power wiring

  • Chris Kantarjiev
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2007
      This was unexpected, but in retrospect perfectly logical. Not
      sure it's desirable...

      I have an old IC-27H mobile that I've slightly modified for APRS - bringing out
      full audio and switched B+ on the 8-pin mic connector. That
      all works great; I tested with an OT for a while.

      Tonight I finished up a powerpole box to connect the PS and battery and
      various bits and bobs. I plugged in the radio first, that worked fine.
      I plugged the T2 into the radio and it powered right up. Not exactly
      what I intended, but OK. (I have the internal jumper set to measure
      the supply voltage pin, not the radio voltage pin.)

      I then hooked up the supply to the T2. Fine. I wanted to do a little
      testing, so I turned off the radio ... but it didn't turn off. Huh?

      Oh. The radio is now being powered *through* the T2. Not really the
      right thing when the radio is set at 45W out!

      I guess it doesn't really matter to me, I can leave the T2 powered
      from the radio. But maybe there should be a jumper to disconnect this :-)

      73 de chris K6DBG