RE: [tracker2] Re: FTM-350 using ot3

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 28 7:19 AM
      Hi Andy,

      I am a bit curious why you connected an OT3 to the FTM-350? What are you trying to achieve?

      First off, once the OT3 is connected to the radio, you will need to set the output level of the OT3. This sets the deviation of the signal sent through the radio over the air. Within the configuration application, there is a place to adjust this. If you have a deviation meter, great, if not, listening to the audio will get you pretty close. It can't be really quite or loud and distorted. Either case will render your transmitted packets undecodable.

      Other settings that you need to address are your call sign, transmit rate, etc. Knowing your end goal will help us help you.

      The OT3 just works for RXing. The audio signal is passed to the OT3 which decodes it and can pass it onto a PC or GPS for displaying. I am currently using mine with an FT1500 and it just works. I am also using APRSIS32 for displaying packets heard on a map. I did have to set the DATA port to PACKET and 1200 baud IIRC.

      For the radio, it looks like you will need to set E17 and E18. In each case, you may need to select DATA. What is unclear to me is whether or not this applies to the internal APRS system or an externally connected TNC. The may be additional clues within the APRS manual for the radio. Also there may be focus group for the FTM-350. It might be the best place to ask about settings to use any TNC. I assume the E17 and E18 will be the equivalent to my setting in the FT1500.

      Best regards,
      Fred N7FMH

      PS. Kriss isn't the only one that made the assumption.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28 10:12 AM
        Hi Fred thanks for all the info.
        I am using the OT3 with a Nuvi 350 & FTM-350 for Raynet use
        my original request for settings was because I was having difficulty in getting the OT3 and FTM-350 working together this has now been resolved, it is now just a matter of getting the settings to my liking
        for smart beaconing and as you have pointed out the audio levels as well.
        many thanks Andy G0MNI

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013
          SQL only matters if you have EXTSQL ON. What are your CDINVERT, EXTSQL,
          and SWDCD settings?

          Scott