it would fit right in as part of your ground station.

          The mini would be OK for flight.  I'm thinking of redesigning our balloon tracker around it (instead of the traditional DB9 dongle package - the current incarnation being the OT USB).  While the mini lacks mounting holes, there are enough pins so you can secure it to a PCB that is in turn securely attached to the structure.

          -Jason
          kg4wsv


        • Jason KG4WSV
          ... It s a Freescale barometric pressure sensor, MPX4000 series IIRC (same one used on the perfectflite altimeter, only in a DIP package).
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment


            On Sep 5, 2013, at 1:00 PM, Joe Krout <jkrout@...> wrote:

            I don't recall if you mentioned what brand of altimeter you are using with the arduino/radio shield.


            It's a Freescale barometric pressure sensor, MPX4000 series IIRC (same one used on the perfectflite altimeter, only in a DIP package).

          • Scott Miller
            ... All of the inputs on the MCU still exist, but on the micro they re not wired to anything. You d have to solder straight to the MCU s pins. Scott
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              > Another question, does the T3 micro have I/O capability like the mini board?

              All of the inputs on the MCU still exist, but on the micro they're not
              wired to anything. You'd have to solder straight to the MCU's pins.

              Scott
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.